Wiki Posts
Search

'Downgrade' from CW to CE to Amman

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:32 am
xdh

Programs: BD*G
Originally Posted by thibderoc
Tell me one company (not only among airlines) who gives a proactive compensation to all customers when they deliver but without the a perfect level of quality... (sorry, I couldn't find another expression to compare)
United - In E+ the IFE was broken in the section I was in - we all got comped free drinks for the whole flight (LHR-SFO) and upon landing I had an email to pick either some miles or some vouchers for future travel.

United - in F - the 777 I was booked in was supposed to be the new first class product but was switched at the last minute to some ancient 777 which still had F but it was a very poor version (tape based IFE). Again, upon landing there was an email offering up miles or vouchers.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by thibderoc
Tell me one company (not only among airlines) who gives a proactive compensation to all customers when they deliver but without the a perfect level of quality... (sorry, I couldn't find another expression to compare)
Originally Posted by xdh
United - In E+ the IFE was broken in the section I was in - we all got comped free drinks for the whole flight (LHR-SFO) and upon landing I had an email to pick either some miles or some vouchers for future travel.

United - in F - the 777 I was booked in was supposed to be the new first class product but was switched at the last minute to some ancient 777 which still had F but it was a very poor version (tape based IFE). Again, upon landing there was an email offering up miles or vouchers.
On AA last summer we got a 767 with the old slopey J seats for MAN-JFK instead of the new flat-bed ones, and by the time we landed I had an email from AA stating that a $500 voucher EACH for myself and my travelling companion on the same PNR was on the way in the post.
Gerbs likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Well this is one of those days you remember why you fly BA. I contacted them over the phone and spoke to a very nice young man who spent some time really looking into the issue and rebooked me onto the Royal Jordanian 787 in J. Pretty good result in my view, not sure of the seat situation yet as it appears to have gone under airport control and I can't see seats until check-in opens in 20 mins but even if we're not together I'm sure we'll survive.

Well done BA (staff)!
Gerbs, EuropeanPete, nivsy and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Excellent news and thanks for reporting back. Enjoy the 787 in J with RJA.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dewidaniels
You could try asking whether BA will transfer you to the Royal Jordanian flight. I agree with you that Club Europe is not a comparable product to Club World, though BA will probably argue they're both "business class".
Not sure why anyone would actively choose BA club world over RJ 787 in the first place. It simply is not worth flying BA Cramp World today unless you do not have a decent alternative.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
Well this is one of those days you remember why you fly BA. I contacted them over the phone and spoke to a very nice young man who spent some time really looking into the issue and rebooked me onto the Royal Jordanian 787 in J. Pretty good result in my view, not sure of the seat situation yet as it appears to have gone under airport control and I can't see seats until check-in opens in 20 mins but even if we're not together I'm sure we'll survive.

Well done BA (staff)!
I suspect the RJ flight had award availability, it often does last minute, and BA just changed your U class booking on BA to U class on RJ.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by popmagnet
We're not talking about a level of quality, we're talking about a different product.
If I do a Tesco online shop and they're out of Tesco Finest Prosciutto and give me Bernard Matthews turkey ham instead, Tesco automatically refunds the difference.
If I order in a restaurant and the waiter comes back to the table and says 'sorry, we're out of steak' and I order a burger instead, I would expect to pay for the burger and not the steak.
If I send a mate to the shop with Ł20 for a bottle of wine and he comes back with a bottle of Blue Nun as that's all they had, I'd expect change.
I agree with you, but the routes where BA runs both a LH aircraft with CW seats and SH aircraft with the regular CE, there's no premium price attached to the CW product.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by binman
Not sure why anyone would actively choose BA club world over RJ 787 in the first place. It simply is not worth flying BA Cramp World today unless you do not have a decent alternative.
Maybe BA is Ł100 cheaper than RJ or the times are more convenient?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox

On AA last summer we got a 767 with the old slopey J seats for MAN-JFK instead of the new flat-bed ones, and by the time we landed I had an email from AA stating that a $500 voucher EACH for myself and my travelling companion on the same PNR was on the way in the post.
Likewise, I got a very stroppy CSD on AA on a similar situation with AA who was rather whimpish. Had no customer interactive skills nor could deal with me while i complained. When I eventually checked my own AA account, email vents I received 20000 AA points . BA do market differently CW and CE.

Last edited by nivsy; Jun 20, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I agree with you, but the routes where BA runs both a LH aircraft with CW seats and SH aircraft with the regular CE, there's no premium price attached to the CW product.
Do they sell under the different brands, and hence offer flat bed on some and not on others?

