Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by VictorSierra
I can’t actually think of a time where VS have screwed up their pricing. They had some very cheap fares earlier in the year, sub £1,000 for UC to the US and then a connecting DL flight. Was it a cheap fare or a mistake? If the latter, they have honoured them.
They've got a sale on for around that price at the moment, albeit from AMS.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BA
I would think if BA ever did make a pricing mistake the TA would be on the phone to them in seconds. Think about all the extra work these TA have been lumped with. They must be getting hundreds of angry phone calls and emails daily. BA are refusing to even talk to customers telling them to call their TA. Even for the voucher the TA have to lay out the money.
I'm being to wonder if this was BA strategy!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by sunnyuk
I'm being to wonder if this was BA strategy!
To what end? So BA can annoy both their customers and their TA’s?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I agree that BA's self-evaluated record on that front is abysmal and suggests some truly sloppy work from the fare input team (and even more inexcusable if it apparently affects fares in major currencies including your own according to them), but I think that any company feeling certain that it will never make any error would be dangerously arrogant.
The one BA 'error' fare i've had cancelled was due to an IATA currency error rather than a BA one! So it could happen to any airline - I look forward to seeing one appear on Virgin now we have their cast iron guarantees they will honour them!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
The one BA 'error' fare i've had cancelled was due to an IATA currency error rather than a BA one! So it could happen to any airline - I look forward to seeing one appear on Virgin now we have their cast iron guarantees they will honour them!
Didn't United CEO make a similar promise and then when they've sold thousands of £50 F tickets from London, they've bluntly cancelled them all?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Has anyone received the refund or voucher from omega travel yet?

I've had nothing since the e-mail information me the booking has been cancelled.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by ajbrowc

I've had nothing since the e-mail information me the booking has been cancelled.
There is no "voucher" as such. You have to contact Omega for the details (I say this in case it changed, and I don't want you to rely on this post), but essentially what they said to me was;

1. Book any BA operated flight, originating in London on 125 ticket stock.
2. When it comes to payment, put a false security number so that the transaction fails
3. Apparently the booking will still be created
4. Then you need to phone in to Omega, they will apply the discount and take payment over the phone, issue the ticket.

I haven't got around to actually doing any of the above. I would be interested if anyone has done so.

Thanks Rich
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
There is no "voucher" as such. You have to contact Omega for the details (I say this in case it changed, and I don't want you to rely on this post), but essentially what they said to me was;

2. When it comes to payment, put a false security number so that the transaction fails
4. Then you need to phone in to Omega, they will apply the discount and take payment over the phone, issue the ticket.

I haven't got around to actually doing any of the above. I would be interested if anyone has done so.

Thanks Rich
Do we think Omega check that you had a TLV booking to begin with or would they just take your word for it when you call up?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by madfish

Do we think Omega check that you had a TLV booking to begin with or would they just take your word for it when you call up?
It's a good point

But whilst I wouldn't have that much confidence on that, I suspect the sting would come later when BA refuse to cough up to them as it sounds like there are some lists circulating.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:51 am

Thanks Rich
I purchased with Omega. The whole thing was a shambles. They didn't notify me, I called them on Monday night a week ago, after I heard from other Israelis in London that their flights to Tel Aviv was cancelled. They claimed I could only get the discount once my refund came in. When on Friday it hadn't come in yet (in fact a week later it still hasn't!) I called them and said I am sick of it and I want to re-book as they kept raising the price, so much so it got higher than BA directly!
They then e-mailed me while on the phone with the details and asked me to confirm via e-mail. The original price had been 190GBP and they gave me a 100GBP discount plus a 25GBP Omega discount that came out as 256GBP which wasn't so bad (as flight appeared to cost 419GBP by that day). They then generated a payment link and I had to pay while on the phone. The link wouldn't let me pay with Amex, unlike the original booking, and they claimed they don't take Xmex, so I gave in. After a few hours I received confirmation and was able to enter the booking into my BA executive club.
Note - they took my old booking number and based the order on that, I don't think anyone would be able to get the discount if they hadn't been affected.
Just happy it's over and I have a ticket which was pretty cheap, but it was a lot of stress and phone calls.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It's a good point

But whilst I wouldn't have that much confidence on that, I suspect the sting would come later when BA refuse to cough up to them as it sounds like there are some lists circulating.
on Twitter there have been copies of the email from BA support to travel agents. When people make their new booking the travel agent has to stump this up first then include on a fortnightly email details including
old PNR and new PNR for subsequent reimbursement.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

on Twitter there have been copies of the email from BA support to travel agents. When people make their new booking the travel agent has to stump this up first then include on a fortnightly email details including
old PNR and new PNR for subsequent reimbursement.
It’s reproduced a few times in this thread If you fight your way back a few pages as well!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by ajbrowc

I'm in the same situation. In the mail informing about the cancellation, the only info regarding voucher compensation was:

"Airline will also provide £100 voucher per person as compensation"

I've had no physical voucher, nor any voucher code sent electronically. I'm not surprised, the reimbursement that was promised within 3-5 banking days, still hasn't emerged, although passing the time limit.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
To throw some more confusion into this, I've just spoken to Omega travel. The agent offered me a Lufthansa flight instead for an additional £70ish, or alternatively a full refund plus £100 voucher. Apparently the £100 voucher can only be used directly on the BA website, and should arrive by email in the next 3-5 working days. I'm skeptical, but don't want to spend any more time on the phone to Omega than I absolutely have to.

And for what it's worth, Omega was insistent that it was BA who cancelled the ticket, despite what the Silver line told me repeatedly last week.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:14 am

I'm not qualified to express any view on the substantive merits or otherwise of litigation against BA regarding their cancellation (albeit that my hunch is that BA are on shaky legal ground), but, having recently brought a separate CEDR claim against BA regarding their refusal to re-route me following their cancellation of my flight (not being related to a 'mistake fare' in any way), which resulted in BA paying up promptly, I wondered whether a dispute of this nature might be well-suited to a CEDR arbitration following BA's inevitable rejection of customer complaints.

From the point of view of the customer, it's relatively quick and cheap (costs limited to £25), it's binding on BA, and even an adverse ruling is not binding on the passenger, albeit that it might be seen as persuasive by a district judge.

I'm aware of district judges ruling in favour of airlines, and other district judges ruling in favour of passengers in incredibly similar cases, but I'm not aware of any CEDR rulings on this topic. This may be because CEDR will only hear cases where a contract for aviation services has been entered into, and here, one party would be insisting that there was such a contract and one party would be insisting that there wasn't!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.