Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special/Unique European flights for aviation fans

Special/Unique European flights for aviation fans

Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I'd certainly consider it, as long as the cost is manageable! I can think of someone else I could probably rope in.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I doubt it'd be expensive, you can see the prices on the site. I'll make a few enquiries.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I'll be in a JU52 in Hannover on the 22nd July.

Sounds like it might be possible to charter a DC3 for a mini-do day out in AMS. Good aerospace museum nearby too I believe. Anyone up for it?
Which Junkers operation did you book? The one offered by Deutsche Lufthansa or the private one? I booked with the latter.

https://ju52rundflug.de/
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
We are so far OT I can't see the shoreline but my parents house is overlooked by the Battle of Britain museum between Folkestone and Dover and every weekend we are buzzed by Spitfires

Spitfire Flight Experiences from Goodwood Aerodrome, UK
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:30 pm

I must admit I enjoyed HEL-TLL on the ATR, pilot pretty much gunned it from push back takeoff right over the city. No sense of levelling of almost seemed like a parabola. Straight accross the baltic right hand turn land at TLL taxi straight to the stand.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I'm taking a flight to Melila this week. Flight is about 25minutes on an ATR75 with Iberia and are quite cheap. Anyone else done it?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
We are so far OT I can't see the shoreline but my parents house is overlooked by the Battle of Britain museum between Folkestone and Dover and every weekend we are buzzed by Spitfires

Spitfire Flight Experiences from Goodwood Aerodrome, UK
I think we are precisely on topic!!!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Talking of DC3s Air Atlantique did some sight seeing flights a few years ago
I did one out of the old Southend Airport and flew up the Thames estuary

Are there any civil DC3s still on the UK register and airworthy?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:55 pm

Whale-watching off the California coast in a Twotter en-route from LAX to Santa Barbara. Then climbing inland (presumably to capture the ILS) before the intermediate stop at Oxnard.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
The Helsinki to Mariehalm run over the Finnish archipelago is unusual, fun and on a clear summer's morning or evening, breathtaking.
It's in an AY (Norra) ATR so you don't go too high and the Aland Islands are a different but wonderful destination if you like nature and a scandi-summer vibe.
Sipping free Champagne as an oneworld emerald member (unfortunately only plastic cups available).
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by djbenedict
Wow, special indeed. What were the circumstances?
Not a civilian flight: I was pax, but the aircraft was delivering some freight. Stunning place
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
After consultation with the toddler, we're booked to BRR next May. Sadly not a codeshare but the flight up to Glasgow was a bargain, about Ł100 for both of us from Gatwick.

Also looked into practicalities of doing Papa Westray to Westray, and this looks like it may be on for next year too.
rapidex likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The view of Hong Kong island on a westerly takeoff and a slow circle round to go east (and then possibly north) can be pretty good. On the left side of the aircraft you get a fine view of the main island as you are banked towards the ground.

Best done in seat 1A of a 747, but that's hard to find these days at that airport.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:02 am

Not quite Europe but the flight between Paro and Bumthang (in Bhutan) on Druk Airways was one of the most spectacular I have done. The landing at Bumthang makes the famous one into Paro look tame - the final approach involves the plane (ATR-42) following the contours of the steep river valley before landing among the stunning temples.

The flight from IPC (Easter Island) to Santiago gives you some pretty amazing views of the Moai shortly after takeoff.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by London_traveller
If Loganair operate their Islander aircraft on this service then for the fun of the experience I would opt for that. One of the most fun and interesting flying experiences I've ever had was on a Trislander aircraft (a successor to the Islander) operated by Aurigny between Jersey and Guernsey, with a cross wind. Who wouldn't want to start a flight standing on the tarmac with ten other passengers while the pilot chooses where you sit based on your size

Aurigny got rid of these aircraft in 2015, otherwise I'd have suggested it. I'd rank it more fun and memorable than Druk Air into Paro (Bhutan), and an internal flight in Cuba on a converted military aircraft. Some of the best things in life are closer to home.
Southampton to Alderney on the Trislander was definitely memorable. Starting with the airplsne, which looks like something a child imagined , then skimming just above the Channel with a direct view out the window.

The return Guernsey to Southampton on a J31 was an experience as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.