Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possible to earn BA Avios for KE code share flight operated by JL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I am trying to earn BA avios miles for a KE code share flight KE5707 operated by JAL. Tried to call JAL but they couldn't edit the booking. My question if this sector able to earn one world miles and tier points? (BA or any Oneworld miles)

This booking is booked under 'E' fare class for KE.....

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I do not think so as for Ba miles it has to be marketed and operated by a one world partner.

this might be better on the ba forum as it is related to that program

regards

tbs
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Earning in Oneworld frequent flyer programs goes by the marketing carrier, in this case KE. BA does not partner with KE so no dice. You may have experience from Star Alliance where it always the operating carrier that counts.

JAL can't change your flight to have a JL code instead. The only way to do that would be to cancel and book a new ticket from JAL. With all the consequences of cancellation penalty, plus a new and potentially more expensive fare class.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
why did you book it under KE codeshare?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You may have experience from Star Alliance where it always the operating carrier that counts.
You are absolutely right. My logic has been following star alliance which the operating carrier that matters. I din know one world operates differently.

I booked this because of multi sector reason including KE flights which KE price out better. Oh well, guess I will deposit all the miles to Alaska then.

​​​​​thanks all !
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:33 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although it looks as if the OP's question has been resolved, I'll move to the BA forum, in case of any further discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:35 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
You won't get star alliance points on KE since KE is Skyteam
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:16 am

Alaska isn't in Star but they have lots of agreements with airlines to cross-post points
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv_flying
I am trying to earn BA avios miles for a KE code share flight KE5707 operated by JAL.
. Oh well, guess I will deposit all the miles to Alaska then.
AS t&c's require the partner flight to be marketed & operated by the (one) partner airline.
But many people have had success with retro claims where the marketing & operating airline are different, yet both airlines are AS partners. Many posts in the AS forum on this topic.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are absolutely right. My logic has been following star alliance which the operating carrier that matters. I din know one world operates differently.
It is not really a question of alliance as such (even though it is true that there is a difference between *A on the one hand and OW & ST on the other in that more emphasis is generally placed on the operating carrier with *A). On most frequent flyer programmes, both the marketing and the operating carrier must belong to the relevant alliance for flight to credit. Many programmes have an exception when the marketing carrier is the one whose FFP you are trying to credit to but this exception does not normally extend to flights marketed by other carriers within the alliance.

It also sometimes happen that a flight is credited by mistake by the operating carrier even though, strictly speaking, it should not credit due to the marketing carrier being outside the alliance.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your valuable comments!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.