BA 55 LHR-JNB Sunday 10 June - delayed.

Old Jun 10, 18, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, BA GfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
BA 55 LHR-JNB Sunday 10 June - delayed.

Tonight's BA 55 to JNB is delayed until at least 21:00. Does anyone know the reason why, other than being told its a 'technical fault'. Family member is on the flight and connecting (separate tickets) onto a Comair flight from Jo'burg to Victoria Falls.

Doc. Copper
Old Jun 10, 18, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I don't know, but FWIW from some poking around: A quick look on FR24 suggests that the aircraft that's currently planned to operate the flight arrived at LHR this afternoon operating BA268 from LAX. That seems to be quite a common pattern for the aircraft operating BA55, without necessarily suffering a delay on BA55. So if there's a delay this evening, that would seem to be consistent with the aircraft having picked up some fault that needs to be fixed before her next departure.
Old Jun 10, 18, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Cannot see a reason at the moment, post departure a reason will be published.
Old Jun 10, 18, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both. As far as I am aware the technical issue was identified after crew had boarded.

Doc Copper
Old Jun 10, 18, 4:50 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Delay shows as Operational rather than Engineering, but I guess many things can be hidden under this appellation.

Also a long delay, but not long enough to get compensation. These are the most infuriating situations. Hope your friend makes their connection though.
Old Jun 11, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Curious to know the outcome of this @DoctorCopper. Did family member make the connection?
BA55 arrived at 9.52am per BA flight status and the flight to Vic Falls presumably departed at 11.25?
With through checked bags and international transfer in Jo'burg, it would have been ample time.
With separate tickets and presumably the need to clear immigration, collect bags and re-check them, it would be very tight indeed.
Old Jun 11, 18, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Believe it or not, I am still waiting to find out what happened on arrival in JNB. As soon as I have news I will advise.

Doc Copper
gcuk likes this.
Old Jun 11, 18, 3:31 pm

A friend of mine did the same route yesterday, also connecting to Vic Falls, and seems to have arrived safely. I believe they were on the same flight from Heathrow, as they mentioned it was delayed (I think there are 2 flights a day?)
Old Jun 12, 18, 2:46 am

There was damage found to the APU shroud which was found to be within limits but meant the APU could not be used for the flight(S). The Pre Conditioned Air from the jetty’s were not working to cool the aircraft enough so permission was required to start engines on stand to cool the aircraft prior to boarding.
The aircraft was initially set to fly to HKG but was changed to JNB as it was a later departure in the hope of minimising customer impact.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Update: My family member made the connection to VFA - seems I was misled and she was on one ticket. So, as gcuk stated if on one ticket - as it now transpires she was - it was a relatively easy connection.

squawk - Yes, there are 2 BA LHR-JNB flights daily. It was the A380 service (BA55) on Sunday 10-Jun that I was referring to. The later flight (BA57) is a 747.

Naz1 - Thanks for the explanation of the technical issues.

Doc Copper
squawk likes this.

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Jun 13, 18 at 9:36 am
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for letting us know the outcome @DoctorPepper.
It's always interesting to find out how these situations conclude and pleased this one ended well.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Naz1 View Post
There was damage found to the APU shroud which was found to be within limits but meant the APU could not be used for the flight(S). The Pre Conditioned Air from the jetty’s were not working to cool the aircraft enough so permission was required to start engines on stand to cool the aircraft prior to boarding.
The aircraft was initially set to fly to HKG but was changed to JNB as it was a later departure in the hope of minimising customer impact.
Naz1, as a matter of interest - I am about to pursue an EC261 claim with a BA partner - how does one ascertain the reason for a delay? I would be grateful to know of where this might be gleaned online after the fact but before contacting the airline in order to have some ammunition if fobbed off with the excuse that due to circumstances beyond their control..
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper View Post
Update: My family member made the connection to VFA - seems I was misled and she was on one ticket. So, as gcuk stated if on one ticket - as it now transpires she was - it was a relatively easy connection.
Thanks for the update @DoctorCopper - and the confirmation about the number/aircraft operating the flights. No EU261 comp as the final arrival time was the same - but my friend made their evening river cruise, which meant far more to them!
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by radiata View Post
Naz1, as a matter of interest - I am about to pursue an EC261 claim with a BA partner - how does one ascertain the reason for a delay? I would be grateful to know of where this might be gleaned online after the fact but before contacting the airline in order to have some ammunition if fobbed off with the excuse that due to circumstances beyond their control..
A lot depends on when the delay occurs. If, as happened here, the fault was discovered while the crew were running preflight safety checks, there would presumably have been announcements made at the gate. In other situations, I would make it a point to ask and to make a not of what is said.

Bear in mind that it is the carrier which must prove an extraordinary circumstance and while disputes arise as to whether a given fact pattern is "extraordinary" it does not appear that BA makes palpably false statements despite the fact the there are all manner of disagreements on FT.
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by radiata View Post
Hi, this info was direct from one of the network ops team members that was dealing with this delay planning. I can't remember which delay was attributed to having the largest impact in terms of minutes but I think it might have been the boarding delay due to high temps, not being able to run the APU didn't help.

Search this Thread