Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IB JFK-MAD connecting to BA MAD-LHR-JNB on separate ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Hi all,

I'm looking at an upcoming itinerary containing JFK-MAD (award) connecting to MAD-LHR-JNB (separate revenue ticket). JFK-MAD arrives at 10:05, and I have the choice of connecting to BA flights to LHR at 11:50 or 18:15. All the other MAD-LHR flights in between are operated by IB and cost quite a bit more.

Which would you book? Ideally I'd end up on the 11:50, which would give me ~8 hours in London (preferable over a similar amount of time in Madrid). That said, I'm aware that BA/IB as a matter of policy do not protect missed connections on separate tickets, and 1:45 seems to be cutting it a little close for that. If I do book the 18:15, how easy would it be to talk the BA/IB agents at MAD into confirming me on an earlier BA/IB service if everything goes smoothly?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I'd go for the longer connection in MAD due to the misconnect policy. MAD is a great city IMHO. Unless you're massively history and cultural averse a trip to the Prado museum will fill a few hours, plus a decent lunch to pad things out.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I'd go for the longer connection in MAD due to the misconnect policy. MAD is a great city IMHO. Unless you're massively history and cultural averse a trip to the Prado museum will fill a few hours, plus a decent lunch to pad things out.
I agree with you that MAD is a great city--I've been to both MAD and LHR. It's just that I have friends in the latter so would prefer to spend some time catching up with them there!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:12 pm

I wouldn't be comfortable booking the shorter connection given the onward to JNB. It's tight for a TATL and a relatively short delay will mess things up. If you're OK to spend the time you would have had in ZA in ES as a serendipitous outcome then great. Both are great countries.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:23 pm

Even if you are massively history and cultural averse, you can just go to Parque Retiro, chill out in a paddle boat for a bit, have a wander, a bite to eat and some vino. Hard to beat that for an afternoon. [Edit: Just seen your point re friends in London, but in any case...]

The longer connection in MAD is definitely the sensible option here given the risk to your onward ticket.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
And if you have bags, you will need to collect them in Madrid. Allow an hour from landing, and note that BA checkin closes an hour before the flight departs.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please remember that this is not a connection. Connections only occur across segments (coupons) of a single ticket. If you ask the wrong questions of IB or BA, you will get the wrong answer.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Please remember that this is not a connection. Connections only occur across segments (coupons) of a single ticket. If you ask the wrong questions of IB or BA, you will get the wrong answer.
Please give it a rest, Often1.

Firstly, the OP plainly knows he's talking about separate tickets.

Secondly, BA itself refers to these as 'connections' in its own policy on this very issue - see "Customers with connections travelling with separate tickets" here: https://tradeuk.custhelp.com/app/ans...tail/a_id/3533
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Take the MAD option. Transport into the city for T4 is easy. Eat some tapas and enjoy some cava
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Please give it a rest, Often1.

Firstly, the OP plainly knows he's talking about separate tickets.

Secondly, BA itself refers to these as 'connections' in its own policy on this very issue - see "Customers with connections travelling with separate tickets" here: https://tradeuk.custhelp.com/app/ans...tail/a_id/3533
Item 3 for "Non oneworld interline … in a single booking" for "Customers with connections travelling with separate tickets" surprised me a bit. I'd have expected protection on the same PNR.

Useful to know...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your helpful insights and suggestions on MAD activities! While I'm not checking bags, I'm going to take the prudent route and plan to spend half a day there. Looking forward to being back (albeit for a short while) after 6+ years!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dkc192
Thanks all for your helpful insights and suggestions on MAD activities! While I'm not checking bags, I'm going to take the prudent route and plan to spend half a day there. Looking forward to being back (albeit for a short while) after 6+ years!
What are the penalties associated should you miss the early flight? If on a flexible ticket where can easily change and take the later flight with no issue, then might as well book the early one ; if it is a ticket where the cost would be high or it isn't changeable, then definitely book the later flight
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

OK, I'm back with a newer scheme that folks may be able to chime in on. The price for the JNB ticket ex-AMS is ~$200 cheaper than ex-MAD, so I'm looking to go that route. I can add on MAD-LHR-AMS onto my existing JFK-MAD award for virtually no extra cost (no convenient MAD-AMS awards available), but doing so would force me onto a back-to-back in AMS and an immediate connection onto the last LHR-JNB of the night. Timing-wise, I'd have an hour between flights at AMS (18:50-19:50) and just over an hour between flights at LHR (20:05-21:10). Should things go pear-shaped, I know I'm unprotected at AMS but protected at LHR, with the former being less important since the same airplane will in all likelihood be operating both flights.

I also know that "protection" at LHR should I miss LHR-JNB would mean loss of a day on vacation. If things start looking bad during my first pass through LHR (on the way to AMS), would I have much luck getting a BA agent to just send me straight to JNB without going through AMS?

Other than the above, do you all see any other potential complications, etc. that I may be missing as a first-time back-to-back-er?

Last edited by dkc192; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:27 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:31 am

I think the weakest link is still that you need the MAD-LHR to get you onto the B2B ex-LON. What's the connection length at MAD, and how many services to be accommodated on if the booked one is missed due to TATL inbound delay? If you're still relying on taking the 11.50 with the chance of ending up on the 18.15 which sounds like it would be an immediate fail for joining the B2B then I wouldn't do that.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 12, 2018 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

I think the weakest link is still that you need the MAD-LHR to get you onto the B2B ex-LON. What's the connection length at MAD, and how many services to be accommodated on if the booked one is missed due to TATL inbound delay? If you're still relying on taking the 11.50 with the chance of ending up on the 18.15 which sounds like it would be an immediate fail for joining the B2B then I wouldn't do that.
Nope, I'd be on a 13:00 IB service, which is available as an award but not as part of the cheapest MAD-JNB fare. In all, my layovers would be: ~3.5 hours in MAD, ~1.5 hours in LHR, 1 hour in AMS (end award, commence revenue ticket), 1 hour in LHR.

Last edited by dkc192; Jun 13, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.