BA Gold vs. AA Executive Platinum

Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Blumie

I think I’ll survive that. It’s more not using the F check-in and using the J lounge rather than the F lounge that have me frightened for my life.
Hi,

You can use F check in and the F lounge by showing your AA EXP card)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum
I'm a bit late to the party here so apologies. Personally, I don't understand why someone would use BA Exec Club when AA offer 4 systemwide upgrades and unlimited short-haul upgrades (even if you don't take them that often, 1-2 upgrades on short-haul would far exceed what BA would give you). Furthermore, if you have the flying ability to reach GGL, I'm assuming ConciergeKey is also within reaching distance? If so, I'd recommend sticking with AA.

The only added benefit of being BA rather than AA when flying on BA is the fact that your boarding card is Gold and your bag tag nicer (bigger and gold, rather than those little keychains they give with AA).

Personally, I'm sticking out with EI for their four free upgrades and companion ticket they give to their top tier members in hope they'll join OneWorld as a connect partner in the near future.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
Originally Posted by ASHFlyer
I'm a bit late to the party here so apologies. Personally, I don't understand why someone would use BA Exec Club when AA offer 4 systemwide upgrades and unlimited short-haul upgrades (even if you don't take them that often, 1-2 upgrades on short-haul would far exceed what BA would give you). Furthermore, if you have the flying ability to reach GGL, I'm assuming ConciergeKey is also within reaching distance? If so, I'd recommend sticking with AA.

The only added benefit of being BA rather than AA when flying on BA is the fact that your boarding card is Gold and your bag tag nicer (bigger and gold, rather than those little keychains they give with AA).

Personally, I'm sticking out with EI for their four free upgrades and companion ticket they give to their top tier members in hope they'll join OneWorld as a connect partner in the near future.
I switched from AA to BA so I can use AC lounges in the US without having to purchase an AC membership
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond

I thought CK was invitation only?

The SWUs are definitely a good benefit of being Executive Platinum, but the domestic upgrades I tend to dither a bit on. Even as EP there's no guarantee of these clearing and if you're booking revenue tickets in domestic First then there's no benefit at all. I have seen the airport upgrade list in the high teens / low twenties on some flights with maybe only one or two people clearing.

One definite advantage of using BA status would be for lounges - you would not only get AC access in places such as PHX but you would also get Flagship access in places such as LAX.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
I don't understand why someone would use BA Exec Club when AA offer 4 systemwide upgrades and unlimited short-haul upgrades (even if you don't take them that often, 1-2 upgrades on short-haul would far exceed what BA would give you).
As others have said, there’s also free lounge access (with better lounges than a paid Admirals Club membership, in some cases). And, you can use Flagship First checkin, even on domestic itineraries.

In general, my sense is that you get treated about as well as EP, and even better in some areas. I agree that the SWUs are a loss (although that depends on how likely it is you would use them). The question is whether the other benefits outweigh the value you put on those.

In my case, I switched for the free lounge access and because I found it easier to earn OWE through BA than AA with my flying pattern.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I thought CK was invitation only?
In theory, so is the Gold Guest List (see section 3 below)

https://askba-faqemail.custhelp.com/...t+Jan+2015.pdf
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by flying4workNfun
I switched from AA to BA so I can use AC lounges in the US without having to purchase an AC membership
Have you found that worthwhile? I have always seen the AC access benefits of BA status as being rather overstated on here.

AC membership isn't that costly and many of the lounges are ordinary at best so for me that would never be enough to justify that switch.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Have you found that worthwhile? I have always seen the AC access benefits of BA status as being rather overstated on here.

