Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Getting to Tampa today LGW-TPA BA2167 Cancelled

Help Getting to Tampa today LGW-TPA BA2167 Cancelled

Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by wrp96
The Flagship lounge is open in MIA and they would have access to that as well and it would be a better option.
That's true, they let almost anyone into the Flagship lounges now.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:50 am

As I recall it there has already been a legal case which found that lightning was not an exceptional circumstance.

Also I wonder if such an incident on a preceding flight is also a valid argument.

I am sure Bott & Co would be able to assist if EC261 is denied.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by simons1
As I recall it there has already been a legal case which found that lightning was not an exceptional circumstance.

Also I wonder if such an incident on a preceding flight is also a valid argument.

The fact it was a flight 2 days ago would mean they could not use that excuse.
G-VIIT was the plane in question.
Yesterday they cancelled the FLL route (I assume because they were a plane short) and I noticed they used one of the 10 abrest planes on the routeto Tampa maybe to allow more to be brought back as it would have had 2 flights worth of passengers.
With G_VIIT in tampa they have not cancelled the return as I assume they will use that for the return to night.

All seems like BA being very naughty with their excuses.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Perfect that BA agreed to rebook the pax on AA - it proves what has been stated in here many times: in case of IRROPS it is always better to let airport staff deal with it rather than phone agents. The latter have little leeway to help pax with acceptable solutions.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Caught up with pax who had champs, chicken and shower in their half hour in Cathay! Having had a brief CW experience in the past, they found the AA seat etc outstanding up to take off when they've gone off line
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Caught up with pax who had champs, chicken and shower in their half hour in Cathay! Having had a brief CW experience in the past, they found the AA seat etc outstanding up to take off when they've gone off line
Hope the start of their journey is the only hiccup in a wonderful trip.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Hope the start of their journey is the only hiccup in a wonderful trip.
Let's hope the hurricane isn't too bad
wrp96 and Cymro like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Ha, I live in Tampa and you just prompted me to go check the weather because a hurricane coming would've been news to me!

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/cyclones/

0 activity in the tropical weather department, what they told passengers was a total lie. We're expecting nothing more than our standard afternoon summer showers today/tomorrow/next day etc.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:45 am

Frankly it's an upgrade, swapping the knackered old Gatwick 777 to TPA for an AA (I assume 777) to Miami and a short hop up to TPA is preferable, dare I say even with that last hop in economy. A packed flight back from TPA in economy led to a rethink on travel for me, and I sucked it up and started paying around Ł1K for Premium to Florida. Then I found Flyertalk, discovered what and Ex-EU was, and it's been a whole new experience travelling since then
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You're totally right - I flew with her and other friends from LGW to TPA in April, and it was pretty shabby. This is a huge step up; lounge, aircraft, IFE inc headphones, seat.

And fingers cross a fairly seamless payout of EUR600
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:54 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
You're totally right - I flew with her and other friends from LGW to TPA in April, and it was pretty shabby. This is a huge step up; lounge, aircraft, IFE inc headphones, seat.

Would they still get a payout if they were sent same-day, same-class ? Doesn't sound right.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer

Well, that's the way to finish - with a cracking funny
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DVT
Would they still get a payout if they were sent same-day, same-class ? Doesn't sound right.
Well, their original arrival time was 14.10 on the BA2167

Their very earliest arrival first re-route which they rejected was a stop over arriving at 18.37

Their second rejected choice was arrive tomorrow

Both of these options were well beyond timeframe surely ?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by simons1

It really should be unexceptional that lightning happens in a subtropical location during their annual rainy season. I'm further along the Gulf Coast and everyone knows to account for summer thunderstorms when making a flight booking, especially when you have to connect, because non-hurricane Weather just happens regularly that time of year.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by DVT
This is cancellation of a flight ex EU so if the pax arrive with a certain delay comp. is due according to EU Reg. 261/04 - unless caused by extraordinary circumstances. It is very likely that BA will deny liability and invoke the exemption for extraordinary circumstances. I'm afraid that it will be very much uphill to get any compensation for this one. Aircraft getting struck by lightening (even in tropical areas during rainy season) is extraordinary IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.