Best, Cheapest & Shortest way to get 30TPs

Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Best, Cheapest & Shortest way to get 30TPs

Different from the usual challenge of needing 20 or 40 TPs, my father (not the most technologically enabled man around) requires 30 TP to resecure his Silver for the year (by 08 Aug). Ideally wants to do a weekend trip - or a back to back if that doesn't work, to obtain the required 30 TPs.

I'm guessing CE one way, ET the other would do the trick, but as we appear to not be in sale season, what's the most effective way of finding a cheap/short return to do the above.

As ever, your assistance is always appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
If you can be more specific with potential weekends then this will help with searches. Domestics can be good value, as too can old favourites like LUX.

You can also take a punt on a cheap G class day return (5TPs each way) and hope to get a decent POUG offer. I’ve just scored 45TPs doing this for £150.

As for finding them, matrix is your friend. Look for cheapest but in extension code on one of the legs add the following:
f bc=i

this will look for CE availability on one of the sectors. Once you have this pop the results into BA and it will be slightly cheaper.

Last edited by madfish; Jun 19, 2018 at 5:00 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Saturday July 21st day return to LUX. Out in J return in Y. £155 for 45TPs
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:03 am
Suspended

Do three sector economy trips get 30 TPs, or are the fares highish ?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The answer to the question as posed is likely to the a LGW-EDI or GLA service, which can be done as a B2B, or day trip with a POUG into CE. JER can also be cost effective if chosen carefully.

But the place to look for inspiration is the weekend fare thread, the TP run thread and similar threads such as these two:
Cheapest way to get 5 BA Tier Points?!
Cheapest 75 Tier points - UK Domestic in Business??
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by madfish
Exactly this. I have a couple booked in OCT for a few cheap TP's. Arrive early for the afternoon LHR-LUX for T3 lounge hopping !
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:33 am

If he's 30 TPs short, then he should strive to get to 20TP short by booking a cheap HBO flight to Europe (5TP each way). This will be sufficient to renew Silver.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KerryMLC
If he's 30 TPs short, then he should strive to get to 20TP short by booking a cheap HBO flight to Europe (5TP each way). This will be sufficient to renew Silver.
Although I've heard of people close to the thresholds being given some leeway (and it happened to me once), it's always been unclear whether this is case-by-case discretion or there is a (written, unwritten?) BA policy.

I think a lot of people here would be very interested in the details and source(s) of your information.

Many thanks if you can enlighten.

Last edited by fruitcage; Jun 19, 2018 at 6:31 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Although I've heard of people close to the thresholds being given some leeway (and it happened to me once), it's always been unclear whether this is case-by-case discretion or there is a (written, unwritten?) BA policy.

I think a lot of people here would be very interested in the details and source(s) of you information.

Many thanks if you can enlighten.
Exactly. But why even risk the chance of BA turning you down. Just a cheap one-way in J and return in Y can easily be had for £150.00 ish (AMS or LUX) and its job done. No issues.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:32 am

One other way to keep the cost down is to throw some Avios at it. To be clear, not an RFS, but using some Avios (from 7,500->25,000 IIRC) to reduce the cash price of the ticket. Of course, depends on how many Avios you have but you'll recover 1k for the flight anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by KerryMLC
Having lost silver thanks to a cancelled meeting when on 580TP I would be careful with this one. I was certainly dumped down to bronze sharpish... Maybe BA figured I had optimised to aim for exactly 600!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Thanks - we went for the other way (Out in Y, in in J), and it was £148 ... however, my dear dad has managed to clash his weekends .... so to your earlier question:

If you can be more specific with potential weekends then this will help with searches. Domestics can be good value, as too can old favourites like LUX
Anything for next Sat, 7th July? LUX looks to be pricing up at the top end ...
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Thanks - we went for the other way (Out in Y, in in J), and it was £148 ... however, my dear dad has managed to clash his weekends .... so to your earlier question:

Anything for next Sat, 7th July? LUX looks to be pricing up at the top end ...
Leeds Bradford, out on Saturday ET, back on Sunday CE, £163 for 50 TPs. It can also be done on Sunday as a B2B (give him very careful instructions!) for £189 for same TPs.

You could do various cheaper options such as JER, if you book soon and take a risk on POUG/AUP being offered. GVA has a £89 awayday on the Saturday for example.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

You could do various cheaper options such as JER
You could also try and book on the Eastern operated flight and hope it goes tech and get (possibly) a free night in Jersey with EC261 to cover a large chunk of the ticket, or get rerouted also with EC261 and a diversion somewhere random finished off with a nice train ride home all on BA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.