BA Gold vs. AA Executive Platinum

Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I don’t fly neatly as much as you by the sounds of it but I do maintain AA and BA status. The AA platinum gets me bumped on domestics quite often and the BA Gold lets me use the Flagship Lounges even when crediting to AA.

I tend to credit US domestic flights in Y to AA and premium cabin flights to BA. I like to have a good stock of AAdvantage miles since redemption rates are very often better and always as soon as there is a connecting flight in your journey.

To answer your question on tier points post 1500, your next bonus is at 2500 which will get you a GUF2 voucher. This can upgrade up to 2 people on a complete (BA-metal) itinerary. This can be used on a redemption or, importantly, via a travel agent on a cash booking to upgrade into revenue buckets without needing award inventory. At 3500, you get 2 GUF1 vouchers, the same but each for 1 person. Other options come at each 1000 tier points. GGL and the CCR will come at 5000+.

Last edited by Tafflyer; Sep 23, 2018 at 1:35 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Blumie
Ok, so on the advice of this thread, I am now AA EXP and BA Gold. Now what?
It might have been an idea to give that some thought before you got to this point @:-)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Remember, BA's membership year is not a calendar year but 12 months to the day from when you signed up. My collection year, for example, ends on something like June 7. You earned Gold (1500 tier points) in around three months. Do you have enough time and flights left to get to 5000 tier points for GGL before your membership year expires? If so, I would think GGL would be worth going for. Then next year you can earn both again because GGL renewal is only 3000 tier points so the rest of your flights can go to AA or you can just push on towards lifetime Gold with BA at 35,000 TPs.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I don’t fly neatly as much as you by the sounds of it but I do maintain AA and BA status. The AA platinum gets me bumped on domestics quite often and the BA Gold lets me use the Flagship Lounges even when crediting to AA.

I tend to credit US domestic flights in Y to AA and premium cabin flights to BA. I like to have a good stock of AAdvantage miles since redemption rates are very often better and always as soon as there is a connecting flight in your journey.

To answer your question on tier points post 1500, your next bonus is at 2500 which will get you a GUF2 voucher. This can upgrade up to 2 people on a complete (BA-metal) itinerary. This can be used on a redemption or, importantly, via a travel agent on a cash booking to upgrade into revenue buckets without needing award inventory. At 3500, you get 2 GUF1 vouchers, the same but each for 1 person. Other options come at each 1000 tier points. GGL and the CCR will come at 5000+.

Thanks. This is all very helpful.

Originally Posted by golfmad
It might have been an idea to give that some thought before you got to this point @:-)
I did give it some thought before I got to this point. Based on the advice in this thread, I decided it was worthwhile to qualify for BA GLD, after which I'd consider my strategy going forward. That's exactly what I'm doing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.