Good outcome for OP ^^^.

Leaving aside the seat, would rest of service have been CW or would that be CE as well?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Do they sell under the different brands, and hence offer flat bed on some and not on others?

Good outcome for OP ^^^.

Leaving aside the seat, would rest of service have been CW or would that be CE as well?
Great outcome for OP, but if I think back to trips to ARN, FRA, or MAD, I’ve often benefited from a CW seat... I think FTers have an advantage here!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage

Great outcome for OP, but if I think back to trips to ARN, FRA, or MAD, I’ve often benefited from a CW seat... I think FTers have an advantage here!
Those are 2 hours flights versus over 5 for Amman so the benefit in your case is somewhat limited. But nice in any case 😀
Good outcome for the OP
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Here is some evidence that CW IS a different product to CE on LHR<>AMM. It comes from pricing.

First of all I tried pricing LHR-AMM-LHR on ba.com and got:

18JUL 1605 LHR AMM 2320 I
25JUL 0800 AMM LHR 1140 I
FARE = GBP 1,023, TAX = GBP 340.71, TOTAL = GBP 1,363.71

Note that GBP 1,023 is the fare with basis INNC04S7 currently filed and visible in Expert Flyer

Then I tried pricing LHR-LCA-LHR on ba.com and got:

18JUL 0715 LHR LCA 1350 D
25JUL 1440 LCA LHR 1735 I
FARE = GBP 714, TAX = GBP 66.50, TOTAL = GBP 780.50

Note that GBP 714 combines using half-return logic the fares with basis DHV3R (GBP 873) and IHM0V2R (GBP 555) currently filed and visible in Expert Flyer

Half return logic in this case means that you take 50% of the D fare and 50% of the I fare and add them together to correctly price a ticket using more than one inventory class

So far so good...

Now here is the juicy bit...

If I price LHR-AMM/LCA-LHR on ba.com I get:

18JUL 1605 LHR AMM 2320 C
25JUL 1440 LCA LHR 1735 I
FARE = GBP 2,175, TAX = GBP 306.41, TOTAL = GBP 2,481.41

Now Expert Flyer shows the following filed fares valid for booking into fare bucket C on LHR<>AMM:

CIF (YY, OW) = GBP 2,561
CNNC0S5 (BA, RT) = GBP 2,794
CIF (YY, RT) = GBP 3,659

It also shows the following filed fares valid for booking into fare bucket I on LHR<>LCA and LCA<>LHR:

IV2W (point of origin Cyprus) = GBP 315
IHV2K (point of origin UK) = GBP 361
IHM0V2R (point of origin UK) = GBP 555
IHMOV2H (point of origin Cyprus) = GBP 564

I note with interest that you cannot combine any of the C fares with any of the I fares to construct the fare quoted. Which means that something else must be happening behind the scenes and hence BA must be using some technique to artificially inflate the fares because the LHR<>AMM product is deemed superior to the LHR<>LCA product.

My best guess would be that this is a case of the so-called Higher Intermediate Point (HIP). Or at least a certain species marrying HIP and inventory control somehow. One of the reasons that airlines use HIP is to ensure that passengers do not get to experience longhaul premium at less than the one-way fare by combining it with a second half of the trip from somewhere with shorthaul premium.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
My best guess would be that this is a case of the so-called Higher Intermediate Point (HIP). Or at least a certain species marrying HIP and inventory control somehow. One of the reasons that airlines use HIP is to ensure that passengers do not get to experience longhaul premium at less than the one-way fare by combining it with a second half of the trip from somewhere with shorthaul premium.
None of that means anything other than that LHR-AMM is priced differently to LHR-LCA

HIP doesn't impact routing - it only comes into play where a stopover occurs. You can transit without worrying about HIP/HIF

The YY CIF fare can be used to go LHR-AMM-LCA as long as the 5% supplement for the MPM being exceeded by 5% is paid and as long as there are YY participating airlines for each of those sectors

GBP1350 plus GBP67.50 plus taxes for LHR-AMM-LCA would be valid as long as no stopover
Put a stopover in at AMM then then HIP rule would apply and the fare would increase to GBP2561
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was looking a while ago at LHR - MAD, and seats in J on the A320 and B777 are the same price.

I was on an ex EU from IST - PER via AUH with EY a year or so ago, I booked BA CE to get to IST, which was originally a 767, but got upgraded to mid haul 321. From IST to AUH I was originally on a 787 in J, which was downgraded to a 321. I guess it's a case of some you win, some you loose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.