Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by pablol
If I were the general counsel of BA, I would be advising my board to honour a ticket if Someone sends a letter before action.
I suspect very much that this is their strategy. Satisfy most with a mainly unusable voucher, and appease the noisy ones.
Mike Skyflier likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
The biggest thing I take away from this is that BA is defending their decision by making the argument that any average consumer should know that a BA flight would never be offered for a mere 150% of the price of their competitors. Doesn't seem like the best PR strategy to me...
orbitmic and royng like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I find a few things interesting about this whole fiasco (putting aside my own ticket cancellation for a moment).

- I think we can all see that the commercial decision for BA in this case about whether to honour or not probably looked marginal for whoever was making it. They came down on the side of short term revenue protection. I don't know the figures, but we are talking I think, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively small saving for the airline. Against some loss of goodwill, and some PR cost (which is hard to estimate to be fair but may increase more before it dies down). I'm not sure all airlines would have decided this way.

- But what i find more interesting, now I have seen that letter (thank you to the poster!), is another potential fail on recovery. I find it strange that the company would be happy, having taken a tough line commercially, to outsource all communication about this issue and the implementation of a clunky service recovery mechanism with their (already in some cases angry/upset) customers to a number of third parties. In these kind of situations, customers need clear transparent communication and as we can see from some of these posts, they don't seem in control of this.

I can only assume that whoever made the decision is somewhat distant from the implementation, which I suspect will continue to be less than satisfactory. I wonder if it may give rise to further loss of goodwill in some customers and potentially more negative press.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
The biggest thing I take away from this is that BA is defending their decision by making the argument that any average consumer should know that a BA flight would never be offered for a mere 150% of the price of their competitors. Doesn't seem like the best PR strategy to me...
Well, if you're a premium airline...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
I bought a flight to LAS in the January sale through an OTA that was -£5 plus taxes and charges, which I won't be flying until later in the year.

I'm very tempted to use this as an example to prove this fare can't be considered as manifestly incorrect, but do I then risk my LAS flight being cancelled...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by ajbrowc
I bought a flight to LAS in the January sale through an OTA that was -£5 plus taxes and charges, which I won't be flying until later in the year.

I'm very tempted to use this as an example to prove this fare can't be considered as manifestly incorrect, but do I then risk my LAS flight being cancelled...
I don't think you need it. Just find a LON-TLV fare on Wizz/EZY for less than the price and your case is basically made.

If it were to get to court proceedings and BA filed a defence citing the negative fare, you could then use your example to rebut that.

Of course, any claim would be dependent on you having genuinely believed it was a genuine fare when you booked. If you were alerted to it by this thread, that will be a lot harder than if you weren't.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by ajbrowc

i have a trip booked thru an OTA that’s around
-£35 plus taxes to EWR later this year. Another example.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This is also now on the daily mail website, British Airways comes under fire after cancelling cheap tickets generated by a glitch | Daily Mail Online, not that I read the daily mail of course
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive club
Now on BBC news.
Very bad PR for BA.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Maybe Alex needs to dust off that high-vis vest. Can‘t be seen in interviews without it.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Raffles
I really don’t think the general public will automatically side with the passengers, given the speed of the cancellations.
​​​​
Originally Posted by yb90
Price appeared Monday until Tuesday AM, first cancellations reported Friday PM.
BA give pax 24 hours to cancel. Surely it should be (at most) the same the other way around.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Maybe Alex needs to dust off that high-vis vest. Can‘t be seen in interviews without it.
I bet he's glad he hasn't got another UK Israel Business breakfast coming up!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
This is also now on the daily mail website, British Airways comes under fire after cancelling cheap tickets generated by a glitch Daily Mail Online, not that I read the daily mail of course
Of course not. Very few people do.

The most recent industry figures quote a monthly readership of only 31 million or so. Nothing for BA to worry about.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I bet he's glad he hasn't got another UK Israel Business breakfast coming up!
Hahaha!

M
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by cosmo74
This is also now on the daily mail website, British Airways comes under fire after cancelling cheap tickets generated by a glitch Daily Mail Online, not that I read the daily mail of course
The comments are quite lively as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.