Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why are BA still having issues of sending the wrong emails to the wrong people?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

I received an email clearly intended for another passenger a few weeks ago. It includes their name and confirmation number and their itinerary, which means if I were a bad actor I could log in to their booking and do some fairly bad things - presumably cancel, change, select seats, order meals, and see a load personal information. Not that I've tried.

I've let BA know and they really don't seem to care. The first email I got back was a generic response with a link to their privacy policy. When I followed up asking if they could explain how this happened, and how I could get some assurance that my own data wasn't being similarly shared with the wrong people, they replied with a short 'sorry we can't answer your query as we don't know why this has happened.'

The thing is I know from browsing here that this has been happening for years. Why can't BA get a grip on the basics of data protection after all this time? Why do they seem so relaxed about something that seems like a systematic breach?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:17 pm

I would look up the BA CISO on LInkedIn and ask his opinion!
memesweeper likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Complain to the Information Commisioners Office who regulates data protection,

maybe then BA will sort themselves out when the ICO takes an interest.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
You should probably do both:-
  • nudge the CISO or similar senior security person
  • wait seven days for a meaningful response — if nothing raise with ICO

also, check back on Ancient Observer’s recent posts here.

Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If BA are not taking this seriously, Maybe access the other passengers booking and find out what there email address is & let them know you got there details sent to you by BA.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fontana
If BA are not taking this seriously, Maybe access the other passengers booking and find out what there email address is & let them know you got there details sent to you by BA.
I understand why you are suggesting it, and clearly BA shouldn’t have sent the details to the wrong person, but unauthorised access to someone else’s booking is not recommend as the OP could be committing an offence doing so.
hypercrypt likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I haven't done it, but I could most likely notify the passengers without accessing the booking as there's information in the confirmation email that I could use to find them on social media. I'm not super keen on the idea of scaring the pants off someone else by contacting them like that though. Although I do think perhaps BA should disclose the breach to them.

I'm just a bit perplexed that a large corporation in 2018 hasn't got some heavyweight processes in place for this. I'm baffled that this has been going on for years and they haven't prioritised a fix.

I may try and contact the CISO, and the ICO if nothing good comes of that.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
From this link: https://www.britishairways.com/en-ca...rivacy-policy#

"Keep your booking reference confidential

When you make a booking, you will be given a booking reference (also known as a PNR or Passenger Name Record). This will appear on the email confirmation or ticket of each person in your booking. You should always keep your booking reference confidential.

If you have further questions please get in touch with us by writing to Data Protection Officer, British Airways Plc, Waterside (HCB3), PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, UB7 0GB, England. "
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by dp1586
I would look up the BA CISO on LInkedIn and ask his opinion!
Her, I assume.
Sarah Bains, Data Protection Manager at British Airways
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-bains-a9878b8/
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by fishfish
I haven't done it, but I could most likely notify the passengers without accessing the booking as there's information in the confirmation email that I could use to find them on social media. I'm not super keen on the idea of scaring the pants off someone else by contacting them like that though. Although I do think perhaps BA should disclose the breach to them.

I'm just a bit perplexed that a large corporation in 2018 hasn't got some heavyweight processes in place for this. I'm baffled that this has been going on for years and they haven't prioritised a fix.

I may try and contact the CISO, and the ICO if nothing good comes of that.
Are you sure it’s not the result of the real booker mistakenly entering your email address instead of theirs? Could the two be similar?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Are you sure it’s not the result of the real booker mistakenly entering your email address instead of theirs? Could the two be similar?
I've done it in the past. Found the guy's son on Facebook and messaged him. The father thanked me profusely. His email address was nothing like mine.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Nope, not at all similar. And there is in fact a steady stream of posts like mine going back for a while. I'm 99% sure BA have some software issue which means confirmation emails occasionally go to a random, unrelated email address from their database.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you put this other person's details into https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...NS&LANGUAGE=GB rather than BA.com you could find an awful lot about them - moreso than you'll see in MMB

This is considerably poor form
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Bloody hell. I logged in to one of my own bookings. I can see my passport details in there, DOB, frequent flyer details, phone numbers, email addresses.

I had not realised it was that bad.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fishfish
Bloody hell. I logged in to one of my own bookings. I can see my passport details in there, DOB, frequent flyer details, phone numbers, email addresses.

I had not realised it was that bad.
It's bad ! Especially those social media folks that show their surname and booking ref on a boarding pass !
lavajava likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.