Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I only booked it for the TPs, even though it wasn't 100% clear at booking what fare class they were as the OTA didn't display so i just guessed and believed that 1 poster here that maybe I would be lucky and it does book in B.
I am glad it cancelled because looking back dont fancy economy on 789. I will use the £100 to get a discounted trip to GIB
A friend has told me when re-booking with Omega and attempting to use the £100 voucher, the price only came to £10 below BA direct as they have seemed to inflate the price for such tickets. After some words and legal threats the price went down by a further £70 I think it was.

I should reiterate as OP the title did have ??? in it however a mod has seemed to remove it allowing the floodgates to open for all the righteous to say 'oh but you knew it was a mistake' which is an incorrect statement for most, to be honest even if I was aware of the fare class this wouldn't have meant much to me at the time. Having said that I am of the opinion KARFA was aware this was a genuine mistake fare.

The conversation now seems to have moved onto BA's handling of this fiasco. As per the image I attached above and on this post again for reference, BA offloaded this to the OTA's to deal with, it still seems some of those affected have yet to be even contacted. Alex Cruz may be happy about all the free media attention though!

Last edited by yb90; Jun 21, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Of course it matters - if the person bought tickets at 00:32 and is claiming that had not looked at the thread before booking - a post to the thread at 23:47 on the previous day, kind of proves that the statement is false
Posting to a thread doesn't mean the poster has looked through all or any of the extant posts on the thread at the time of posting.

Sadly this thread has turned somewhat adversarial, especially in terms of trying to 'catch out' various posters' intentions.
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Now a topic on BBC Radio2 Jeremy Vine show.

Spike
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Just listening to the radio 2 show now!

I was very tempted to book the trip not going to lie
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Of course it matters - if the person bought tickets at 00:32 and is claiming that had not looked at the thread before booking - a post to the thread at 23:47 on the previous day, kind of proves that the statement is false
Well it shows how much I really read the thread if I don't even remember posting that. My post really related to omega travel and that others had put some comments about this OTA on another different thread, it really was triggered by seeing omega on that thread and also having seen specific comments on using them on another thread previously that day which I thought could be relevant. The comments were not about the fare per se. If you choose to think I am not telling the truth then there is very little I can say. The credibility of what I post on FT stands in the context of someone who doesn't make things up or lie just to further a story or agenda. I have been very clear about what I thought when I book this one and I am not saying anything I wouldn't say under oath.

Originally Posted by yb90
I should reiterate as OP the title did have ??? in it however a mod has seemed to remove it allowing the floodgates to open for all the righteous to say 'oh but you knew it was a mistake' which is an incorrect statement for most, to be honest even if I was aware of the fare class this wouldn't have meant much to me at the time. Having said that I am of the opinion KARFA was aware this was a genuine mistake fare.
Haha, definitely not

Thanks for confirming the original title as well.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Sadly this thread has turned somewhat adversarial, especially in terms of trying to 'catch out' various posters' intentions.
Quite so. A sad reflection unfortunately on what should be a good thread for debate, but it has turned into the typical thread as soon as a 'mistake fare' has been pulled. The individual analysis is not required.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Wizz Air have offered 'Rescue' flights to 'Stranded' BA passengers for £80 each way.

Using language normally reserved for airlines that have gone bust. BA Marketing Department must be hating on whoever made the decision to cancel these flights now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8409351.html
Excellent answer, unfortunately for me only for flights till end of July which is a mere few days too early. Hopefully, BA will lose further market shares to both TLV and DXB over their stretching of the notion of "manifest" error.

That said, more importantly, I still hope some people who like that sort of thing take the airline to court and that courts will get a chance to decide whether BA's understanding of a "manifest error" is correct or not. Should this be the case and be dealt with by a Court which can set precedent, this could suddenly become a far more costly decision for BA (notwithstanding the possible public humiliation should they be found to have labeled this unconvincingly)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
if I had booked the fare, I would definitely litigate. It’s not particularly difficult or time consuming to bring a small claims court claim. In any event, I’d be fairly certain they’d settle.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Maybe I'm being overly fussy, but I've just spoken to the OTA (Omega) about the "voucher" claim process.
You basically go onto their website, pick a flight before the end of July for travel up to 30 June 2019. Then book it, using false credit card information. Apparently then the booking will be created, you phone in and discuss the discount and pay for the flight at the adjusted price.
Is it me, or is this not a great process for customers to have to go through to get their "goodwill" gesture. Interested in people's thoughts.

Last edited by Woodbinerich; Jun 21, 2018 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
So in actual fact you could profit from the mistake? Get the cheaper airfare and also the win if the case is settled in your favour?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
The win would be the contractually agreed service, not punitive or compensatory damages.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
Now a topic on BBC Radio2 Jeremy Vine show.

Spike
It was on the Money Saving Expert bit of a show on BBC 5Live earlier in the week, someone had bought the flights, paid for a non refundable hotel and non refundable car hire and didn't know what to do now his flight was cancelled. The question was about whether BA would compensate him for that.

I can see why BA did cancel it but there will be people (like the man on the radio show) who probably booked in good faith and it's not necessarily a good luck. Alex Cruz has made a big deal about people searching on price alone and thus BA has to compete on it. It's a bit difficult if you're not sure if the price being offered is actually correct though :-)
englisha and cosmo74 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
How would you litigate though? Pay for a new B-class ticket for the same flights and MCOL for the ticket price? Seems quite high-risk...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
How interesting to have been a fly-on-the wall when all this first came to light in the BA bunker. But in the absence of such a privilege, one can only speculate on just how things actually panned out.

I have conjured up an image of a smart, quick-thinking young manager keen to address the situation swiftly & effectively, and who relays this for approval by an exec higher up the pecking order :

“I really think we should simply honour any bookings already made, and suck up the small loss of revenue. This way it won’t make the mainstream media and we avoid any damaging coverage. Plus ..... after our bad spell with IT troubles and weather disruption, it’s a relatively cheap way of rebuilding some goodwill”.

Exec : “Hmm. You’re right. It’s exactly what I’d like to do. Problem is ... it’s not how the Boss sees things ...... you know how he wants us to protect the bottom line in every which way. We’ll end up taking a lot of flak with cancellation, no doubt. But at least we won’t lose out in hard cash”.

Junior : “Shouldn’t we be worried about the bigger picture and our public image ? “

Exec : “Like I said, let’s just focus on profits”.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
You basically go onto their website, pick a flight before the end of July for travel up to 30 June 2018.
A flight in a tardis perhaps
PAL62V likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.