Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Just take cws advice - just dispute it via your Credit Card. You’ll see my post waaaay upthread where I even said if it doesn’t work out AMEX can fix the mess.

On the B fare bucket front - I had no idea either when I booked it!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dp1586
I've now had a written confirmation from Omega that they will be refunding me, and a note to say that BA will provide a 100 pound per person voucher as compensation.
Did you receive the confirmation from Omega by letter in the post or via Email? I am on my travels at the mo and have received no Email from them. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by KARFA
If it's a monthly settlement from the TA to the airline presumably in this case (and for the AZ case) the TA won't have paid the airline by the time the airline informs them of the cancellation?
Why do you say that? It's billed the moment the OTA/TA issues the ticket, and depending on the date could well go through BSP before the cancellation has been made. You're then beholden on the airline processing the refund and refunding it, and then the OTA refunding it which could easily take a couple of payment cycles. Also it's possible the ticket has to be paid for even if it's been cancelled, then subsequently refunded. Blame IATA.

Remember big chunks of the airlines are built on and still rely on 1960's technology. You ever played around on a GDS?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by our_kid
Just take cws advice - just dispute it via your Credit Card. You’ll see my post waaaay upthread where I even said if it doesn’t work out AMEX can fix the mess.

On the B fare bucket front - I had no idea either when I booked it!
Then what leverage do you have to get either your £100 voucher or get BA to honour your flights? Surely "the customer triggered a chargeback" would be a plausible reason for them cancelling the ticket...? I'd wait until you get something in writing from BA or the OTA first...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Why do you say that? It's billed the moment the OTA/TA issues the ticket, and depending on the date could well go through BSP before the cancellation has been made. You're then beholden on the airline processing the refund and refunding it, and then the OTA refunding it which could easily take a couple of payment cycles. Also it's possible the ticket has to be paid for even if it's been cancelled, then subsequently refunded. Blame IATA.

Remember big chunks of the airlines are built on and still rely on 1960's technology. You ever played around on a GDS?
Sorry, I understood by monthly settlement from the TA to the airline you meant the TA settles with an airline on a monthly basis rather than instantly (the IATA link seems to suggest that). On that basis for this and the AZ fare also refereed to where cancellation by the airline has followed within 24-48hrs there seem little likelihood the TA has already sent the money to the airline - unless the monthly settlement just happens to fall within that period which is fairly unlikely.

Rather than focusing on someone to blame (TA/IATA/airline) it is clear that refunds shouldn't be taking as long as noted by onobond - unless of course the airline concerned has cash flow issues and would prefer to hang on to it as long as possible
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:08 am

I'm aware of a similar DXB fare - about £215 or so that was floating about but seemingly not mentioned, did anyone book / get impacted by this? I would have booked that for sure just couldn't replicate.

That triggered my thought that there were fares mistakenly loaded. I certainly don't see somewhere that Easyjet fly to and BA offering £198 fares for a 4 1/2 flight as anything but a chance to knock down the loco airlines - mistake fare didn't cross my mind until I came across mention of Dubai. Still, i've 100% of my mistake fares on BA being cancelled and 0% of other airlines (1 vs 4) I hope that no-one here was financially impacted by booking non refundable ancillaries.
I saw return fares to DXB from Heathrow with Qantas for £235 towards the end of March this year, just before they pulled out of the route. I’m sure the route switch had something to do with it.

Palmer
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Scallywag72
Did you receive the confirmation from Omega by letter in the post or via Email? I am on my travels at the mo and have received no Email from them. Thanks in advance.
Hi SW,
received via email after I replied to their notification of flight change asking me to call them, asking them to call me as I hadn't been able to get through to anyone after a few attempts. I sent a further question how in what form we should expect the voucher and am awaiting a reply, will let you know.
Safe travels!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I'm aware of a similar DXB fare - about £215 or so that was floating about but seemingly not mentioned, did anyone book / get impacted by this? I would have booked that for sure just couldn't replicate.

That triggered my thought that there were fares mistakenly loaded. I certainly don't see somewhere that Easyjet fly to and BA offering £198 fares for a 4 1/2 flight as anything but a chance to knock down the loco airlines - mistake fare didn't cross my mind until I came across mention of Dubai. Still, i've 100% of my mistake fares on BA being cancelled and 0% of other airlines (1 vs 4) I hope that no-one here was financially impacted by booking non refundable ancillaries.
As I reported a bit further up the thread, BA said to me they made (the same) mistake on both TLV and DXB fares.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Yes.

Prior to the abundance of blogs that are currently out there, it was FT that earned itself the reputation of being "The place good fares go to die".

There are loads of examples of these fares flying under the radar for years (those of us who used to use the ex-CMB F fares on EK will attest to that), and then within days of appearing on FT the fares were pulled. Ultimately, a small amount of people booking doesn't raise a flag, but once hundreds (or thousands) of people are booking F/J tickets from a remote destination on the same day, someone in fare management gets their arse kicked and it's gone.

Now, that being said, I have benefited from fares which I found out about on FT, so I personally take the 'win some, lose some' approach to these fares. Plus with the sheer amount of blogs peddling all these deals to their followers, FT is a drop in the ocean these days.
Thank you for confirming what I had suspected. I recall feeding time at the zoo with some of these fares. As this is a public Forum, I do not see how we can get around that. My own feeling, which may sound inconsistent, is that if this is a proper fare filed by the airline, then mistake or otherwise they should honour it. They can stop any more going out of the door, but those that took advantage well "Caveat Venditor"
Wozza2404 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by astutiumRob
love the fare structure, I wonder if you dont fly you can get the tax back and get paid more than the ticket ?
Round Trip to Tel Aviv from London Heathrow
Fare PPTaxes PPExtras PPTotal PPTravellersSubtotal
1 adult-£7.01£199.91£0.00£192.901£192.90
Given that the base cost of the ticket is negative at minus £7.01 it strikes me that BA are on relatively strong ground that the ticket is a mistake fare.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:10 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
A3 is Flying the same route (well,via ATH). Logically the tax amount should be similar-ish as both origin and destination levied the same tax and the aircraft type is the same. Yet A3 base fare is positive and the total amount is cheaper at 185 GBP.
So the negative base fare argument is shaky IMHO. And IANAL.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA
Something to note on the voucher, you only have until 31st July 2018 to use the voucher, can be for travel upto 30th June 2019 though.

You will find the base fare was only £1 and the discount below this was what the OTA applied to win the business.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by mobbo
Something to note on the voucher, you only have until 31st July 2018 to use the voucher, can be for travel upto 30th June 2019 though.

You will find the base fare was only £1 and the discount below this was what the OTA applied to win the business.
Thanks for reporting. Did you receive the voucher by email from BA?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA
No, there is no physical voucher the OTA applies a discount to your booking and then claims it back from BA
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mobbo
No, there is no physical voucher the OTA applies a discount to your booking and then claims it back from BA
Oh I see, so you have to book something through the same OTA? I had thought it would be a voucher code issued by BA direct to the customer for use on ba.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.