Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

17 June BA 2062 [MRU-LGW] Mauritius cancelled

Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
The EU261 compensation that you will receive + your travel insurance will cover these.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:16 am

There is already a thread on this.

You will get EC261 compensation of 600 plus duty of care things (calls, hotel, food and drink etc). Laundry and incidentals, depends on what access you have to your bags, although I think a case for laundry could indeed be made. As for parking, I don't think that is covered.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:16 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
EC261 does not cover consequential loss. Nor does the Montreal Convention. You will need to meet any additional costs from your own pocket - unlike the advice given above, I’d say it’s extremely unlikely travel insurance will have clauses to cover these specifically, unless you have a very, very good policy.

It’s certainly correct to say, with a mechanical defect, you’ll get 600 Euros per person delay compensation. Wait a week or so after you get back to allow the flight to be noted as eligible in BA’s system and put the claim in - you can submit it on BA’s website.

It would be worth you explaining the reason for your extended stay when you reach the car park - it’s not unknown, but equally not guaranteed, for the operator to write-off some or all of the excess charge.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Thanks for merging the thread. We are now delayed 2 days. Definitely a part going to be shipped out on Tuesdays flight... seeing on Twitter that some people had to share rooms with people they didnt know last night! Luckily we are at the fairly nice Holiday Inn.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for finding out. A tech issue indeed normally allows for a successful Article 7 EC261 claim.

The App should keep you informed, however the cancelled flight may linger in the cache. So the best thing to do is to go to More Flight Details and then Manage My Booking at the end. This kind-of takes you on to the PC version of the data and it's more likely to be up to date. You may also be able to check-in online via those deep-down screens, then email the boarding pass to yourself and use the usual front screen of the App to get the App boarding pass.

I'm guessing they are waiting for a spare part to come in from somewhere. And unless BA run a rescue flight, it won't be coming from LGW since the next service isn't due to arrive until Tuesday lunchtime. In any event, tthis is always fraught with risk, all sorts of things can go wrong on the logistics side. So it's good to have the AF backup booking.

How does one see the manage booking screen after the original flight was due to land? My app homescreen is now showing my next one to Bermuda next month!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lewis King
How does one see the manage booking screen after the original flight was due to land? My app homescreen is now showing my next one to Bermuda next month!
Go to Bookings, it may be under Past bookings, then go to the little blue Manage My Booking link towards the bottom on the App display, that then works you through to the proto-PC version of MMB.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
EC261 does not cover consequential loss. Nor does the Montreal Convention. You will need to meet any additional costs from your own pocket - unlike the advice given above, Id say its extremely unlikely travel insurance will have clauses to cover these specifically, unless you have a very, very good policy.
Well my view is that Montral does cover consequential losses, it's just that the airlines so far have been fairly successful with claiming Montral's version of extraordinary circumstances and unlike Europe, so far the courts have been seemingly OK with a tight definition. I think the area of the Consumer Rights Act and Montral may, may give a bit of scope here. But this may be more than academic. Traditionally BA don't cover extra car parking fees, though as you note some airports are forgiving in this area. I suspect BA may well cover buying more clothes, assuming there is no access to baggage, but laundry fees they won't cover (they don't normally pay this even with delayed luggage). To some degree the 600 per person can be seen to cover this sort of cost.

As for @Lewis King he will note that at least some passengers with shiny cards were offered the Air France alternative. Looking at the Monday departures, they now seem all sold out (surprise!) though there are some seats on the Kenya Airways' Nairobi service.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:41 am

Thanks @corporate-wage-slave for the info as always. I think I might head down to the beach/pool later today but currently catching up on a bit of email. Obviously, there are worse places to be stuck! Im just glad Im not sharing a hotel with strangers like some people seem to be! Cant say Im looking forward to the insanely busy airport with now two BA flights at roughly the same time!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:18 am

So, finally got some confirmation of what I thought - we are waiting for a part. I dont like how they say they are doing everything possible to get us moving.... if they really were they could have got the part here on something other than a BA flight two days later!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting, I don't have that letter yet in Shandrani.

I spoke with BA holidays today. Took the option to keep exit seats on the delayed flight and if it ends up not going I have seats held on the regular Tues flight. The Shadrani is great and BA are paying so I didn't go for the AF flight via Paris that goes tonight.

I wonder what this part is?!
Lewis King likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lewis King
So, finally got some confirmation of what I thought - we are waiting for a part. I dont like how they say they are doing everything possible to get us moving.... if they really were they could have got the part here on something other than a BA flight two days later!
They've mistakenly omitted to inform you of your rights under EU laws I notice
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rogerj
From what I have heard from a friend at LGW, its two parts. Some explosive squibs and a fire bottle for one of the fire suppression systems.

As the spare parts are dangerous goods its a little harder to transport them quickly, as not all carriers accept dangerous goods and some carriers will not carry other carriers spare parts.

The next BA flight down may well be the quickest way of getting the parts down there.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They've mistakenly omitted to inform you of your rights under EU laws I notice
there is a tiny tiny tiny line at the bottom that alludes to it!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by rogerj
Interesting, I don't have that letter yet in Shandrani.

I spoke with BA holidays today. Took the option to keep exit seats on the delayed flight and if it ends up not going I have seats held on the regular Tues flight. The Shadrani is great and BA are paying so I didn't go for the AF flight via Paris that goes tonight.

hmm. I should probs contact BA Holidays in that case... I wonder how early we will know if were going or not...!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
If you don't urgently need to be back then I can think of worse places to be stuck at BA's expense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.