Wiki Posts
Search

Impressed with LHR this morning.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Impressed with LHR this morning.

Very quick through the airport this morning. Brother’s flight BA34 from KUL pulled onto T5 stand at 05.37 and he walked into the arrival hall at 06.00 , checked bag in hand. He was sat at the back of Y.
I was expecting him to be at least an hour.

Last edited by highpeaklad; Jun 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I bet the traffic queuing into the terminal took longer !
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:39 am
Suspended

That’s not bad going.

Interestingly Mixed Fleet are paid into base up until ‘Chocks on’ time (last time the handbrake is applied I believe, not doors open) plus 30 minutes - known as the ‘time to clear’ (security).

That 30 minutes is supposed to be the time it takes them to wait for all passengers to deplane, bypass immigration but still wait for their bags to appear. They are usually handled separately/first with/before F bags.

This is usually pretty accurate so whilst I often grumble that it ‘feels’ slow at T5 - often based on being first out the plane, finding no queue at immigration and then waiting anyway at baggage claim - 30 minutes is a pretty fair average the majority of the time. Oh to travel hand baggage only more often!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:16 am

Arrived into PER last December. From the time the wheels kissed the tarmac until I walked into the hotel lobby was around 50 mins. Best I’ve ever done.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
On a domestic flight into T5 I managed to be off the plane and on HEX in 14 minutes
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Very quick through the airport this morning. Brother’s flight pulled onto stand at 05.37 and he walked into the arrival hall at 06.00 , checked bag in hand.
I was expecting him to be at least an hour.
Airline, flight origin & terminal would add some colour to the discussion, too.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
On a domestic flight into T5 I managed to be off the plane and on HEX in 14 minutes
Ha! My record is international and 8 minutes. No queue at passports obvs.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
BA2598 VRN-LGW on Sunday 03/06 ariived more or less on time (STA 22:15). Quick taxi in, airbridge promptly attached, I walked briskly through the terminal, straight up to the border, had a quick chat and was through, didn't break stride as I body swerved the Customs officers and went through the Blue channel, straight out of Arrivals, down the stairs, nipped under the A23 and made it to the bus-stop with 3 minutes to spare before my bus was due at 22:35

17 minutes is a personal best I think
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
A few years ago I flew LIS - EDI on EZY. From parking at the stand to being in the car on my way home, I achieved this in no less than 9 mins. Granted I had no checked luggage but I think that was quite an achievement considering I was in 16F.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I was heading the other way this morning at LHR - i.e. departing rather than arriving, and at 5.30am it was absolutely heaving!

I arrived at the North end (business parking dropped off at arrivals strangely), saw big queues for standard bag drop, queuing well out of the tensabarriers, then I walked past the Club desks - queues of maybe 30 people there, then into the First Wing where both security machines were open but the queues were back to the BP check.

Got into GF and couldn't find a single table for breakfast in any of the "eating" sections to the left of the walkway, all the way to the wine / champagne area. Eventually took my breakfast all the way into the work area at the other end of GF.

I can't complain about the queues as most desks appeared to be open and both lines were open in the First Wing. I'm normally a Tuesday morning departer so was wondering if every Monday morning at 5.30am is like that??
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by nd100
Ha! My record is international and 8 minutes. No queue at passports obvs.
I doff my cap to you...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back when IRIS was around it was feasible (and not unusual) to do B gates to HEX in sub 15 mins, and if early morning bags wouldn’t take much longer.

e-gates, by dint of the general public incompetence factor are often much slower.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Back when IRIS was around it was feasible (and not unusual) to do B gates to HEX in sub 15 mins, and if early morning bags wouldn’t take much longer.

e-gates, by dint of the general public incompetence factor are often much slower.
Also, the technology is terrible (my passport scans perfectly everywhere else in the world but LHR & LGW), the face recognition doesn't work and the price we all paid as UK taxpayers was larcenous.

Someone should really be going to jail...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Airline, flight origin & terminal would add some colour to the discussion, too.
Oops. Fixed.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Premier (Level 1), Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond (via BA)
Originally Posted by Fitch
Also, the technology is terrible (my passport scans perfectly everywhere else in the world but LHR & LGW), the face recognition doesn't work and the price we all paid as UK taxpayers was larcenous.

Someone should really be going to jail...
Not sure If correct but I am led to believe the e-gates are not capable of face recognition. There is a room of people approving or rejecting faces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.