Search

'Downgrade' from CW to CE to Amman

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
'Downgrade' from CW to CE to Amman

Just received this message from BA:

Flight BA0147 on 21-Jun/LHR - due to operational reasons this flight will operate with a Club Europe seat instead of a Club World flatbed, there are no individual seat back inflight entertainment displays on this aircraft. British Airways apologises for any inconvenience caused

CW to CE is quite a drop in service, where do I stand as I guess it's still business class in their eyes. I paid for the flight with avios + companion voucher. Any advice welcome.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Some...
What would you like ? A compensation in avios/cash ? or a "free" change to another flight with CW?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Another flight is not really viable as I need to be in Amman for Friday. Although I'm not keen on shouting for compo at every little slight, a CW seat is what I paid for and in my mind I should be compensated but I'm unclear on what I can actually claim for.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:07 am

In the past I believe this has been around £150 or so on a prepaid card at check in as a good will gesture as rightly or wrongly it isn't considered a downgrade... some others on here may have more experience of any other/further remedy
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
Another flight is not really viable as I need to be in Amman for Friday. Although I'm not keen on shouting for compo at every little slight, a CW seat is what I paid for and in my mind I should be compensated but I'm unclear on what I can actually claim for.
If not happy just to book another flight and pay for it, there isn't much you can do

You arn't entitled to any statutory reimbursement since it is still business class - maybe you will get some compensation if you ask for it
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If this had been a cash purchase I suspect it would have been much clearer - it's an advertised CW service, and BA's own website promises certain things (like flat beds and personal IFE). This would have been a good case to use the Consumer Rights Act to claim that BA had not delivered on contract, and that there was a value attributed to that which should be refunded.

The same should, in theory, apply to a redemption - but BA might try and claim that they merely quote a given number of miles to travel that distance, which hasn't changed, and therefore they've delivered on that under contract law. They'll almost certainly roll out 'loss of enjoyment' and the Montreal Convention as a defence.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I believe sammyg901 is correct in terms of EU261, but (and this is as far as I am aware unproven) there may be the ability to use the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to remedy this

Pay attention to these parts

- Information on the service to be binding
If BA provides information on its products and services, e.g. via a website, and the consumer uses this information to make a decision about flying with BA, this information becomes binding on the airline.

- Consumers to enforces terms about services
If the service provided by BA doesn't conform to the contract made with the airline then consumers have the two remedies
Consumer Rights Act 2015

Do please let us know how you get on
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:21 am

I'm afraid I do not have experience how BA would handle any compensation request in this particular instance. This, however, raises two very interesting problems under Reg. 261/04:

First, is CE a "class lower" than CW? It's both sold as business class. I am not aware that this issue (widebody vs narrowbody business class) has been litigated in court yet.
Second, what, if any, is the downgrade compensation if you booked with Avios/miles. This issue was pending before the ECJ last year(a case against LH), but is not anymore (I am guessing here, but presumably LH wanted to avoid a landmark ruling and settled).

No legal certainty one way or the other, but enough leverage to negotiate with BA who may also want to avoid a landmark decision.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:24 am

It's pretty sad that BA don't have some kind of proactive compensation or service recovery in this situation, and instead would rather leave a cabin of objectively screwed-over premium passengers scouring the Consumer Rights Act.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:26 am

If you search on here there was a guy who suffered the same fate on a similar route to LHR - it might have been BEI-LHR.

BA made him go around the houses but eventually coughed up something decent.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by popmagnet
It's pretty sad that BA don't have some kind of proactive compensation or service recovery in this situation, and instead would rather leave a cabin of objectively screwed-over premium passengers scouring the Consumer Rights Act.
Tell me one airline that does in this situation, except the offer to re-route? I have yet to encounter one...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
There's not exactly such a thing as "Business Class" on BA. This is, by their own admission, a downgrade from "Club World" to "Club Europe" (with the former guaranteeing a fold-flat bed) and thus he's entitled to compensation - admittedly it won't be huge and he'd probably rather have a lie-flat bed and a good sleep, but the downgrade will at least be acknowledged.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by creflo
Tell me one airline that does in this situation, except the offer to re-route? I have yet to encounter one...
Fair enough, if you insist: It's pretty sad that all airlines don't have some kind of proactive compensation or service recovery in this situation.
creflo likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by popmagnet
Fair enough, if you insist: It's pretty sad that all airlines don't have some kind of proactive compensation or service recovery in this situation.
Tell me one company (not only among airlines) who gives a proactive compensation to all customers when they deliver but without the a perfect level of quality... (sorry, I couldn't find another expression to compare)
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
There's not exactly such a thing as "Business Class" on BA. This is, by their own admission, a downgrade from "Club World" to "Club Europe" (with the former guaranteeing a fold-flat bed) and thus he's entitled to compensation - admittedly it won't be huge and he'd probably rather have a lie-flat bed and a good sleep, but the downgrade will at least be acknowledged.
There are good and convincing arguments in favor of this position. But one thing is certain: BA's position will be quite different once this is in court and the lawyers had a go at it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.