Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Downgrade' from CW to CE to Amman

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:52 am

Is there potential precedence for the comparative rates of compensation BA have offered to passengers moved to the QR A330 flights. I would imagine that a move from a CW to CE seat would have a higher loss of enjoyment/expectation (if that's the right term) than going from BA F to QR J. It could be argued in this case you are getting the longhaul equivalent of WTP and should be compensated accordingly.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:56 am

Here is the old thread (from 2013) covering the same situation and resolution offered by BA at the time. I remember commenting on it then so was easy for me to find.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by thibderoc
Tell me one company (not only among airlines) who gives a proactive compensation to all customers when they deliver but without the a perfect level of quality... (sorry, I couldn't find another expression to compare)
We're not talking about a level of quality, we're talking about a different product.
If I do a Tesco online shop and they're out of Tesco Finest Prosciutto and give me Bernard Matthews turkey ham instead, Tesco automatically refunds the difference.
If I order in a restaurant and the waiter comes back to the table and says 'sorry, we're out of steak' and I order a burger instead, I would expect to pay for the burger and not the steak.
If I send a mate to the shop with £20 for a bottle of wine and he comes back with a bottle of Blue Nun as that's all they had, I'd expect change.
ThatT1Feeling and dylanks like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:19 am

This used to happen regularly on LHR-TLV when they used 767. Standard compensation CW to CE was IIRC 150 pounds or so, but they was few years ago so may be higher now.
Pax booked in WTP received an 'upgrade' to CE and no compensation.
Flight length is comparable
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by 2035
This used to happen regularly on LHR-TLV when they used 767. Standard compensation CW to CE was IIRC 150 pounds or so, but they was few years ago so may be higher now.
thanks, do you know if this is proactively offered (yeah I know!!)? Would it be worth approaching the customer service desk in the lounge or contacting customer services after the flight?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If this had been a cash purchase I suspect it would have been much clearer - it's an advertised CW service, and BA's own website promises certain things (like flat beds and personal IFE). This would have been a good case to use the Consumer Rights Act to claim that BA had not delivered on contract, and that there was a value attributed to that which should be refunded.

The same should, in theory, apply to a redemption - but BA might try and claim that they merely quote a given number of miles to travel that distance, which hasn't changed, and therefore they've delivered on that under contract law. They'll almost certainly roll out 'loss of enjoyment' and the Montreal Convention as a defence.
Whether paid for by cash or avios, miles, points, gumdrop, or whatever, it is still payment.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
thanks, do you know if this is proactively offered (yeah I know!!)? Would it be worth approaching the customer service desk in the lounge or contacting customer services after the flight?
It was always proactively offered, with the option being given to move to a later flight with CW.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by thibderoc
Tell me one company (not only among airlines) who gives a proactive compensation to all customers when they deliver but without the a perfect level of quality... (sorry, I couldn't find another expression to compare)
Once my KLM flight was delayed due to a disruptive passenger, but not enough to trigger EU261. They sent me an SMS the same day with a £75 voucher code. It can happen!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It should be noted that AMM has been operated by a shorthaul A320 almost every day in June. 2/4 aircraft are out of action, 1 of which was unplanned, but in my book this is hardly operational reasons and has been known to BA for a while now, as the schedules changed to reflect A320 operation for a couple weeks. A321 showing from 22 June onwards, but it might be a shorthaul like EUXL operated yesterday, can't check that right now. Certainly ba.com still showed Club World for a flight scheduled to be operated by a 320.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by popmagnet
We're not talking about a level of quality, we're talking about a different product.
If I do a Tesco online shop and they're out of Tesco Finest Prosciutto and give me Bernard Matthews turkey ham instead, Tesco automatically refunds the difference.
If I order in a restaurant and the waiter comes back to the table and says 'sorry, we're out of steak' and I order a burger instead, I would expect to pay for the burger and not the steak.
If I send a mate to the shop with £20 for a bottle of wine and he comes back with a bottle of Blue Nun as that's all they had, I'd expect change.
As I said, when I used "level of quality", it might not have been the best word. "Product" is ok and doesn't change the meaning of my post.

I might be too cynical but I can understand that, in such a case, BA doesn't proactively offer a compensation, letting people who really bother about that asking for a compensation. However, I expect BA to properly offer a compensation when a bothered customer complains.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by technical_bob
Once my KLM flight was delayed due to a disruptive passenger, but not enough to trigger EU261. They sent me an SMS the same day with a £75 voucher code. It can happen!
Maybe because it was a delay, not an aircraft swap. Even in CE, OP will (hopefully) arrive on time in AMM.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
The plane scheduled is an A320, G-EUYM and the flight is sold out it seems. If I were the OP and I had to fly on the 21st, I'd approach BA proactively before the flight to see what sort of compensation they would offer.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Accor Classic, BA Silver, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Marriott Gold
You could try asking whether BA will transfer you to the Royal Jordanian flight. I agree with you that Club Europe is not a comparable product to Club World, though BA will probably argue they're both "business class".
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by 2035
If I were moved from WTP to CE I would be rightly miffed. Being a tall person, getting crammed into a CE seat would be a big downgrade for me.
In my view this is why this situation is different to the 2013 thread referred to by charlieboy77 above. In 2013 CE had reasonable legroom - similar to WTP, what happens now to a CW passenger being transferred to CE is that they get moved into what effectively is an ET seat. If it were me, I would ask for a refund for the difference between CW and WT on the original flight, as a GCH I would go for the exit row and hope for an empty seat next to me. So all that is left is the food you would have to pay for, you could really live it up with a takeaway and decent bottle of wine from LHR.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:42 am

The good news is that G-MEDU should be back at Heathrow late tomorrow night, so back to 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.