Glasses (for drinks) on landing

Old Jun 18, 18, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Glasses (for drinks) on landing

What are the regulations for having glasses during landing?

I always thought that glasses had to be collected and my experience has always been that the crew pro actively offer plastic cups. However, on my recent flights this was not the case. LHR-GLA I held my glass in full view expecting the crew to offer me plastic and take it away. I was ignored. On the return GLA-LCY the crew member told me to keep the napkin in case I spilt my drink on landing! Is this a breach of procedure or has something changed?
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:22 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Should always be plastic but sometimes they miss things.
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leisureflyer1234 View Post
What are the regulations for having glasses during landing?

I always thought that glasses had to be collected and my experience has always been that the crew pro actively offer plastic cups. However, on my recent flights this was not the case. LHR-GLA I held my glass in full view expecting the crew to offer me plastic and take it away. I was ignored. On the return GLA-LCY the crew member told me to keep the napkin in case I spilt my drink on landing! Is this a breach of procedure or has something changed?
they should have been collected, nothing has changed. I guess in your case it was missed.
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:28 pm

They should indeed have been swapped - in your place I would have asked for a plastic one (but accept it's not always easy).

Do note though that Mainline and CityFlyer are two totally separate airlines (albeit with a common branding), and as such have totally separate safety rules and practices. Much is the same (both because it's common sense and because it's CAA/EASA-led), but there may well be differences in SOPs on certain things and it is therefore wise not to assume that they always follow the same procedures.
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:56 pm

Glasses are required to be collected before takeoff and before landing, though we can decant drinks into a plastic tumbler should you wish to keep hold of these. On a short sector and a busy flight, with the rush before landing crew miss things, though donít be scared in asking for a plastic tumbler or double checking with the crew anything safety-related that concerns you. Iíd rather something be pointed out that I missed than just letting it slide. Iíd imagine our friends over at Cityflyer would have the same policy but obviously being Mainline I canít speak for them.
Old Jun 18, 18, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
What everyone else means is that your glass should indeed have been swapped AND topped up!
BobServant likes this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 2:04 pm

Nice cup of tea served on Air India served as we were touching down at JFK but quite some years ago. Cup and saucer. Nice though.
Old Jun 18, 18, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Plastic tumblers handed out when required on two of my Heathrow flights over the last few days.

And we were topped up with champagne on approach to Bilbao, apparently we were saving it from going to waste...
Old Jun 18, 18, 3:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Plastic cups are the norm. If you are lucky they will offer you the remainder of the bottle to take away (assuming screw top) to save it being poured away!
Old Jun 19, 18, 3:08 am

Plastic glass exchanged for glass on landing BA Malta flight on Sunday

Search this Thread
Search Engine: