Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Handling a misconnect/ last flight of the season

Old Jun 7, 18, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I just realized I am booked on a BWI-LHR-JTR flight on 9/28; the connection to JTR on 9/29 is the last BA flight on that service for the year. One of those things you don't necessarily think about when you book. Flying in J.

The connection in LHR is 90 minutes, so if the BWI flight is delayed by much, I'll miss my connection to JTR. In addition, there are no other flights to JTR on any other carrier with J class as far as I can see. The only other option from LHR would be an evening flight connecting in Germany, getting us into JTR 9 hours after scheduled arrival and too late to get the rental car. Not really an acceptable option.

If there are IROPS, how will BA handle this? Will BA be proactive about rebooking us in BWI (ideal) or likely make us sort it our in LHR? There's a LH flight from IAD that connects in MUC to JTR, but the delay would have to be known early enough to get from BWI to IAD (1 hour drive with no traffic). Would they rebook us on that flight? We would probably need BA to transfer us to that flight before we left for the airport to have a chance to make it to IAD; option B would be for us to get on that flight the next day. If this makes us lose a day of our holiday, would BA change our return flight as a courtesy so we have the same length of vacation? It's my understanding that under EC261, BA needs to get us to JTR in a comparable method of travel (i.e. same class of service), but from that thread, it seems like it's a pretty complex topic.

Hoping this risk will not come to fruition but I'd like to know my rights in the event it happens. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CurbedEnthusiasm; Jun 7, 18 at 9:29 pm Reason: Sorry for the typo in the title. Mods, can you please change it?
Old Jun 7, 18, 4:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm View Post
If there are IROPS, how will BA handle this? Will BA be proactive about rebooking us in BWI (ideal) or likely make us sort it our in LHR? .
It's a very good question but in a way there is very little you can do other than research the options - one exception coming up though. If it's totally clear that you won't make the connection then BWI may rebook you but it's such a small station that I suspect they will prefer to get you to London. If there are mass irrops (typically weather related) stations will be advised to route people directly. Otherwise it's likely that in LHR they'll route you via ATH or Lufthansa to get you there. JTR isn't exactly a big place, so if you call the hire car people and explain the problem I would expect them to be flexible. And you will have travel insurance.... Personally in this scenario I would book a hire car for the day after landing in JTR anyway, and use a taxi for arrival.

Here is the exception: Now the only people who are going to be helpful here (given this specific scenario where you are miles off the joint business sectors) are airport staff, so if you think / know something is going to happen then don't waste your time calling up. However if you see a late flight from LHR to BWI you can be reasonably sure what will happen to the arrival back to London. So if there is going to be a problem the one area where you can be proactive is arrive at BWI as soon as check-in opens (I think it's 3 hours there, but it will say in Manage My Booking / Other ways to check-in) and suggest the IAD route - or indeed suggest that you hop on the train to EWR where EK run direct flights to ATH. The ground agents will rebook this, the contact centre staff will not. Forget the Icelandair options, BA won't rebook on FI.
Old Jun 7, 18, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see, and quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about a hypothetical misconnection in more than 3 months which in all likelihood won't happen. If it does, you'll have to see there and then: if indeed a long delay is expected from the onset, you can ask at BWI and if not when you arrive at LHR, if you are booked on one ticket, BA has to take you to your destination anyway, but how will depend on what is possible and available there and then, and knowing that months earlier is simply not realistic, not to mention that it is far more likely that your BWI will in fact arrive on time or early and that you will be perfectly fine managing your connection anyway.
Often1 and Anonba like this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 4:45 pm

Well there's a 13.15 BA flight to ATH which allows you to connect, just about, to the Aegean hop to JTR. That may be an option. And there are direct flights from LGW at 14.25 and 16.00 on U2 and DY respectively. Alternatively VY via BCN which which gets in very late, but may be easier for BA to rebook you on themselves given the relationship.

Frankly I wouldn't give much of a hoot about J class in this situation if you want to actually get there quickly. The seats in Y and J are essentially the same whoever you end up flying.
Old Jun 7, 18, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), TG*G, EK Gold
Unless there is a cancellation of your IAD-LHR service or some really major disruption (several hours before departure time), you'll never be proactively rebooked on the LH flight (different airline, different alliance and different airport...).

If a regular delay caused you to misconnect, given the circumstances (no other BA flight and a bit of a complicated situation) I suspect that the situation would have to be sorted at LHR. Besides the LHR options, I have a feeling BA might try to rebook you on Vueling from LGW via BCN, which gets to JTR at 1am. But if you are to get to LGW, then the EasyJet or Norwegian direct flights would be far better and in this instance my first choice rather than a connection. I have no idea if BA would rebook on a low cost carrier; I am sure some of the experts here will be able to advise.

