STN - Hmmmmm.

Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
"Our water fountains are located by the gates 1-19 & 40-59 in the Departures. Also, all of our restaurants/bars are happy to provide you with free drinking water."
That's the gate area. Gates 1-19 are only accessible if you are flying from those gates, and 40-59 are 10 minutes walk (by the airport's own estimation) from the "departures lounge" where you have to wait until 40 minutes (45 on Ryanair). Nothing is mentioned at gates 20-39 or gates 80-88 (both only accessible if flying from those gates), as I'm sure you noticed.

So, accessible to the (overcrowded, hot) departures area where you will spend your time waiting for the gate announcement before you go to your gate and join a queue to board, there is no water fountain. You have to go and require it from one of the restaurants, which is hardly approachable or advertised in the airport.

Stansted could install water fountains at either of the areas with toilets in the departures lounge, but they haven't bothered.

Compare with Heathrow, which has several visible water fountains in Terminal 5. Stansted airport are being duplicitous.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
So, accessible to the (overcrowded, hot) departures area where you will spend your time waiting for the gate announcement before you go to your gate and join a queue to board, there is no water fountain. You have to go and require it from one of the restaurants, which is hardly approachable or advertised in the airport.
There is a shelf with bottled water in front of the transit train stop in the departures area. IIRC, a bottle of water is £1.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
According to their own Twitter account in January 2018:
There are also apparently "honesty box" water vending stations with the suggested amount for a bottle being £1.
Stansted unveils 'honesty box' water stations - PASSENGER SELF SERVICE
There are indeed - turns out Stansted pax aren't very honest.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
There is a shelf with bottled water in front of the transit train stop in the departures area. IIRC, a bottle of water is £1.
That's not a water fountain. That's a shop selling water in a single use plastic bottle. There are many in Stansted departures area.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
That's not a water fountain. That's a shop selling water in a single use plastic bottle. There are many in Stansted departures area.
The shops at STN charge more than a quid BTW I'm not aware of any shop that expects you to pay on an honour based system. IMO a good compromise between the liquids prohibition and giving passenger cheap access to drinking water.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
The shops at STN charge more than a quid BTW I'm not aware of any shop that expects you to pay on an honour based system. IMO a good compromise between the liquids prohibition and giving passenger cheap access to drinking water.
The generic Itsu water is still GBP1 as far as I remember (and it's also the easiest place to get one as you proceed, hopefully nonstop, to the gate).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.