T5 Uber

Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Yeah me too .. Airports are the only place I've had this problem really .. and it's more of a pain since when it does happen they don't cancel immediately and then you have to waste more time getting another driver to come ... Normally a very happy Uber customer, but in the airport I never seem to have a great experience .. I'm also in the Balham area and I've had this happen from LHR and from LGW too ( which would be an even better fare you'd think!)
Lucanesque and TPRun like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by seaskybound
I don't think they know where you are going to till after pickup (I have had drivers call me to ask destination, rarely, but not in LHR)
Uber drivers don't know where the passenger is going until they start the journey, but there have been reports of software which can bypass this (and allow the drivers to see the destination once they accept the job).

M

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
I've also had the phone call followed by a cancel and I live in Balham (Ł60 away)!

After recommendations on here I'm going to give try Wheely for my next trip.
I've used Wheely since they entered the UK, and know many of their older drivers very well. They're exceptionally reliable.

Just to give another option, Minicabit (App and website) is really quite good. I've used it for 6 different airport trips, and all have been cheaper than Uber (roughly 10-15%) - with zero cancellations.

Raffles ran a promo for them on HfP in May, and I honestly cannot fault them.

M
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
No, they meet T5 passengers in the car park, level 1 row R. Until they get a specific job they have to wait in a remote car park on the northern perimeter road
Thanks I get it now
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Yeah me too .. Airports are the only place I've had this problem really .. and it's more of a pain since when it does happen they don't cancel immediately and then you have to waste more time getting another driver to come ... Normally a very happy Uber customer, but in the airport I never seem to have a great experience .. I'm also in the Balham area and I've had this happen from LHR and from LGW too ( which would be an even better fare you'd think!)
Have you (or anyone else) made a complaint about this to Uber and if so any results?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by RockyRobin

Have you (or anyone else) made a complaint about this to Uber and if so any results?
I think I may have emailed them once in the past ( after a particularly bad example of this at Gatwick late one night ) .. but can't remember getting much satisfaction from it ...
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
This happens so often at MAN that I've stopped using them from there. They phone up on the pretence of checking where abouts you are, and then ask where you are going. Immediately followed by them cancelling the journey. I live about a Ł15 journey away, which is not bad for MAN.

It's not helped by MAG making it very difficult for anyone other than their own favoured firm (Arrow Cars).
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Another little trick Uber drivers use is the one that happened to me with an Uber X driver; he called me asking where I was and told me to go up to departures (obviously so he doesnt pay the pick up charge from arrivals, but Uber charges you for this, so he pockets the money!) and then when you go there he shouts hurry up before the police see!

Obviously gave him 1 stars.

Is it me or are Uber X drivers really low quality?
Normally I either take my car or public transport, but for work have to use Uber X.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I used to use Uber and it's now so rubbish that I don't bother anymore if I can. I've been using Sixt mydriver wherever I can and so far the experience has been outstanding and not that much more expensive than uber.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:45 am

I find that the wait at T5 is usually 15mins or so - recently I've just been jumping on the Piccadilly line to Boston Manor and getting an Uber from there (the wait time hasn't ever been more than a few minutes) - am usually most of the way there when the car would have been arriving and also not being picked up at LHR is a fair bit cheaper.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
- Better than T5 1st floor car park, is to send the driver to the Sofitel T5. Much quicker pickup and no parking charge. I like the option of a few stops on the Piccadilly line suggested above, although have never tried yet. (Hounslow West is the first station outside the Heathrow Uber pricing zone so no need to go as far as Boston Manor). You can also request pickup at Stop B of the Pod parking - and get a drive on the funky Pods as part of the trip.
- I have had plenty of cancellations after the driver had accepted (but without calling me to check the destination). Uber’s answer to my complaint is always (a) no compo as the arrival time is indicative (b) they monitor drivers’ cancellations and ditch them if it happens too often.
- The driver can now tell their preferred direction of travel and does not get offered jobs going the wrong way so they really have no reason to call and enquire while they are still in their holding parking - other than flout the rules and ditch you if you are going too close to their liking.
- On the odd occasion they call while still far away I do not answer. I only answer if they show as being close. The rate of cancellations has reduced since!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:08 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As we’re now considerably divorced from a BA connection with the T5 link, and have moved to discussing the merits of Uber, it’s time for the padlock.

For those who wish to debate the relative merits of car services, we have a dedicated forum.

/mod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.