Large crowd gets advance seat selection

Old Jun 14, 18, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Large crowd gets advance seat selection

Am looking at a SH flight which opens for check-in in an hour or so.

The seat map on EF shows 23 rows of economy of which there are 6 seats left (4 of those blocked by theoretical seating).

Does that mean there are 140+ bronze status holders or above on this flight, and they all remembered to select their seat in advance - or does free seat selection in fact opens earlier than check-in?

I would have thought fhere would be more than 6 HBO on a late Friday eve flight..,
Old Jun 14, 18, 2:03 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Takiteasy View Post
Am looking at a SH flight which opens for check-in in an hour or so.

The seat map on EF shows 23 rows of economy of which there are 6 seats left (4 of those blocked by theoretical seating).

Does that mean there are 140+ bronze status holders or above on this flight, and they all remembered to select their seat in advance - or does free seat selection in fact opens earlier than check-in?

I would have thought fhere would be more than 6 HBO on a late Friday eve flight..,
What flight?
Old Jun 14, 18, 2:06 pm

Perhaps a large group in a connecting flight that was able to check in prior to the first leg of their trip???
Old Jun 14, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Anyone can pay at anytime for seat selection.
Old Jun 14, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't be surprised on some status heavy routes.

On my TLV-LHR last week every J seat save 5 was reserved around a week before departure - and that was the 77W Club dorm.
Old Jun 14, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
More likely that theoretical seating is doing its own "assumptions" about where people want to sit and they can then work around those once check in actually opens. In addition to status card holders, those who pay and those who connect (and therefore chose their seats three hours ago) there'll be lots of ghost "occupied" seats that might change until the flight finally settles.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 18, 7:46 pm

Programs: British Airways
I have found that I have been able to choose seat for free at T-48 rather than T-24 for my last two flights as BA Blue.
However, I find it unlikely that so many people would have checked that, as it does not tell you so automatically.
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:13 pm

Indeed (and as I posted elsewhere):

Saturday's LHR-BDS seats suddenly became fully allocated about T-96 hours after being mostly 'empty/unallocated' a few hours before- clearly not all Gold, and not all would have paid for the seats.
Old Jun 16, 18, 8:16 pm

Travel agents? On the LHR-BDS flight it suddenly filled up with assigned seats way before T72 - coming off the flight an awful lot of passengers got onto coaches. I also notice the BDS-LHR this coming Saturday also has blocks of allocated seats - I would hazard a guess that these are again TA/group bookings... .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: