Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special/Unique European flights for aviation fans

Special/Unique European flights for aviation fans

Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp

For the terminal building mainly.
A design from a different era, from front door to gate in a matter of yards. And if/when it closes, the chance is lost. Not sure if it still has the rooftop viewing gallery.

Plus you get to go to Berlin!
yeah but compared to the fabulous THF, this is not that special
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by orbitmic

yeah but compared to the fabulous THF, this is not that special
Absolutely, but try flying in to THF now...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Absolutely, but try flying in to THF now...
indeed, sadly...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Not Europe or entirely unique but I enjoyed a return from St Louis to Marion, IL for $29 each way, in the co-pilot's seat of a Cessna 402
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
SO many on BA alone but leaving Mauritius, a very long slow left hand turn sees this and lots of the island too. Beautiful take off and place to visit.

Vancouver approach the last hour is quite spectacular in my humble view.

oneworld - Hamilton Island in Australia was probably one of my favourite views and landings.

Peter - thanks for sharing this. Great memories of Hamilton Island
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:27 am

Courchevel.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

Peter - thanks for sharing this. Great memories of Hamilton Island
Hi, just to clarify that's Mauritius and taking off but likewise I also have fond memories of Hamilton Island :-)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Smile

Not BA and not Europe, but it was special and it was unique... overnight stop at NKW

Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The one trip I'd really love to do - again not BA - is Svalbard. I can't do it this year because of not having any holiday left, but maybe next year. It'd be lovely if Finnair managed to get a license.

I am quite hopeful of sliding in a Lukla trip next year as I'm doing a Kathmandu run.

Also just flying into Oslo in the winter is beautiful, particularly around dusk if it's clear. It's a magical landscape.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What about something in a Junkers 52? Later in August I will be flying from Essen-Mülheim ESS to Mönchengladbach MGL in a 1939 constructed Junkers!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The one trip I'd really love to do - again not BA - is Svalbard. I can't do it this year because of not having any holiday left, but maybe next year. It'd be lovely if Finnair managed to get a license.

I am quite hopeful of sliding in a Lukla trip next year as I'm doing a Kathmandu run.

Also just flying into Oslo in the winter is beautiful, particularly around dusk if it's clear. It's a magical landscape.
+ One for Svalbard!! A few years again, I did Ushaia (the southern most commercial airport) and I toyed with the idea doing Svalbard in the same year. If Finnair every get the licence, I'd be quite keen to do the inaugural flight, and maybe a Longyearbyen Mini-do!
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Row9
Not BA and not Europe, but it was special and it was unique... overnight stop at NKW
Wow, special indeed. What were the circumstances?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:45 am

How about a Zeppelin trip??

Fly to Friedrichshafen, or ferry/train from Zurich.....

https://zeppelin-nt.de/en/
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Scilly Isles
I don't feel this recommendation has had the support it deserves. From flying off the cliffs at Lands End Airport (a great way to finish the journey if you've come off the sleeper at Penzance) to the amazing arrival into St Mary's.

It's a long time since I did the flight, but I do remember passing over the remains of the famous helicopter crash, hope they've removed that now?!

Anyway, including them in my top 5 islands in the UK (amalgamating Scilly Isles into 1), top 5 beaches in UK, top 5 pubs in the UK Scilly Isles is also my favourite UK domestic flight.

Awaits someone to tell me how to get Avios and TP on the route
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by APUBleed
Sorry don't know where better to post - but if you're an aviation fan (based in London, but happy to travel) what are some of the most interesting/special/unique flights you can take? Three examples come to mind:

* BA1 LCY to JFK
* Loganair Westray to Papa Westray flight
* Gibraltar - main road going through the runway.

Looking for trip ideas! I guess looking for interesting scenery, aircraft, destinations, airlines, airports
If Loganair operate their Islander aircraft on this service then for the fun of the experience I would opt for that. One of the most fun and interesting flying experiences I've ever had was on a Trislander aircraft (a successor to the Islander) operated by Aurigny between Jersey and Guernsey, with a cross wind. Who wouldn't want to start a flight standing on the tarmac with ten other passengers while the pilot chooses where you sit based on your size

Aurigny got rid of these aircraft in 2015, otherwise I'd have suggested it. I'd rank it more fun and memorable than Druk Air into Paro (Bhutan), and an internal flight in Cuba on a converted military aircraft. Some of the best things in life are closer to home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.