Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by englisha
Just did a search on wizzair and currently you can fly LTN-TLV for 133 GBP return in September. If you hold off a week or 2 they will probably have a 20% off sale bringing this down further.

I'd be comparing this in the newspapers which makes BA's obvious error at a higher price look silly, especially to a price sensitive customer which is unaware of aircraft type
Isn't that a bit like comparing apples and oranges? One ticket was fully flexible and the other isn't. Price sensitive passengers who usually fly LCC's generally know legacy airlines are more expensive so would think it was unusual.

I would have though any decent TA would know the booking class and they would have been able to spot that the fare was a lot cheaper than it should have been unless they where specifically told it was a promotional fare.

How much usually is a B bucket fully flexible fare on BA to TLV anyway as to get some comparison of the original cheapness of the tickets?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by APUBleed
Trying to wonder what all these countries have in common besides their awful human rights. Hmmmm...
And, human rights for ALL in IL?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles

In which case surely you should be delighted that BA is refunding you so you can save £60 and use Wizz .....
I didn't book this fare, I just find it surprising BA would call it an obvious mistake. The point was that other companies offer lower fares which are not mistakes and the general public are supposed to know that £60 more on BA is an obvious mistake.
Cymro and the_real_a like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Good to see BA's summer intern programme is back for another year...

Given all the publicity, I can't believe there isn't some opportunistic law firm out there making a case as we speak - for the publicity if nothing else. There seem to have been a large number of cases of people who bought the fare in good faith and who are out of pocket from the incidentals bought in the lengthy gap between booking and the BA cancellation (or the customer finding out that BA had cancelled). I am sure we all agree that BA should look after these people one way or another.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
The story is now featured on TheMarker, the financial supplement of Haa'retz. It's in Hebrew of course but there are some "nice" tweets in English.

BA - TheMarker
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:40 am

I think editing the title to remove the "?" that was originally present wasn't a good thing to do. It's leading to some arguments about who knew what and when!

(Didn't buy the tickets, just here for the drama, and to be prepared if something similar happens in the future and I do partake.)
yb90 likes this.

Last edited by adrianlondon; Jun 21, 2018 at 4:45 am Reason: Brackets added
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
The "Flexible Ticket" doesn't wash I'm afraid, as my booking confirmation says:

Your payment has been successfully taken, and your reservation with us is now confirmed.

Fares and Taxes are non refundable. Tickets are Non - Rerouteable Non -Transferable and Name changes are not permitted.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
I don't have a direct interest in this particular fare, but:

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This particular fare is not available directly from BA.com so if you want it you'll need to book through a TA.
Surely the TA must share some of the responsibility here? They should have realised that the price was way too low for the booking class*.
A non-FTer doing a web search would simply see a fare on BA that was of the same magnitude as fares on other airlines.

(*Assuming of course that humans are involved at any point in the pricing/selling process!)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I see its in the metro this morning

hadnt realised they were advertised as £1 plus taxes
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by allturnleft

and £57 carrier surcharge which is kept by BA - arguably part of the fare under another name.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by allturnleft

BA has offered (presumably) non mistake fares at this price before, even booked directly with them. Norway or Germany to the USA, via LHR are often this price.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Wizz Air have offered 'Rescue' flights to 'Stranded' BA passengers for £80 each way.

Using language normally reserved for airlines that have gone bust. BA Marketing Department must be hating on whoever made the decision to cancel these flights now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8409351.html
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Got my Netflights voucher. Can only be made by telephone, and "Please note: a £7pp fee applies to telephone bookings.". So 40% more expensive, and £7 already removed for a service charge.

Oh dear.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Cluster One
I don't have a direct interest in this particular fare, but:

Surely the TA must share some of the responsibility here? They should have realised that the price was way too low for the booking class*.
A non-FTer doing a web search would simply see a fare on BA that was of the same magnitude as fares on other airlines.

(*Assuming of course that humans are involved at any point in the pricing/selling process!)
OTA's would have no human involvement in these fares - they would be loaded, bookable and issues without any alerts as nothing unusual.

Regular human TA's of course could have picked up on it, but again, there was nothing ridiculously out of the ordinary about this - they would have quoted cheapest fares. Most would have paid little attention unless BA is their main issueing carrier as they don't memorise flexibility / TP's of all 16 economy subclasses of the 100 odd airlines they would book.

Genuinely, it's only people with the expertise on Flyertalk / multiple blogs that would have picked up anything massively out of the ordinary.

Virgin: https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/flight-deals.html £300 to Boston - 14 hours flying = £21.42 an hour
BA: £187 to Tel Aviv - 10 hours flying = £18.70 a hour

Not really a 'Manifest Error'. That's just the first example I thought of.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by benjai
Why are you guys so pedantic? Who cares what time people posted things, do you win the internet if you are right?
Of course it matters - if the person bought tickets at 00:32 and is claiming that had not looked at the thread before booking - a post to the thread at 23:47 on the previous day, kind of proves that the statement is false

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.