F on the A380 - Worth it?

Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I'd jump at it.
Far better seat and privacy.
No extra cash to upgrade, just Avios.
Concorde Room access.
​​​​​​
Yes
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
I'd jump at it.
Far better seat and privacy.
No extra cash to upgrade, just Avios.
Concorde Room access.
​​​​​​
Completely agree. The extra space onboard, the ambience of your surroundings, the food and service are noticably better than CW (IMO of course). I did this on the same route a couple of years ago. As someone who very infrequently gets to fly First, I thought it was a fantastic use of Avios and great value. I appreciate so much of this is subjective however the First cabin on BAs A380 does feel a bit special.

F redemptions don't seem to be as readily available on the A380 as BAs other aircraft, which again is a good reason to jump at the chance.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Jun 16, 2018 at 3:30 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
7 to one for.

Hopefully the OP didnt just act on the first advice given
The bad news is that I did act on the first advice, but as that resulted in me doing nothing, it was ok when I checked back later and changed my mind ;-)

Thanks everyone
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Glad to hear it. Right decision! ^ It has effectively cost you nothing and you get a much nicer experience out of it. I bet youre looking forward to the trip even more now
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:43 am

Good to see I'm the odd one out!

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What about the much greater space, the larger more comfortable seat and the quieter, more relaxing cabin?

No hesitation from me to upgrade for so few Avios.

Genuinely don't think it makes a huge amount of difference, compared to an A380 CW UD seat. The side bins cover most of the space concerns and, bearing in mind this was my first trip in CW on the A380 - I'm normally in F and probably will lean to UD CW in the future now, I didn't notice a huge amount of difference in the quality of sleep I had onboard as I still managed a full day of work when getting back to London.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Good to see I'm the odd one out!

Genuinely don't think it makes a huge amount of difference, compared to an A380 CW UD seat. The side bins cover most of the space concerns and, bearing in mind this was my first trip in CW on the A380 - I'm normally in F and probably will lean to UD CW in the future now, I didn't notice a huge amount of difference in the quality of sleep I had onboard as I still managed a full day of work when getting back to London.
I disagree. No PJs and 95% chance of having to step over legs / neighbour stepping over yours in CW. No such issues in F.
There's almost nowhere to put anything in any CW seat, UD windows being the exception. F seat bins and layout far more logical.
These are fairly trivial points that wouldn't make it worth spending an extra 2K on a ticket. But for 27K Avios, plus the better/longer/wider seat and CCR access, it's a no-brainer IMO.
If only the F washbag had an eyemask as good as CW's!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Get a CW seat where you don't have to climb over anyone

Storage wise, yes CW is bad for it, but as usual, unless you've loads of Avios to blow or its a once in a lifetime experience, for me, 27k Avios is a good 3 ET returns to TXL or somewhere and is better spent there.

I'll splurge the extra on say CX F but generally on JFK-HKG where the extra flight time gives the opportunity to enjoy everything properly rather than forcing yourself to try and sleep in the middle of the day and/or stuffing yourself for the sake of it especially when you've been in the lounge.

Each to their own though.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I disagree. No PJs and 95% chance of having to step over legs / neighbour stepping over yours in CW. No such issues in F.
There's almost nowhere to put anything in any CW seat, UD windows being the exception. F seat bins and layout far more logical.
These are fairly trivial points that wouldn't make it worth spending an extra 2K on a ticket. But for 27K Avios, plus the better/longer/wider seat and CCR access, it's a no-brainer IMO.
If only the F washbag had an eyemask as good as CW's!
You can buy the sleeper suit on eBay for a few pounds and take it along..
apparently theres also a CCR card for sale , but not sure it would work.
Sort of DIY F for a fraction of the cost
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich

You can buy the sleeper suit on eBay for a few pounds and take it along..
apparently theres also a CCR card for sale , but not sure it would work.
Sort of DIY F for a fraction of the cost
Who knows where that's been.
It won't
27K Avios is a small cost, really, when CE return within EU would be 18K plus cash for something considerably inferior
I wish F availability was available a lot more, as I'd use it. However, I've only had that opportunity once! The OP is very lucky to take it IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.