FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   747 First - buddy seat in row 1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1913570-747-first-buddy-seat-row-1-a.html)

jrc999 Jun 10, 2018 9:12 am

747 First - buddy seat in row 1

Apologies if this is on a thread elsewhere, but does anybody know if the buddy seat in row 1 (1A or 1K) is smaller than the other seats further back - eg 2A, 3A?
Flying PHX-LHR and planning to dine as couple (we did on A380 to SFO and it was great).
Had heard that due to the fuselage, that 1A and 1K were smaller.
Wanted to try and grab 1A, 1K at T-72 but would prob keep existing seats of 3A, 4A if they were a lot smaller.

Thanks
J

Woodbinerich Jun 10, 2018 9:20 am

Originally Posted by jrc999 (Post 29850086)
Apologies if this is on a thread elsewhere, but does anybody know if the buddy seat in row 1 (1A or 1K) is smaller than the other seats further back - eg 2A, 3A?
Flying PHX-LHR and planning to dine as couple (we did on A380 to SFO and it was great).
Had heard that due to the fuselage, that 1A and 1K were smaller.
Wanted to try and grab 1A, 1K at T-72 but would prob keep existing seats of 3A, 4A if they were a lot smaller.

Thanks
J

There are buddy seats in 1a and 1k , but they are a little narrower towards the back. I’ve sat in one , but invariably we end up choosing not to dine that way.

But I like the seats for the more forward facing windows, and privacy. I’d say worth trying once and not worrying too much about buddy seats, which are ok for a drink at least.

jrc999 Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 29850105)

There are buddy seats in 1a and 1k , but they are a little narrower towards the back. I’ve sat in one , but invariably we end up choosing not to dine that way.

But I like the seats for the more forward facing windows, and privacy. I’d say worth trying once and not worrying too much about buddy seats, which are ok for a drink at least.

Thanks- are the buddy seats bigger in the rows further back? We do enjoy dining opposite each other and helps to make the flight go faster!

Woodbinerich Jun 10, 2018 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jrc999 (Post 29850294)

Thanks- are the buddy seats bigger in the rows further back? We do enjoy dining opposite each other and helps to make the flight go faster!

I'm hesitant to answer definitively without going back to check old threads (of which I suspect there are many, not least the seating threads) but from memory it's more that in 1a etc, the back of the seat curves with the fuselage and gives less space to sit back. All F seats on the 747 are less roomy than the newer aircraft. You may find buddy dining less comfortable than A380 in any seats, although I have seen plenty of people enjoy it on this aircraft over the years.

The other thing to keep in mind in favour of 1A and 1K is that they are both window seats but you can chat much more easily as a couple whilst both enjoying the view from the nose.

Maybe check the flight loads as you come to T72. If they are low, there's a good chance you can have your cake and eat it by nabbing 1A and 1K, and having some buddy dining set up at another seat. The flight crew will have no problem doing this as long as there are a few spare seats. (or vice versa, but you may find someone else moves onboard if they see the front seats free!)

ukgooner Jun 10, 2018 11:15 am

Using the 1A/K buddy seat isn't brilliant for the person in the other 1 seat.

If it becomes obvious that they are going to spend a lot of time together, I often offer to switch.

Greenpen Jun 10, 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 29850406)
The other thing to keep in mind in favour of 1A and 1K is that they are both window seats but you can chat much more easily as a couple .....

No without the rest of the cabin hearing the conversation! And you’ll end up with a kinked neck or worse from having to twist round to see your friend.

JP Flyer Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Here’s a picture of me buddy dining with a colleague who joined me in F whilst I was sitting in 1k on the 747-400. As you can see, it is not quite the same as your normal F seat. I buddy dined with Mrs JP on the 777 recently and it was fun. The increased white noise from the 400mph wind going past the fuselage at the front of the aircraft masks quiet conversation and at least in 1k you are not taking right behind someone else’s head. On the triple 7 I was in 2k and my wife in 3 so I went back to reduce the impact to other passengers.https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...07039d29d.jpeg

starlight Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm

1 A/K feel narrower because of the wardrobe and it is quite tight if you are broad shouldered like me. However, Mrs S always appreciates the chivalry of me taking the buddy seat. Having said it’s narrow, however, with a few drinks on board and leaning forward to rest on the table, we have spent many flights having in depth conversations puttting the world to rights facing each other 😉. I would suggest, however, that if the load and crew allow, asking them to set up an E or F seat allows a much greater sense of space. As it’s FT, I will add that one should always be mindful of other passengers and their sleep if wishing to engage in long conversations over drinks!

baggageinhall Jun 10, 2018 2:17 pm

The buddy seat in 1A/1K feels much narrower at shoulder height than elsewhere in the cabin or on the 777. Mrs Baggageinhall and I like to use it ex-LHR to the US. On overnight returns it feels like it would disturb others.