Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

17 June BA 2062 [MRU-LGW] Mauritius cancelled

17 June BA 2062 [MRU-LGW] Mauritius cancelled

Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by Mike P
If you don't urgently need to be back then I can think of worse places to be stuck at BA's expense.
true, although the Holiday Inn has nothing around it except the airport so we’re a bit bored, having seen a lot of the island last week! Also have a new kitchen being fitted this week we have to get back for!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:40 am

If you don't urgently need to be back then I can think of worse places to be stuck at BA's expense.
The Maldives wasn’t bad during the Icelandic volcano event. One week full board, laundry and even 50% off our bar bill, which was pretty high.
shefgab and Lewis King like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lewis King

there is a tiny tiny tiny line at the bottom that alludes to it!
Ah yes, I'm an idiot!!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it reminds me of when I was stranded for admittedly just one night in a 4 Star beach hotel in Bermuda. There, too, a spare part was required from LGW. I think the way I handled it is spend a limited amount of time focusing on the necessary minutiæ of the irrop (MMB, phone calls etc), a bit of FT stuff of course, then get on with a relaxing time of swimming, eating, drinking and sleeping. A flashback to my ordeal:
Stranded in Bermuda: non trip report for BA2232 19 July 2015
PETER01, Mike P and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:37 pm

Here comes our rescuer!

Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:59 am

I suppose if you have no other commitments, then a couple of days full board at BA's expense together with Eur600 per person spending money is quite OK.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:38 am

OK plane is fixed. We are at the airport awaiting boarding now. Was handed a sheet of details on compensation/refunds but it’s hust generic copy - nothing confirming we are entitled. I’m sure it’ll be fine, I’ll fight hard for it!

Airport so much calmer tonight too, just sitting in the lounge now waiting to go!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

OK plane is fixed. We are at the airport awaiting boarding now. Was handed a sheet of details on compensation/refunds but it’s hust generic copy - nothing confirming we are entitled. I’m sure it’ll be fine, I’ll fight hard for it!

Airport so much calmer tonight too, just sitting in the lounge now waiting to go!
I don't think you'll have any issues at all claiming for this specific flight and given BA have themselves admitted it was a technical fault in their letter. I'd wait a week, I think the official line is 3-5 days, then submit your EU 261 claim(s). 2 extra days holiday in a paid for hotel etc and £1050 cash is good compensation, in fact I'm sure many wish it was them!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
I don't think you'll have any issues at all claiming for this specific flight and given BA have themselves admitted it was a technical fault in their letter. I'd wait a week, I think the official line is 3-5 days, then submit your EU 261 claim(s). 2 extra days holiday in a paid for hotel etc and £1050 cash is good compensation, in fact I'm sure many wish it was them!
As mentioned up-thread, staff on the ground saying it was to do with the fire systems. They flew two engineers out from London to fix it.

I’m going to write up a big complaint and send it over with request for compensation at the weekend.

As as nice as it was to get an extra two days here, there was nothing to do around the hotel and our kitchen installation has been pushed back, so I’m not as happy as some would be!!

Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

As mentioned up-thread, staff on the ground saying it was to do with the fire systems. They flew two engineers out from London to fix it.

I’m going to write up a big complaint and send it over with request for compensation at the weekend.

As as nice as it was to get an extra two days here, there was nothing to do around the hotel and our kitchen installation has been pushed back, so I’m not as happy as some would be!!
Very true re your last sentence and I am sure it would have perhaps played a bit of havoc with others too. Hopefully your Mauritius memories will supercede the inconvenience, one of my favourite beach destinations having been there 4 times.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:17 pm

Actually not strictly a technical fault. I can’t go into details but there’s nothing inaccurate up thread. Fire bottle/squib were fired accidentally by ground crew whilst towing the aircraft off the arrival stand. Usually, we can depart without that particular bottle but there are several complex reasons here that that wasn’t possible.
LTN Phobia and rapidex like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Safely back home in the UK now.

Thanks all for the thoughts and advice. Managed to get a full exit row to myself on return as the flight was quite empty and my girlfriend moved to an empty row to lie down.

Will file for the compensation in a couple of days. Letters and texts to say it is a technical fault which is what I will use but very much appreciate the additional detail @alextheengineer
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
Actually not strictly a technical fault. I can’t go into details but there’s nothing inaccurate up thread. Fire bottle/squib were fired accidentally by ground crew whilst towing the aircraft off the arrival stand. Usually, we can depart without that particular bottle but there are several complex reasons here that that wasn’t possible.
Still a long way from 'extraordinary circumstances' which would give BA a get out of EU261, IMO.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold

<snip>

<snip>

Are you looking for something more than EU261 in terms of compensation? Don't spend too much time writing up a big complaint unless it'll make you feel better - I doubt that you'll get more compensation with a bigger complaint! The most important thing is to submit your EU261 and get that banked, I'd suggest.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by alextheengineer
This is what I heard on the plane too, overhearing (I think...) @rogerj... I think we were actually sat close to each other? Were you on exit row with an iPad?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.