Wiki Posts
Search

Seating problem in CE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Seating problem in CE

Had an unpleasant experience on Sunday. Reserved 1F at T-72 but when I boarded a couple were sitting in 1D and 1F, I said I’d reserved 1F and it transpired they had 1D and 6F. The CE cabin was full. The guy declares in an aggressive tone that they were travelling as a couple and he wasn’t moving. He also said that when checking in he’d reserved two seats together but that seems doubtful. At this point the CSM asks me ‘what do you want me to do about it?’

To my mind she should have immediately taken responsibility to handle the situation and asked the guy to move and not put the onus on me to decide how it should be resolved. I felt I had no option but to take 6F, particularly as the guy had already taken an aggressive tone. Presumably they hadn’t been prepared to pay to book seats before check-in so there’s always a risk of not getting seats together. Also interesting that they hadn’t decided to take 6D and 6F to sit together!

I’ve never experienced anything like this before and was very disappointed at how it was handled. If passengers decide on boarding they fancy sitting in a different seat chaos will reign (just becomes Ryanair/EasyJet) and especially if the CSM isn’t prepared to pro-actively handle things. Yes I’ve seen passengers ask the CSM if there’s anything that can be done to sit together but never passengers deciding they were going to take two seats together no matter what. Another passenger remarked after we’d disembarked that the guy’s behaviour was obnoxious and they should have been moved to steerage. i’ve lodged a complaint and it will be interesting to see what response I get. No doubt others have experienced this before?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You should've said you wanted your assigned seat. The flight attendant was wrong to put the duty on you.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
If you were asked "what do you want me to do about it?" by the CSM then you were certainly correct to put in a complaint as far as I'm concerned.
florens likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If I felt strongly about keeping 1F I would have answered the CSM's question by telling him that I expect him to move the man out of a seat he doesn't have a boarding pass for.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Essex Flyer
The guy declares in an aggressive tone...
I would have him sent back to row 6!
He has won in his eyes. Being an arse has paid off and he got what he wanted... Can only expect that he will continue this behaviour.
That said, I do understand your hesitation.
wrp96, alpenlupe, cosmo74 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I agree that the CSM handled this incorrectly, thankfully we don’t get in wrong often.
Personally I would have suggested asking the customer in 6D if they would swap with 1D so that you kept your seat and they had two seats together.
wrp96 and icegreen like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:30 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
The CC could have found a compromise by asking if the person in 6D would mind moving to row 1 so that the couple could sit together...
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
If you were asked "what do you want me to do about it?" by the CSM then you were certainly correct to put in a complaint as far as I'm concerned.
I think there's two ways of saying those words, a "Not what I'm here for, you're on your own" way and a genuine "What outcome would you like?" one. I'm assuming CSM mean the latter, but ought to have tuned into your obvious wish, moved the interloper as appoint of principle, or (if they heard it) as comeuppance for bullying to not even need to ask.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 12, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very poor handling by the CSM - they should understand that no-one really wants to move from 1F to 6F and shouldn't put you in a situation where you felt obliged to do so. Hope you managed to get your first meal choice at least. I'd add this story to the DYKWIA thread, this bloke sounds like the perfect candidate for that.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Sounds unpleasant. I'd like to say that I'd respond to the CSM "I'd like the seat I booked please", but depending on the tone / nature of the aggression I appreciate your move to 6F as I can imagine doing the same rather than risking it escalating.

The CSM is the person in uniform and the person who should be listened to and in control of situations like this, they should have either moved 1F back to 6F and let you sit there, or move 6D to 1D and moved them both back. Irks me that the bully "won" as it validates their behaviour and I'd wager they'll try this trick again.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
No doubt others have experienced this before?
Not on BA.

But once almost identical on LX ZRH -> LHR on a Friday evening in business years ago. I remained standing at row 2 (blocking the aisle) smiled at the CSM, and did not say anything. Waited for him to solve the situation. Which he did. Which resulted in the loggerhead politely asking they could switch the back row, so they could sit together. At which point I volunteered to use the seat further in the back. + one bottle of Champagne from the CSM + some 10,000 M&M. I was unable to overhear the conversation between the CSM and the loggerhead, but I think the very short discussion must have been very direct ;-).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:49 am
Suspended

I felt I had no option but to take 6F, particularly as the guy had already taken an aggressive tone. Presumably they hadn’t been prepared to pay to book seats before check-in so there’s always a risk of not getting seats together. Also interesting that they hadn’t decided to take 6D and 6F to sit together!

This is strange. Firstly, you had the BP for the seat. The guy's tone doesn't matter. Stand up for yourself or be a doormat. If the crew member would not move them, kick it up to the head FA. If that doesn't work, start walking off the plane into the jetway to get the GA to sort it. Trust me, THIS will get their attention. I did this myself once when an FA was trying to help a non-rev she was friends with poach my seat. Point is, the FA you are dealing with DOES NOT have the final say.

Don't scream, threaten, or act overtly emotionally, but be matter-of-fact and FIRM. Throw around industry jargon..."GA","Station Sup", "IDB", "Rev Pax", "Extra Rev seat"..this at least shows you are an FF and understand more than the average kettle. If all that fails, it fails. But don't cower down the second an FA appears not to care about a poacher.
Wembleygal likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Diabolical. I hope they do not get on my next flight.
Now they have had one bit of success, they will do it again.
I would complain to BA so that you can received the usual cut and paste. "lessons can be learnt" and "we try to treat all our passengers fairly"
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well I don’t agree with you Proudelitist, if you are speaking to the SCCM you are talking to the person who has the last say as our Captains do not want to get involved in customer issues and trust us to use our judgement, saying that I am 100% behind the OP and I enjoy putting bullies in their place
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
No doubt others have experienced this before?
So far only once, but not on BA. Me & husband boarded to find a couple in our bulkhead seats. I just went to the FA, showed her the BPs, and she addressed the couple. I don't remember clearly what was their excuse, but they moved to the 2nd row without so much fuss.
About the OP: I think I would have asked the CC for my assigned seat, because with his attitude the man didn't deserve to "win".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.