Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by frb98mf
The main issue is that this was a YBH fare which sophisticated travellers might have picked up on (flexible terms and conditions, 70 TPs and high Avios earning was a clue), so people were able to book for under £200 on days where the cabin was almost full. That's why BA are making their claim of manifest error and have calculated that the lost revenue potential of selling even a few hundred of those 2,000 seats at their full price was worth the bad PR and £200k of vouchers to go after.

bear in mind selling classes were not shown on momondo or omega (where I booked) and even as a semi-sophisticated traveller like me only found out the booking class when looking at it on BA MMB after booking. Selling classes were mentioned in this thread part way though but not initially.

frb98mf likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Back in the day before mistake fares were blasted over social media, many carriers honored their mistakes largely because there tended to be relatively few tickets issued and the entire out-of-pocket and brand damage far exceeded the small number of tickets issued.

Now, when any number of social media types send out what amount to notices, the numbers move in the other direction. If the people who had originally made these purchases had not said anything, I warrant that they would be flying on those tickets.
Yup, although ironically those blogs may also be a good source of evidence as to why a particular mistake isn't very obvious at all. E.g. https://www.secretflying.com/search2...=Israel&month=
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
bear in mind selling classes were not shown on momondo or omega (where I booked) and even as a semi-sophisticated traveller like me only found out the booking class when looking at it on BA MMB after booking. Selling classes were mentioned in this thread part way though but not initially.
Right - so to the extent the error was really in the fare class, this so-called “manifest error” was not evident until after the fact (i.e., after the booking) for many, if ever. Which makes BA’s claim that it was a manifest error absurd. They deserve every bit of bad publicity.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I would hazard a guess that for most travelers that booked that fare, the flexibility, TP and Avois were irrelevant. I feel booking class wasn't as important as BA think.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
On the TV, BBC Breakfast (on BBC1) are apparently going to be speaking with some 'angry would-be passengers' who have had their tickets cancelled. Due on at 0740hrs this morning!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Made it onto page 2 of this morning's Metro as well...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
The article is misrepresentative as it claims the tickets were sold for £1 plus taxes. It was actually £51 plus taxes taking into account the carrier surcharge.
orbitmic and nmassey like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Executive club
BA getting a slating now on BBC breakfast news now. Well deserved in this case.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Slightly OT but this thread has just passed the DKYWIA thread for posts. We need more DKYWIAs!!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:51 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

Fare class first discussed about 90 minutes after OP. Post 24, so it was pretty early on. I think people on here knew it was a mistake fare.

Only trouble is that they forgot the first rule about fight club...it was too widely publicised, and obviously not just here. People say it wasn't that cheap, but there were quite a few booking it because it was that cheap and booking when they previously had no intention of going to TLV and organising a do.

If it was only a little cheaper than I would consider normal fare, or even just a normal sale fare, I wouldn't be rushing to book a route I hadn't considered the way many were on here and I don't think it was all that different elsewhere either.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Fare class first discussed about 90 minutes after OP. Post 24, so it was pretty early on. I think people on here knew it was a mistake fare.
Indeed. And I am sure some did know based on that before booking. The point I am making though is that I didn’t know - and I did try to find it during the booking process without success - and I am sure it may be the case that others didn’t know either. This isn’t as clear cut as I think you were suggesting in your earlier post.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Seems to me that BA/ IAG are not going to be too bothered about the bad publicity of this story as they are showing healthy profits and customers (such as me) keep jumping on board... same goes for Ryanair who are one of the, most profitable airlines in the world
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
By the way, interested in any thoughts, if the OTA really drag their heels on the refund about the pros and cons of initiating a chargeback through Amex. I don't know the process that well (never done it before), and maybe it's too heavy handed, but I can see this dragging out.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Only trouble is that they forgot the first rule about fight club...it was too widely publicised, and obviously not just here. People say it wasn't that cheap, but there were quite a few booking it because it was that cheap and booking when they previously had no intention of going to TLV and organising a do.

If it was only a little cheaper than I would consider normal fare, or even just a normal sale fare, I wouldn't be rushing to book a route I hadn't considered the way many were on here and I don't think it was all that different elsewhere either.
the fact it was cheap is not relevant, neither is the fact I booked because it was a very atttactive fare despite not previously having plans to book to TLV, that’s not the test as I noted above. Sure I booked because it was cheap and of course I didn’t have an intention of going to TLV before someone highlighted the fare. The test is did I know or ought to have known the time of booking that there was an error on the part of BA - well in my case no. I didn’t know the selling class and it was comparable to other carriers’ fares to TLV.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

the fact it was cheap is not relevant, neither is the fact I booked because it was a very atttactive fare despite not previously having plans to book to TLV, that’s not the test as I noted above. Sure I booked because it was cheap and of course I didn’t have an intention of going to TLV before someone highlighted the fare. The test is did I know or ought to have known the time of booking that there was an error on the part of BA - well in my case no. I didn’t know the selling class and it was comparable to other carriers’ fares to TLV.
So you are suggesting that you saw a thread titled "Mistake fare LHR - TLV" , based on which you booked a ticket LHR-TLV and did not have reason to believe that it was an error?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.