AC membership isn't that costly and many of the lounges are ordinary at best so for me that would never be enough to justify that switch.
Well, too be fair, I also no longer fly domestic US enough anymore to justify purchasing an AC membership (which I used to pay for), so I've only used it in the few times I needed it. It is not as if I use it weekly, but the few times that I did need OWE to access AC (which I otherwise would not have been able to aside from purchasing a day pass or AC membership), it worked great for me, functioned as designed and was nice to have. And yes, I cannot argue with you in that AC lounges do not compare to lounges belonging to non-US carriers, but if you are in an airport that only has an AC, it's nice to gain entry without having to pay extra.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by flying4workNfun
Well, too be fair, I also no longer fly domestic US enough anymore to justify purchasing an AC membership (which I used to pay for), so I've only used it in the few times I needed it. It is not as if I use it weekly, but the few times that I did need OWE to access AC (which I otherwise would not have been able to aside from purchasing a day pass or AC membership), it worked great for me, functioned as designed and was nice to have. And yes, I cannot argue with you in that AC lounges do not compare to lounges belonging to non-US carriers, but if you are in an airport that only has an AC, it's nice to gain entry without having to pay extra.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can see that it makes good sense in your circumstances.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Blueboys999

I originally bought an AC membership for the IRROPS handling. The lines for assistance are usually much shorter in the lounge, and the AC staff has been quite helpful, at times, to get me on my way.

As far as lounge quality, it depends which airports you use the most and what you value in a lounge. There are some ACs that I’m happy to skip. There are others that I find quite calm and quiet places to work or relax. And, then, there are the Flagship Lounges, if you fly through one of the airports that have one.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton

I think I’ll survive that. It’s more not using the F check-in and using the J lounge rather than the F lounge that have me frightened for my life.

Your travel patten seems doing well as GGL on BA, which, eventually, you will get Concorde room Card ( as well as 1 more guest than emerald when using BA regular lounge) to use in JFK, MIA, LHR, LAX, DXB, with etc... Also, you will have GU2 GU1 (in replacement of eVIP), meanwhile, your gold guest list redemption (2 a year) pretty assure you able to upgrade from J to F.
From time to time, you will receive "CK" treatment when traveling with AA.
If I understand correctly, flight from DXB has minimal fuel surcharge on BA for redemption purpose....
Potential Emerald for life reaching 35K...
Life is better on another side.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
you will get Concorde room Card ... to use in JFK, MIA, LHR, LAX, DXB
Only LHR and JFK from your list above have Concorde Room where the card may be used.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by golfmad
Only LHR and JFK from your list above have Concorde Room where the card may be used.
Yup, i stand corrected. My brain is not functioning as intended.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Ok, so on the advice of this thread, I am now AA EXP and BA Gold. Now what? If I continue to credit my OW flights to BA, I can get to at least 2,650 tier points this year, possibly more. Does that do anything for me? Other than going for lifetime Gold -- and I'm not sure that's in the cards at this point -- is there any difference between crediting flights to AA or BA for the remainder of the year?

(BTW, by using my BA number rather than my AA number in my reservation, I probably screwed myself out of a J-to-F upgrade on an AA-operated LAX-HKG flight. Even though I was using an AA-issued VIP upgrade, I was prioritized as a BA Silver rather than an AA EXP, and four people cleared into F ahead of me as a result. Oh well, at least J on AA's 773s is pretty darn good.)
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Ok, so on the advice of this thread, I am now AA EXP and BA Gold. Now what? If I continue to credit my OW flights to BA, I can get to at least 2,650 tier points this year, possibly more. Does that do anything for me? Other than going for lifetime Gold -- and I'm not sure that's in the cards at this point -- is there any difference between crediting flights to AA or BA for the remainder of the year?

(BTW, by using my BA number rather than my AA number in my reservation, I probably screwed myself out of a J-to-F upgrade on an AA-operated LAX-HKG flight. Even though I was using an AA-issued VIP upgrade, I was prioritized as a BA Silver rather than an AA EXP, and four people cleared into F ahead of me as a result. Oh well, at least J on AA's 773s is pretty darn good.)
Remember, BA's membership year is not a calendar year but 12 months to the day from when you signed up. My collection year, for example, ends on something like June 7. You earned Gold (1500 tier points) in around three months. Do you have enough time and flights left to get to 5000 tier points for GGL before your membership year expires? If so, I would think GGL would be worth going for. Then next year you can earn both again because GGL renewal is only 3000 tier points so the rest of your flights can go to AA or you can just push on towards lifetime Gold with BA at 35,000 TPs.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Sep 23, 2018 at 1:12 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.