Options from LHR seem worse, as you pointed out: the LH connections via MUC or FRA would get you to JTR at 2:05am the next day, and OS via VIE is far too close the BA departure time (so if you miss the BA one due to a delay, it likely means OS is a no-go too). Not sure about Aegean.

I wouldn't get obsessed with the "same class of service" argument... An extra day in Santorini is certainly worth enduring intra-Europe economy for a little more than 3 hours. And, of course, in all likelihood you'll be absolutely fine.
Old Jun 7, 18, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold - ooooh!
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see, and quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about a hypothetical misconnection in more than 3 months which in all likelihood won't happen. ... it is far more likely that your BWI will in fact arrive on time or early and that you will be perfectly fine managing your connection anyway.
But see this thread for the unlikely event that happened to me and how it played out!

Contingency planning for ORD-LHR-NBO

(In other words, you’re smart for asking and having some backup plan in mind!)
Old Jun 7, 18, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Again, just trying to cover my bases. From everything I've read about IROPS, it seems better to suggest a solution to BA and push for that, so I just want to have my ducks in a row in the unlikely event this happens.
Old Jun 7, 18, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As always, have all of the alternatives in hand. It always pays to have the carrier & flight number handy. Many rebookings are non-obvious and while the fare rules are not important in IRROPS rebooking, those same rules do limit what BA (or any carrier) staff see.

As others note, unless a misconnect is self-evident, the standard practice would be to rebook on arrival. If things are looking poorly, do call ahead and see if you can't be rebooked xIAD. Do make certain that if the outbound is changed to IAD, that the inbound is as well.

I would also be less fussy about intra-European J as it is far from special and, if it would cause you significant distress to have to wait, you will need to make the choice.

It is worth remembering that if you ask for rebooking before it becomes a necessity, the chances of BA paying out EC 261/2004 compensation drop to nil. That may not be important to you, but it is a situation which you must consider.
Old Jun 7, 18, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would also be less fussy about intra-European J as it is far from special and, if it would cause you significant distress to have to wait, you will need to make the choice.
I'm not really. I was trying to convey that my understanding is that BA needs to get us to JTR in a comparable service; i.e. not in economy with three connections when we were booked in business with one connection.
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:22 pm
SK

Arrow Tempus edax rerum

The 13:15 BA flight to ATH arrives at 18:55. Then Aegean/Olympic have ATH-JTR flights at 19:50, 20:50, and 21:50 (block time is 45'). So, I think that might end up being a probable scenario.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Well there's a 13.15 BA flight to ATH which allows you to connect, just about, to the Aegean hop to JTR. That may be an option.
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa View Post
(In other words, you’re smart for asking and having some backup plan in mind!)
Being prepared if you face an irrop is good, but not now. How can you possibly what will run, with what sort of delay or not, with what sort of availability or not.

and being prepared is not the same as knowing how ba will ‘handle it’. Again, so many different scenarii depending of the cause of the hypothesised irrop etc. and again on what else is impacted, available etc.

Im not saying that if a problem occurs one shouldn’t do their checks whilst trying to resolve it with ba, I’m saying that the question asked and asked now on a hypothetical scenario is unanswerable and that any preparation made now and relied on is counter productive in that situations and options will be different there and then so that they will have to be explored from scratch on the day anyway.
Old Jun 8, 18, 2:00 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SK View Post
The 13:15 BA flight to ATH arrives at 18:55. Then Aegean/Olympic have ATH-JTR flights at 19:50, 20:50, and 21:50 (block time is 45'). So, I think that might end up being a probable scenario.
I would personally consider that to be your best bet, because there's so much more room for manoeuvre with the quantity of flights once you get to ATH. If you aren't offered CE on the BA flight, you could push for an A3 flight out of Terminal 2 as well - the food and wine on their Business Class is excellent, and you'll get more legroom than with Club Europe (generally, bulkheads accepted which will be the same).

You seem to have rolled the number of connections into the "comparable conditions" clause in EC261 - you ought to be aware that almost certainly has no chance of succeeding because it's designed for Class of Service. If the BWI staff try to push the issue onto LHR, eliminating your single stop EK option, you really don't have much comeback on that.

If you did end up on an OA flight at the end, you could only be seated in Y because that's all that's offered. You would technically be entitled to downgrade compensation, but it probably wouldn't be at a level worth claiming - the affected percentage of your journey would be something just over 1%, so you'd be lucky to see $30.
Old Jun 8, 18, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the valuable input. I know this all seems very premature, but given the circumstance that I was connecting on to BA’s last flight of the season to JTR, I thought this was unusual enough circumstances (at least for me) that I wanted to get some advice from others. Thank you again for helping me to understand what options are out there.