Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

17 June BA 2062 [MRU-LGW] Mauritius cancelled

17 June BA 2062 [MRU-LGW] Mauritius cancelled

Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Are you looking for something more than EU261 in terms of compensation? Don't spend too much time writing up a big complaint unless it'll make you feel better - I doubt that you'll get more compensation with a bigger complaint! The most important thing is to submit your EU261 and get that banked, I'd suggest.
Im going to try my luck, at least!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lewis King

This is what I heard on the plane too, overhearing (I think...) @rogerj... I think we were actually sat close to each other? Were you on exit row with an iPad?
Yes, that was me. Loved the space!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by rogerj
Yes, that was me. Loved the space!
ha, I was just a row behind you. Small world!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Im going to try my luck, at least!
It tends to result in a quicker resolution if you don't write a "big complaint". If you complain about one thing, BA can be very clear on what it is you are complaining about and handle it appropriately. If you write a "mega moan", touching on too many different things, it just breaks the BA processes, including handling of the complaint.

In particular, it seems as though EC261 claims are handled by a specific group - if you try and complain about other things *and* make an EC261 claim, one of two things might happen, either your EC261 claim is handled but your other points are lost, or the opposite, BA apologise for broken IFE (if that was one of your problems) but don't pay out your EC261 claim.

So I'm going to recommend that you make a simple EC261 claim initially. Just stick to the facts. Technical delay. Get your EC261 payout sorted.

Then if you're still upset about other elements of your trip or how the cancellation and delay were handled, write separately to BA on those points.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Best is simply to use BAs webform. When selecting claims for delay you can pick EU compensation and add any ancillary expenses if it was not covered by BA already. The form does not let you add further complaints and I feel it is the most efficient way - why bother wasting your time ranting while the compensation for a technical delay will be all the same.

Here is the link: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...evice-mobile#/
corporate-wage-slave and mjh0 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mjh0
It tends to result in a quicker resolution if you don't write a "big complaint". If you complain about one thing, BA can be very clear on what it is you are complaining about and handle it appropriately. If you write a "mega moan", touching on too many different things, it just breaks the BA processes, including handling of the complaint.

In particular, it seems as though EC261 claims are handled by a specific group - if you try and complain about other things *and* make an EC261 claim, one of two things might happen, either your EC261 claim is handled but your other points are lost, or the opposite, BA apologise for broken IFE (if that was one of your problems) but don't pay out your EC261 claim.

So I'm going to recommend that you make a simple EC261 claim initially. Just stick to the facts. Technical delay. Get your EC261 payout sorted.

Then if you're still upset about other elements of your trip or how the cancellation and delay were handled, write separately to BA on those points.
fair enough, i think this is my plan to be honest - Im told I already have a customer relations reference where they are checking if I am elegible for EU comp. I dont know if I trust them to reply though, might just submit my own anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage

fair enough, i think this is my plan to be honest - Im told I already have a customer relations reference where they are checking if I am elegible for EU comp. I dont know if I trust them to reply though, might just submit my own anyway.
Dont trust them, submit your own, using the link above it should take you less than 5 minutes.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:25 am

So, an update:

BA are refunding my extra food receipts and going to refund my parking as a good-will guesture, no problem.

Still waiting for for them to decide if the flight is due conpensation though, Ill update if I hear more.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Good to know.

I've just had a letter from BA that I will use with my travel insurance company. They state the reason as delay reason as "Operational" - hope this isn't the first stage of them starting to deny an EU claim.

Flight BA2062 from MRU to LGW
Scheduled Departure date and time: 17 June 2018 17:10 GMT
Actual Departure date and time: 19 June 2018 17:42 GMT
Scheduled Arrival date and time: 18 June 2018 05:30 GMT
Actual Arrival date and time: 20 June 2018 05:21 GMT
Total delay: 2912 Minutes
Reason for delay: Operational
We need to add a few legal points in connection with these details:
 When we use the word ‘technical’ as the reason for a delay, it covers mechanical or electrical faults to aircraft. If there was any other reason for the delay, we say exactly what it was (for instance, ‘Air Traffic Control’ or ‘Adverse Weather’).
 The times shown here are in UK Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). The local times may have been different in the countries concerned.
 We give the information above only to help you make a claim to your insurance company. It should not be taken by you or anyone a
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

BA have just mailed me with confirmation that the EU claim is valid and will be paid. Quite good turnaround, I had submitted on Friday evening.

Thank you all for your help on this!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:24 am

BA have just mailed me with confirmation that the EU claim is valid and will be paid. Quite good turnaround, I had submitted on Friday evening.

Thank you all for your help on this!

Roger, this is fantastic news. Hopefully I hear back on my claim soon.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Roger, this is fantastic news. Hopefully I hear back on my claim soon.
Someone from customer relations actually phoned me to let me know before I got the email!

I had similar very good service when I was previously gold and my snowboard bag was damaged on a flight. Phone calls and a named individual to deal with
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:04 am

Odd, especially after @rogerj update saying conpensation was due...

Another email this morning saying:

In reference to your EU compensation claim, our Flight Investigations team are still in the process of investigating the root cause of this delay. I want to assure you that we're trying to complete this process as quickly as possible though, and as soon as we have any further information to share with you, I'll send you a follow-up email.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Odd, especially after @rogerj update saying conpensation was due...

Another email this morning saying:

In reference to your EU compensation claim, our Flight Investigations team are still in the process of investigating the root cause of this delay. I want to assure you that we're trying to complete this process as quickly as possible though, and as soon as we have any further information to share with you, I'll send you a follow-up email.
What a strange process!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:25 am

What a strange process!
Just got it confirmed.... MAGIC what happens when you mention someone else got compensated!
rogerj and KeaneJohn like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.