Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
All the features of a LCC, except the actual LC.
I would dare say that mistake fares - and failing to honour them - are a particular feature of legacy airlines.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
From the wording posted upthread, it does cover travel to June 2019 so you would be covered. It just has to be booked before the end of July,
Thank you, missed that. OTOH, I still haven't got any voucher with the explicit conditions

Last edited by onobond; Jun 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Deltus
I just called BA and they told me that my ticket was definitely not cancelled by BA, because otherwise there would be more notes on the booking entered by BA, so I should ask my travel agent what happened. The plot thickens...
I suspect this is a technicality, but interested in terms of what transpires.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Perhaps a workaround to this issue is to honour the ticket and up the costs of other tickets globally by a couple of pounds? They would make the money back without anymore agro.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
I just called BA and they told me that my ticket was definitely not cancelled by BA, because otherwise there would be more notes on the booking entered by BA, so I should ask my travel agent what happened. The plot thickens...
I am afraid the agent you spoke to clearly has not paid any attention to the internal communications that BA has issued. The bookings were cancelled by BA and there is no blame attached to the travel agent.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
Perhaps a workaround to this issue is to honour the ticket and up the costs of other tickets globally by a couple of pounds? They would make the money back without anymore agro.
If they could up the cost of tickets globally by a couple of pounds, why wouldn't they do that anyway?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I wonder if FT is getting a lot of views from media/general public due to this thread and what a 'normal' person makes of the mice recipe et al threads !
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
Sitting here now very nervous about one of my Ex-EU fares getting the chop that I thought was a steal.
lets hope the Butcher of Waterside doesn’t notice it.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Let's hope none of us are quoted out of context.

I'm watching you BBC...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
If I were the general counsel of BA, I would be advising my board to honour a ticket if Someone sends a letter before action. I’d ask the passenger whose ticket was being re-issued to sign a confidentiality clause, but given the proliferation of internet sites, I’d expect there to be little chance of that working.

If the most recent article is correct, and there are 2000 pax impacted, common sense tells you that there are bound to be a number of solicitors or barristers affected - probably someone senior like a Magic Cirrcle partner or QC too. They will clearly know that BA is on very shaky legal ground.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Originally Posted by cbagent
I am afraid the agent you spoke to clearly has not paid any attention to the internal communications that BA has issued. The bookings were cancelled by BA and there is no blame attached to the travel agent.
flyuk likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
The resourcefulness of this forum never fails to surprise me.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by yb90
It’s hard to believe that BA regarded the admin involved in that process as a better option to swallowing the incremental loss on the tickets.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
One of the three lead stories on the BBC website. Another PR triumph for BA ��
Also being carried by BBC national radio news bulletins, which I’d imagine really is quite a rarity for error fares - not least given all else that’s going on with Brexit and World Cup etc. Indeed this is how I myself first heard about the cancellations (ie rather than FT) as I have been driving most of the day with no internet access.

There was some sort of ‘consumer body’ spokesperson on (didn’t catch exact name of the organisation or the woman commenting) who took the line that if the fares had been £5 or £20 then nobody could conceivably take them to be genuine fares BUT the actual figures were entirely credible. Added that it would have far better for BA to have honoured the limited number of fares involved rather than risk considerable adverse publicity / media coverage.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I actually think the short validity of the voucher is quite cute thinking from BA. For those who were planning to travel to TLV and still need to do so, the voucher can be used to soften the blow of the real fares and there should be no issue booking in the time period.

It's another matter for those who decided to travel purely because they saw the fare - it could be tough to find another attractive option in such a short window, but perhaps BA has chosen not to be very sympathetic to those?
Well, I booked one for a trip in August which I needed to do. I actually did not know it was a flexible ticket and did not think it was an error and I do book - literally - dozens of trips a year. I had been looking at prices for a while as I need to make two of them to Israel in August and December and thought that the long awaited sale had finally come in part also because of the "round number" (£195 sounded like the sort of figure those sae people came up with). In fact, I so did not think that it was an error that I did not book the fare for the trip I need to do in December that I hoped I'd get something better by then especially as my ideal point of origin for that second trip is not London (and indeed, there exist multiple itineraries for cheaper already).

Because I genuinely want to travel and because my trip is in August which is an expensive period to fly, the voucher is precisely not going to be useful at all for my TLV plan and I'll have to use it for something else. This is all the more so that the travel agent told me that BA have not processed any refund and will only tell them on Friday when they will process refunds to the TA (who will then have to pass them on to the customers!) let alone vouchers. I have too much respect for the value of my time to take airlines to court but part of my genuinely hopes that someone else does and wins for themselves as I find BA's attitude both incompetent (in choosing to take their time in processing refunds) and dishonest (in stretching the definition of "manifest" errors well beyond what I believe it is intended to cover. In short, I suspect that the error is possibly obvious to BA but certainly not to the average customer, which is what would most likely be the standard to be used here). As I mentioned, I do not believe that the error was "manifest" in any shape or form (again, if they say that it was a mistake I am happy to take their word for it, but manifest, no way). As for the fact that the fare was less than BA's taxes and surcharges after the TA discount had been applied, that is not in any way unusual for some sale fares or even for some non-sale low fares which often have a base fare of £1 or 0 which can become negative after some TAs apply their discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.