Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Getting to Tampa today LGW-TPA BA2167 Cancelled

Help Getting to Tampa today LGW-TPA BA2167 Cancelled

Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would focus in the first instance on a sensible rebooking. BA/AA have a joint venture revenue-sharing agreement on these routes so there should not be any odd rebooking concerns.

Rather than calling BA, I would start by looking at the options, making a list, and then calling. Take a look at any BA/AA gateway on the East Coast as well as ORD and DFW and then connections to AA domestic onward to TPA. So long as the weather does not deteriorate, this should get OP the best possible.

Do bear in mind that J on the TATL will book into domestic F on AA, Pretty much always a standard 2-2 single aisle aircraft on AA's domestic routes to TPA.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This is cancellation of a flight ex EU so if the pax arrive with a certain delay comp. is due according to EU Reg. 261/04 - unless caused by extraordinary circumstances. It is very likely that BA will deny liability and invoke the exemption for extraordinary circumstances. I'm afraid that it will be very much uphill to get any compensation for this one. Aircraft getting struck by lightening (even in tropical areas during rainy season) is extraordinary IMO.
But a possible lightening strike - two days ago - from an aircraft based at BA's second largest hub and they can't get the schedule back on track is completely non-extraordinary and purely a failing in Operations
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
But a possible lightening strike - two days ago - from an aircraft based at BA's second largest hub and they can't get the schedule back on track is completely non-extraordinary and purely a failing in Operations
I agree with you Mikeyfly. I spend a lot of time in Florida and lightning is very common. In the summer months it's a daily occurrence around 3/4pm. I thought in Evans v Monarch (2016) a judge had ruled that lightning strikes are not an 'extraordinary circumstance'.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

...Aircraft getting struck by lightening (even in tropical areas during rainy season) is extraordinary IMO.
Nope. Not since Evans v Monarch 2016.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The decision of a County Court in Luton (it is even a common law country) will not impress many judges/courts in other European countries (mainly civil law countries). But anyway, good luck!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

The decision of a County Court in Luton (it is even a common law country) will not impress many judges/courts in other European countries (mainly civil law countries)....
Judge at an EC 261 2004 hearing I was present at was happy to hear all arguments, they weren’t however impressed by the non-IAG airlines barrister’s over dramatised behaviour. My experience is plaintiffs who have done their homework need not be concerned about impressing judges. Obfuscatious behaviour is another matter altogether.
wrp96 and KeaneJohn like this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jun 15, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Would appreciate some help – a friend arrived at LGW at 06.30 for their trip to TPA – BA2167 in J.

Flight has been cancelled and they were told this is due to potential hurricane disruption.
Greetings from CLT en route to SAN. I was at Tampa airport earlier today about 11am and did wonder why this lady was at the gate at TPA. I suspected that something might be awry with operations.

I very much doubt that anyone lied as has been suggested several times upthread. Information simply gets distorted as it passes from person to person during IRROPS.

Glad to hear it all worked out for the OPs friend. At least the flight from Miami is sub 40 mins so not much time to endure economy.

LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:30 pm

And G-viit is on its way home tonight I assume with the normal passengers for todays flight from TPA-LGW fter the LGW-TPA cancellation.

On EU261 I thought it had been made clear that airlines can not use issues from planes on previous flights as excuses for cancelled or late flights. For TPA Fri the previous lightening issueon Wed would not be valid. Not sure if it would be valid for the Thur LGW-FLL cancellation either if they are trying to say weather (I do not know if they are).

Agree with other posts that rumours can be false. Unfortunately checkin staff and even those on-board do not always state the true reason or even the correct company stance on that flight. Maybe a method of defusing the situation at the time rather than trying to deflect from EU261.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Just spoke to my building manager south of Naples...expectation is for partly cloudy skies with a high of 32C. No rain in the forecast for today.
This is not due to current or forecast weather. The issue is lightning damage, I believe.
Lightning strike and damage also need to be treated differently in interpreting things as a strike in itself does not always cause damage.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 16, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by golfmad
I very much doubt that anyone lied as has been suggested several times upthread. Information simply gets distorted as it passes from person to person during IRROPS.
That may well be true. Yet I don’t ever recall seeing many posts on here where the “distortion” goes the other way eg. “No need to get in that massive ticket desk queue Mr FTer, we know we have an obligation to you , and we’ve already booked your hotel / next available flight on a OW carrier/ arranged a credit to your credit card for our EU261 obligations ....” 😏
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
The 2166 TPA-LGW last night (Sunday 17th) was also cancelled.

My sister and her husband were booked on this. They contacted BA when they received the cancellation text (on Saturday), and were eventually rebooked on the BA2036 from MCO. They were originally offered AA via CLT but declined after it emerged that they would not be able to get bulkhead seats (her husband is 6ft 7), which they thankfully secured on the MCO flight.

The 2036 was operated by G-VIIO which has the newly "enhanced" economy cabin. My sister (who is not interested in flying / the nuances of travel whatsoever) commented unprompted that the seats were "tiny and rock hard".

Last edited by clarkeysntfc; Jun 18, 2018 at 5:59 am
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Crikey "biggest ever summer schedule" at LGW is not coping !!!
jp-mco likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
I must admit I fly that flight a lot, and I have never had it cancelled. Had it delayed 5 hours once.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So friend returns tonight and it appears to be a 4 Class... would anyone know if the F cabin is likely to be available / J heavily booked? Currently they’re in 15A
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Yes it's a 4 class and every seat on EF in the F cabin is showing as occupied. 8 free seats in club with a further 8 seats showing blocked.

BA 2166
TPA - 06/22/18 5:30 PM
LGW - 06/23/18 7:00 AM
Daily
81% / 35m
J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0
M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.