Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
It will be interesting if the folk quoted by the BBC are actually members who contributed to this thread...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I hope someone takes this further. I picked this up from the BBC web site and can’t believe how BA have again shot themselves in both feet. The fare is manifestly not unreasonable when, for example, I can fly CAI HNL return in business with unlimited stops for around £1200.
You now have the the ludicrous situation whereby the self loading freight not only have to print their own boarding pass, baggage label and board themselves, but they must also take responsibility for revenue management and check if a fare on a specific flight on a particular day is reasonable compared to any other day. Common sense says that’s BAs problem. The customer doesn’t stand a chance if this is not overturned.
Tafflyer and royng like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
This could be very expensive for BA. It only takes one person to go to court and win, or one person to be given the tickets after a threat of legal action for the floodgates to open.

PR and legal nightmare.

​​​
binman likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:04 am

It's in the Telegraph now too.

BA seems to be sending the message that it has no cheap flights. Find a bargain on BA? It will be a manifest error.
binman likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
It's in the Telegraph now too.

BA seems to be sending the message that it has no cheap flights. Find a bargain on BA? It will be a manifest error.
I really don’t think the general public will automatically side with the passengers, given the speed of the cancellations.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Personally, I have a hard time accepting that this was an obvious error and i'm sure many people would have booked it in good faith. As someone who lives in Bulgaria and seeing 23 euro to LHR from SOF one way, 63 euro return fares coming up, an extra hour longer flight to TLV doesnt sound like a mistake fare, even knowing (which many may not) that it's served by a Long haul aircraft. We just got back from TLV on wizzair and paid 45 euro return from Varna. A different route of course, but at least I felt confident booking it as a non error fare.

I really cant see why BA didn't just let this one go. I believe they will lose more in bad publicity than what they will save in cancelling these fares.

Last edited by englisha; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:31 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Just to expand on the point (I was rushing through the airport whilst typing yesterday), I think generally airlines will not take responsibility for consequential losses arising from mistake fares. But in this case, we are taking about related admin/penalty costs which the airline itself is charging and as long as you get someone with a bit of authority and who has some information/access to info about the TLV situation, I think they will waive the charges.
At the risk of someone having responded to this further down the thread from this post, I would note that in the U.S. the regulatory agency (DOT) used to require airlines to honor mistake fares. They have since backed off that position (not related to our current administration...), but are pretty firm on airlines reimbursing passengers for nonrefundable ancillary costs if the airline decides to cancel the reservation. They're not letting the airline have its cake and eat it too - they have to weigh the costs of ancillary reimbursements against any losses from honoring the fares. Especially when the fare is in the gray area of being an error fare vs. a sale fare, like I think this one is.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Originally Posted by Raffles

I really don’t think the general public will automatically side with the passengers, given the speed of the cancellations.
Tickets were cancelled 3 days later with many pax reporting still not being informed anything by their OTA.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
For reference, I was told 6 days after booking.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by binman
I hope someone takes this further.

Someone did take BA to MCOL a couple of years ago over a mistake fare (think it was one of the Baltic ones or ex Poland) and whilst they had a technical win the Judge could not offer any restitution given that by the time the case got to MCOL the flight date had long passed so in fact he lost. It was discussed at length on here at the time. I'm sure there are others who remember the case and will recall more details to be able to find it.

IIRC the judge did raise the issue that these days with blogs such as this that knowledge of such fares did spread farther and wider than previously and that needed to be considered.

Mention was also made that people who read such blogs (as the claimant in that case had) were also more aware of the likelyhood that such fares were errors and could / would be reversed and that was also a factor to be taken into account - Thread and article titles such as 'Mistake Fare to XXX' did not help in that case.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Price appeared Monday until Tuesday AM, first cancellations reported Friday PM.

Coincidentally this story has been all over the media and I am sure someone at BA is now getting their ar$e kicked.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Mention was also made that people who read such blogs (as the claimant in that case had) were also more aware of the likelyhood that such fares were errors and could / would be reversed and that was also a factor to be taken into account - Thread and article titles such as 'Mistake Fare to XXX' did not help in that case.
As discussed above, this really is not a clear cut glitch(and the title did have a '?' in originally), whilst the price is good the same route can be often found for cheaper albeit not BA.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:42 am

I booked through Netflights to Abu Dhabi over New Year. (29th Dec - 7th Jan)

Total cost (2 adults 1 child) £753

Same flights a day later last year (30th Dec to 8th Jan) I paid £791. That's less than £13 per passenger difference.

Not sure how I could have seen that as a clear mistake fare.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:51 am

All the features of a LCC, except the actual LC.
LSunbury likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Someone did take BA to MCOL a couple of years ago over a mistake fare (think it was one of the Baltic ones or ex Poland) and whilst they had a technical win the Judge could not offer any restitution given that by the time the case got to MCOL the flight date had long passed so in fact he lost. It was discussed at length on here at the time. I'm sure there are others who remember the case and will recall more details to be able to find it.
That was what had been reported on here initially, but it wasn't actually what happened in the case as the judgement was subsequently posted on FT too. The claimant lost on substance of the claim - the judge also made the point that even if he had found in favour of the claimant the claim for specific performance was not possible.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:59 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I just called BA and they told me that my ticket was definitely not cancelled by BA, because otherwise there would be more notes on the booking entered by BA, so I should ask my travel agent what happened. The plot thickens...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.