Wiki Posts
Search

T5 Uber

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
T5 Uber

Hi - MAH to LHR tomorrow evening. Due to a LGW out leg we don't have our car at LHR therefore looking to get an Uber.

Does anyone have tips for where one can be collected at T5, are they allowed in etc etc

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes it’s all very easy. You get collected at a particular spot in the short stay car park T5 - the Uber app guides you through it all.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
yeah it's simple - Level 2 of the Car Park I think ( Actually it's level 1 as pointed out below .. it's 1 floor up from Arrivals ) .. it's easy in the App .. only downside is that sometimes it takes quite a while for the drivers to turn up ( as they have to park at a remote site )
RockyRobin likes this.

Last edited by EvilDoctorK; Jun 15, 2018 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
yeah it's simple - Level 2 of the Car Park I think .. it's easy in the App .. only downside is that sometimes it takes quite a while for the drivers to turn up ( as they have to park at a remote site )
Level 1 row R. I usually book it around immigration as it takes 10-15 mins or so for one to arrive.

They won’t come in, you’ll have to meet them in the car park only. Lots of people waiting around 1R with lots of Priuses picking people up , so you’ll know it’s the Uber spot.

Take the exit to car park around costa coffee / cafe Nero (so as you come out of arrivals, walk left).
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

IIRC correctly it's level 1 and see this thread.

Uber in London
TPRun likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by TPRun

Level 1 row R. I usually book it around immigration as it takes 10-15 mins or so for one to arrive.

They won’t come in, you’ll have to meet them in the car park only. Lots of people waiting around 1R with lots of Priuses picking people up , so you’ll know it’s the Uber spot.

Take the exit to car park around costa coffee / cafe Nero (so as you come out of arrivals, walk left).
Exactly this - Level 1 Row R

You cannot miss the Uber pick-up point - plenty of people staring into their Uber apps, waiting for their rides!
PETER01 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
To help the OP - Row R is to the far left of the terminal, so as you come out of Customs and into the Arrivals hall, head to the left and into one of the lifts OUTSIDE the terminal (opposed to the set of lifts inside).

M
PETER01 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
You are all stars thank you very much, I like a smooth ending to ease me back into the real world.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
( as they have to park at a remote site )
Does this imply that the drivers have to park up well away from T5 and collect pax on foot?
mzb00 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by babats
Does this imply that the drivers have to park up well away from T5 and collect pax on foot?
No, they meet T5 passengers in the car park, level 1 row R. Until they get a specific job they have to wait in a remote car park on the northern perimeter road
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
They seem to me to usually be parked somewhere near the spur road that leads into the central T1-3 area. Might be a car park / tea shop there....

One thing to look out for. The times where I have a ride seem to be booked and confirmed, only to have the driver cancel, have been preceded by the driver taking quite a while to get away from that area. Whether they're getting shown better fares and cherry picking, or queues are too huge and they're giving up I don't know as I am not an Uber expert. But it can happen.

So once you have your booking confirmed, it's worth keeping half an eye on it to make sure the driver is truly en route.

Once you see them progressing around the perimeter road (assuming that's where they're coming from and in my experience it almost always is) then you're probably fine.

Of course if you're trying to finesse the timings to minimise waiting in arrivals that will probably be either while you're going through immigration (if you have no checked bags) or in reclaim (if you do).
If the former then it's a bit harder to keep an eye on your phone of course.

Screnshot of google maps posted to show where I mean as I probably described it badly.

edit - others have confirmed it's a remote car park there while I was busy attaching

HTH

TPRun likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold
No need to try and guess how Uber works at Heathrow - it's all documented at https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...orts/heathrow/

And for Gatwick there's a similar arrangement. They use a car park in a buisiness park which can be really annoying for the locals because they often overspill and cause traffic problems! https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...ports/gatwick/

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 15, 2018 at 6:23 am Reason: Remove reply to deleted post
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Pascoe
One thing to look out for. The times where I have a ride seem to be booked and confirmed, only to have the driver cancel, have been preceded by the driver taking quite a while to get away from that area. Whether they're getting shown better fares and cherry picking, or queues are too huge and they're giving up I don't know as I am not an Uber expert. But it can happen.
I don't think they know where you are going to till after pickup (I have had drivers call me to ask destination, rarely, but not in LHR)
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by seaskybound
I don't think they know where you are going to till after pickup (I have had drivers call me to ask destination, rarely, but not in LHR)
i have been called and cancelled on at t5 more than once. I think it’s because I live around £25 fare away. Some days the drivers are waiting 1hr+ and probably want a bigger chunk of a trip! (Could just be my pessimism).
LCY8737 and Markie like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I've also had the phone call followed by a cancel and I live in Balham (£60 away)!

After recommendations on here I'm going to give try Wheely for my next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.