Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special/Unique European flights for aviation fans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special/Unique European flights for aviation fans

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would add the stunning Aran Islands off the west coast of Ireland, which you can fly to on Aer Arann Islands – each island has a small aerodrome, Inis Mor (IOR), Inis Meain (IIA) and Inis Oirr (INQ). Not BA, but I'm sure this group will be interested ;-)
Aer Arann Islands website

The airline offers tourist/scenic flights where they will stop on each island, but often they will combine flights anyway based on loads so you may find yourself doing a 10 minute stopover inadvertently! Weather is a risk though, they navigate by sight rather than instruments, so on an overcast day you will find yourself on the ferry…they fly from Connemara Airport (NNR), about a 30 min drive from Galway City (which you could get to via Knock, to pick up another airport mentioned in this thread).

And delighted to see CFN in my home county of Donegal mentioned above!
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Concerto
What about something in a Junkers 52? Later in August I will be flying from Essen-Mülheim ESS to Mönchengladbach MGL in a 1939 constructed Junkers!
I think would be an awesome trip,

I also prefer the smaller prop planes for doing the scenic flights as they fly lower and you can see a lot more, never mind the deafining ring of the propeller blades lol
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by daftboy
I would add the stunning Aran Islands off the west coast of Ireland, which you can fly to on Aer Arann Islands – each island has a small aerodrome, Inis Mor (IOR), Inis Meain (IIA) and Inis Oirr (INQ). Not BA, but I'm sure this group will be interested ;-)
Aer Arann Islands website

The airline offers tourist/scenic flights where they will stop on each island, but often they will combine flights anyway based on loads so you may find yourself doing a 10 minute stopover inadvertently! Weather is a risk though, they navigate by sight rather than instruments, so on an overcast day you will find yourself on the ferry…they fly from Connemara Airport (NNR), about a 30 min drive from Galway City (which you could get to via Knock, to pick up another airport mentioned in this thread).

And delighted to see CFN in my home county of Donegal mentioned above!
Looking at the website the images look reminiscent of the "Father Ted" opening credits. Was one of these the setting for the series?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Looking at the website the images look reminiscent of the "Father Ted" opening credits. Was one of these the setting for the series?
Well spotted, the islands are indeed in the opening credits serving as the fictional Craggy Island, but the house used for exterior shots of their home is nearby on the mainland in Co Clare - which you can visit of course! WHAT WE OFFER | Fr Ted's House
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Who wouldn't want to start a flight standing on the tarmac with ten other passengers while the pilot chooses where you sit based on your size ..........
Well possibly someone a bit sensitive about their weight might not...................
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anywhere in Scotland will do me as long as I can get a pint of heavy and a fish supper there.

The flight to Barra has to be the one.....no chippy there though.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I'm quite keen to take a flight in that DC3 they have parked up in Geneva, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Does anyone have any info on this. Not a lot on google I could find.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Not sure that flies any more - see BREITLING DC-3 HB-IRJ - WOLRD TOUR 2017 - Site Officiel - seems to be no activity since 2017

Best bet for a DC3 currently is Holland or Finland.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:02 am

For Holland try:

https://www.dutchdakota.nl/en/book-flight/plan-en-boek/

Some tempting flights from Schippol coming up - I think there is also a KLM DC3 flying.

Finland is here

DC-yhdistys ry - DC Association, DC-3 OH-LCH, Airveteran Oy
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA silver,
Originally Posted by bisonrav
For Holland try:

https://www.dutchdakota.nl/en/book-flight/plan-en-boek/

Some tempting flights from Schippol coming up - I think there is also a KLM DC3 flying.

Finland is here

DC-yhdistys ry - DC Association, DC-3 OH-LCH, Airveteran Oy
Also Norway
https://www.visitnorway.com/listings...a-norway/3588/ This DC3 is/used to be based at TRF/Sandefjord and could usually be seen parked by the side of the runway.
Apparently it used to be the private plane of a Finnish prime minister.

Several years ago I took a UK pleasure flight from Duxford in an Atlantic Airways DC3 (based at Coventry airport). Don't know whether they are still using it.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Sterling work @bisonrav & @rjhcambs !! I will investigate. Thanks Rich
@rjhcambs - Was it a good experience?? I think these things don't come that cheap.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The one trip I'd really love to do - again not BA - is Svalbard. I can't do it this year because of not having any holiday left, but maybe next year. It'd be lovely if Finnair managed to get a license.

I am quite hopeful of sliding in a Lukla trip next year as I'm doing a Kathmandu run.

Also just flying into Oslo in the winter is beautiful, particularly around dusk if it's clear. It's a magical landscape.
Its the sky inbound Oslo I love..
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Also island hopping in Maldives...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Their planes are all old Junkers, but it's cool to watch them fly over, sometimes up to three of them together....https://www.ju-air.ch/en
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by greg5
Their planes are all old Junkers, but it's cool to watch them fly over, sometimes up to three of them together....https://www.ju-air.ch/en
I'll be in a JU52 in Hannover on the 22nd July.

Sounds like it might be possible to charter a DC3 for a mini-do day out in AMS. Good aerospace museum nearby too I believe. Anyone up for it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.