Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just as I predicted: I now have two Exec Club accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold

Hi All,

As far as I'm aware this situation was supposed to be impossible - so I'd appreciate any thoughts as to how to approach things; albeit I haven't had time to mess around calling customer services of either Avios or BAEC yet.

My situation is:
I had accounts at BA, Avios and AerClub. I also have the Lloyds Avios credit card.
I predicted something like this happening, so went out of my way to call Avios and verify what would happen: They were adamant that they didn't need my Exec Club number when I offered to help them out by providing it; and that all that would change would be that my Avios from my credit card would post to my existing BAEC account. Everything else would remain the same.

Fast forward to this morning, and I get a 'Welcome to the Executive Club' email. Sure enough, they've setup a new account, with a new number. Argh

So presumably that's the account that the Avios from my credit card will post to (for as long as that lasts, anyway ).

Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this or how I can go about getting it sorted out? The last thing I want is what usually happens where I end up having to spend hours on the phone to different organisations sorting out their problems for them!

Having had a quick look at both accounts, as far as I can tell they're exactly the same - except that the BA website seems to have one of the stupid address validation things that refuses to put the first and second line of my address in the correct order, whereas the Avios website is intelligent enough to realise that line 1 comes before line 2. The postcodes and house number (which is all that should matter) are identical. The only other difference is that the BA website is obsessed with deleting the first zero from my phone number. I haven't bothered logging into the new account that I don't want yet.

I'm not in too much of a rush yet because presumably this only affects the Avios from my credit card, and I've a week or so before that posts. It just annoys me when organisations get all confident and reassuring, then make silly mistakes after being adamant there's no way I can help them
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I have the same, though in my case it's because I had a different email address on my avios.com account (I didn't want to change it as it might mess up my Lloyds avios postings, but now I have little choice).

avios.com have told me that if I change the new BAEC account's email address to match that of my original BAEC account, BAEC will auto-merge them. And as I have now brought my avios.com email address into line there shouldn't be any problem with my Lloyds postings. We'll see!

Presumably if you correct your postal addresses the same should happen for you. (I can only look to change mine by calling, as I haven't got a PIN for the duplicate account yet). Best of luck.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Hmm, I'm slightly worried this might happen to me, since my email from Avios about it closing said something like "We'll open a BAEC account for you". I thought about ringing them up to tell them I already had one, but glad I didn't waste the time based on the comments above! My email address is the same on both, so hopefully they'll figure it out by themselves...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
I have the same, though in my case it's because I had a different email address on my avios.com account (I didn't want to change it as it might mess up my Lloyds avios postings, but now I have little choice).

avios.com have told me that if I change the new BAEC account's email address to match that of my original BAEC account, BAEC will auto-merge them. And as I have now brought my avios.com email address into line there shouldn't be any problem with my Lloyds postings. We'll see!

Presumably if you correct your postal addresses the same should happen for you. (I can only look to change mine by calling, as I haven't got a PIN for the duplicate account yet). Best of luck.
Hmm. I'm not convinced, but I can give it a go.

I think the trouble might be if BA refuses to let you correct it's incorrectly auto-populated address - if you could, I wouldn't have left it wrong originally...

Email addresses on the accounts are identical, as are postcodes and house numbers; so all the important data is exactly the same. There's no reason why they should use any other parts of the address!

Well, the passwords are different....but there are bigger problems if that's what they're hanging it on!

Originally Posted by Deltus
Hmm, I'm slightly worried this might happen to me, since my email from Avios about it closing said something like "We'll open a BAEC account for you". I thought about ringing them up to tell them I already had one, but glad I didn't waste the time based on the comments above! My email address is the same on both, so hopefully they'll figure it out by themselves...
Yeah, I got the "we'll open an account for you" email too. Which is exactly why I called them - I went out of my way to tell them I already had an account, and offer them the details so that nothing could go wrong.

But no...we don't need your help...it'll all work by magic and we can't possibly make a mistake with it
Deltus likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I'm sure I got an email saying, we'll keep your account as you're signed up for AerClub. So maybe in my case the Lloyds card will post to AerClub, i have literally no idea! We will see
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:59 am

Could this feature be exploited to change one's TP collection year? Or will the newer account always be merged into the older one?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by email2markt
I'm sure I got an email saying, we'll keep your account as you're signed up for AerClub. So maybe in my case the Lloyds card will post to AerClub, i have literally no idea! We will see
My Avios account is still there, I can still login and my points are still there. Although my latest eStore transaction didn't track and their support appear to have given up bothering! An AerClub account is actually nothing more really than an Avios account, so if you have AerClub membership your Avios account stays.

I was told that nothing would change with my Avios account - but that the Lloyds cards could become a BA thing and that my points from them would post into my BA Exec Club account.

But frankly who knows?!

Originally Posted by RGS5526
Could this feature be exploited to change one's TP collection year? Or will the newer account always be merged into the older one?
Honestly I have no idea but I'll let you know if my TP year changes once they sort it out. I haven't ever got a hope of getting status unless something drastically changes so it's never bothered me!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
@:-) If you have a household account how about making your new self a member until you have the time an inclination to sort them out ?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
@:-) If you have a household account how about making your new self a member until you have the time an inclination to sort them out ?
I'm almost inclined to keep them both separate but with identical details and see if anybody at BA ever notices....

If the Lloyds Avios cards end up with the offering that Head for Points managed to pick up on earlier this week, I can't see myself keeping the card anyway - the upgrade voucher is what was keeping me from just getting an Amex Gold, and being single a 2 for 1 voucher is completely useless to me so the BA cards are pointless!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I've just received a "Welcome to BAEC, here's your PIN" email. I have a bad feeling about this...

Not going to call up just yet though, I'm still hoping they will work it out.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (GGL/CCR) A3 Gold VS Gold Emirates Gold Alitalia MMGold HH Diamond SPG Gold
Based on this thread I have just checked my aer club account which I never use ( I can’t access my Avios account anymore)and found my Lloyd’s cards Avios have been credited there from last monrh

Last edited by GavB; Jun 15, 2018 at 7:06 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Your Aer club account is the same as your Avios account - so the points will have posted to your Avios account.

If you have Aer Club, you should still be able to access Avios
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Poster

So this is interesting...

My Lloyds Avios Credit Card just billed this week (which reminded me to reply to the Exec Club; although they haven't done anything yet!)

It seems my Avios CC is still posting my Avios to my Avios.com account!

Incidentally, whilst trying to establish where my points had gone I realised that I never received a PIN for the new Exec Club account, so I can't even access it.

I'd dearly love to know what on earth is going on and what the point of this new account is?!

I'm quite happy with my CC posting my points straight into my Avios.com account (that I still have through Aer Club) and having my original Exec Club account.....can we just go back to that please!?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:46 am

Sorry to “me too” but I just got one of these mails too 😞

i dont have a Lloyd’s credit card.

Are people call BA to resolve?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

What's your specific situation, fly200? Have any Avios gone missing?

No harm in a 'me too' - keeps threads clearer in my view

The only reason I was really worried about this was because the 'new' account was supposed to be the one that my credit card points posted to; but it seems they haven't changed that, so I haven't lost out on any Avios yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.