Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The results of the BA staff survey are in ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The results of the BA staff survey are in ....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jonjparr
I don’t really care one way or another whether this information has been shared. I think it simply confirms what a lot of us all suspected. A question for Raffles though - in the past you’ve had exclusive articles / photos about things relating to BA and presumably these opportunities were orchestrated with the assistance of BA. Do you think that by posting this information online it may limit the opportunities presented to H4P in the future? After all, I would imagine some people in the BA Press Office would know Raffles on FT is Rob at H4P.

I get nothing from BA. I don't even get free BA status which I know is handed out to some journos. This is despite being, by Ogilvy's own admission, the biggest 'content site' driver of BA ticket sales in the UK.

Their advertising spend over the last 7 years totals £500 (some companies have spent £50k in the same timeframe). We do not get invited to press events apart from the Gatwick flight last year. I have been to Waterside once and that was a private invite from a reader, for whom I later did a private talk to some BA employees. It took intervention from Avios just to get on the press release email list. We didn't even get invited to the i360 opening press event in Brighton :-)

The difference with, say, Virgin who spend a lot, get me involved in product development, give me effective free reign to review what I want etc is marked ....

Of course, winning 'Editor of the Year' at the 2017 Business Travel Journalism Awards in recognition of my work highlighting BA cuts may have something to do with it :-)

Last edited by Raffles; Jun 14, 2018 at 1:34 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Duplicate
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Duplicate
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by subject2load

Perhaps what happened in this case is that the document was left on a BA plane somewhere.

The cleaners didn’t find it.

But an interested passenger did.

Having seen the state of most BA aircraft I've flown on recently, I don't think the cleaners can find the aircraft, let alone what's on it.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
Of course there is, that's its purpose. Even if you do assume it's going to get out, you have to be seen to do all you can to prevent that happening. I'm pretty sure that most of us in our working day have access to information that could be very damaging to the companies we work for, should it be released. "I didn't know it was to stay in the company" is an easy excuse to use if you don't put protective marking on it.

Also, you need to ensure that if it's found on a bus somewhere, whomever finds it (if they have some integrity) would return it to the originator or destroy it.
Maybe we are talking at cross purposes. By protective marking do you mean something that can trace the source of the document back to an individual? If so could you give an example of something you’ve seen issued to 30k+ people with such marking?

Or do you just mean putting e.g. ‘Company Confidential’ on it?
flyuk likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Or do you just mean putting e.g. ‘Company Confidential’ on it?
Yeah. Commercial in Confidence, Staff in Confidence, Restricted, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

I get nothing from BA. I don't even get free BA status which I know is handed out to some journos. This is despite being, by Ogilvy's own admission, the biggest 'content site' driver of BA ticket sales in the UK.

Their advertising spend over the last 7 years totals £500 (some companies have spent £50k in the same timeframe). We do not get invited to press events apart from the Gatwick flight last year. I have been to Waterside once and that was a private invite from a reader, for whom I later did a private talk to some BA employees. It took intervention from Avios just to get on the press release email list. We didn't even get invited to the i360 opening press event in Brighton :-)

The difference with, say, Virgin who spend a lot, get me involved in product development, give me effective free reign to review what I want etc is marked ....

Of course, winning 'Editor of the Year' at the 2017 Business Travel Journalism Awards in recognition of my work highlighting BA cuts may have something to do with it :-)

I'm not really talking about you getting freebies from BA but didn't they collaborate with H4P to provide:
- Exclusive pictures of the First Wing
- Exclusive launch information for Club Europe on domestic flights
...in the last year and a half so surely they must be collaborating with you on some level? Only you will know whether these articles brought traffic to the site but I would have thought maintaining a speaking relationship with the carrier behind the currency that draws people to your website in the first place made practical sense. Then again maybe you believe being the critique of BA brings more people to your business than anything else. It certainly got you an award.

Like I said though I don't really have any strong feelings either way about you posting this online - in fact it's interesting (and a bit gratifying) to know that the 'death by a thousand cuts' approach feels as raw for staff as it does for passengers. I can cope with the food being mediocre, the seat and the IFE being a bit outdated but the complacency when it comes to dirty seats and planes, that just makes me angry.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
The cynic in me (shock horror) would say that unless BA's senior management is really even worse than we give them credit for, they would have had a pretty good idea of the staff morale stats anyway. And if they wanted to, could at any time embark on a programme designed to improve morale.

Q: So why do a survey for the first time in 6 years?
A: In order to get hard data.

The only reason to get hard data like this is to be able to measure it changing. And the only reason to be able to measure change in this area is to be able to show it. And, since few outsiders could care less about BA's internal staff feedback scores (in a meaningful, non scurrilous way, that is), this leads me to conclude that the exercise is about setting a baseline for future management bonuses set on these scores improving by a few percentage points. You see if I'm wrong! ;-)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It rather depends on what sort of company BA want to be. By sharing this will all staff, in the knowledge that this would inevitably be leaked it does suggest that they are willing to be honest and open and look to improve. None of this is a surprise.

Do we really want a major airline to be secretive, clamping down on whistle blowers?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BABenchley
I'm not disagreeing with the results of the survey....
Not sure how you could disagree with the results of a survey. They are what they are. Room for judgement and opinion in the interpretation of course, but it would be hard to spin this set of results

Originally Posted by BABenchley
... there is a place for this which is not in the public domain but rather inside the company.
Kind of vacuous. They are inside the company.

That they are outside is a bonus - for potential customers, investors and competitors: less so for the airline ...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonjparr
I'm not really talking about you getting freebies from BA but didn't they collaborate with H4P to provide:
- Exclusive pictures of the First Wing
- Exclusive launch information for Club Europe on domestic flights
...in the last year and a half so surely they must be collaborating with you on some level?.
No, all of that came from BA employees :-)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Who are H4P? google keeps saying Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, somehow I don't think that's right in this case

I am surprised this survey hasn't gone viral through socials and the press haven't picked up on it especially the Daily Mail.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by icegirl
Who are H4P? google keeps saying Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, somehow I don't think that's right in this case

I am surprised this survey hasn't gone viral through socials and the press haven't picked up on it especially the Daily Mail.
I assume it's Head four points which is run by the poster Raffles.

I'm also more surprised the survey is so little viral, not that it's viral at all.
icegirl likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.

It's hilarious that one of the biggest drivers of business to BA has his knowledge and expertise best utilised by one of their biggest rivals (VS) and friends (QR) to improve their offerings and sales. Same attitude with the UK travel industry - 15 years of destroying relationships, complete belligerence and even hostility before realising they are not the only player in the game anymore. This survey just reflects that they employ the same scorched earth policy towards their greatest asset - their staff. I now expect a few minor platitudes along the lines of improved gym memberships and monthly Starbucks vouchers for their staff to make everything rosy again.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:51 am

No, all of that came from BA employees :-)
BA employees in the Press Office?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.