Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Downgrade BA flight multi-carrier reward flight

Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am currently a gold and after many years of saving Avios we have booked for three of us to have a grand tour of Asia using the Oneworld multi-carrier reward chart. We are all very excited for our three week trip.

The full trip is in business visiting at various places on the way. Returning home we booked JAL Tokyo to Moscow, BA Moscow to London (3rd Nov).

The Moscow to London flight is in First and we were really looking forward to this as we have never flown in First, it seemed like a nice ending to the trip. However today I received an email simply saying 'Your seats have been changed'.

The email states:

Your seats have been changed

For operational reasons, we had to change the seat(s) you had selected on one or more of the flights in your booking.We have done our best to ensure that the new seats you have been allocated are of the same type as your original seats or a suitable alternative where this has not been possible.

Next steps

We hope you find your new seats acceptable, in which case there is no need to contact us.If you are unhappy with your seats, you can request alternatives by logging in to Manage My Booking.Or you can apply for a refund if:
  • We are unable to seat you in a suitable alternative seat that you are happy with.
  • Due to flight disruption, you have to be moved to another flight, meaning that we are unable to seat you in a suitable alternative seat on your new flight that you are happy with.

Upon checking we have been downgraded to Club World I've checked and it appears that Moscow is now a seasonal First route, which ends the week prior.

Has a downgrade happened to anyone before on a multi-carrier reward booking? I don't think any refund is due.

We were only going via Moscow to fly first as this had availability that weekend (just an overnight only 24 hours)... Do you think BA would open up any availability to now skip Moscow (heading right back home), even if this was from another country or will it be simply though and this is the option available? We can't alter our journey (outbound dates) as we now have hotels and car hire booked for some of the countries we will be visiting. Any ideas?

I am disappointed that BA never called to discuss this.

Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

I had the same email from BA today, was booked LHR to DME on 30th December in First on a 777. Emailed to say they've changed my seat but in fact they've changed the cabin! Just on the phone to them now and they're saying it's not even the international edition of the A321, so it's the dreadful Club Europe seating. One hell of a downgrade! I would like to think they would go out of their way to help you. Fingers crossed and good luck
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by deepestblue
Hi all,

I am currently a gold and after many years of saving Avios we have booked for three of us to have a grand tour of Asia using the Oneworld multi-carrier reward chart. We are all very excited for our three week trip.

The full trip is in business visiting at various places on the way. Returning home we booked JAL Tokyo to Moscow, BA Moscow to London (3rd Nov).

The Moscow to London flight is in First and we were really looking forward to this as we have never flown in First, it seemed like a nice ending to the trip. However today I received an email simply saying 'Your seats have been changed'.

The email states:[h3]

Upon checking we have been downgraded to Club World I've checked and it appears that Moscow is now a seasonal First route, which ends the week prior.

Has a downgrade happened to anyone before on a multi-carrier reward booking? I don't think any refund is due.

We were only going via Moscow to fly first as this had availability that weekend (just an overnight only 24 hours)... Do you think BA would open up any availability to now skip Moscow (heading right back home), even if this was from another country or will it be simply though and this is the option available? We can't alter our journey (outbound dates) as we now have hotels and car hire booked for some of the countries we will be visiting. Any ideas?

I am disappointed that BA never called to discuss this.

Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance!
never had a downgrade but as its a multi partner if some of your sectors are in first and just this one in club I dont think you would be due a refund of avios

what would your ideal outcome be? You could call YouFirst and see if they can put you on a flight to London from Tokyo - I had a downgrade on a future trip for 2019 on one of the flights due to AA aircraft changes and I was allowed to reroute at no additional cost
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk deepestblue, and welcome to the BA forum though it's disappointing to read of the circumstances that brought you here.

I can only echo the advice of haroon145 - get yourself a list of alternatives (no need to check availability), rank them, the ring YouFirst to see what they can do for you. You may find some First alternatives via India perhaps, or Dubai.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thank you for your advice.... Some useful info...

Cheers!

[MENTION=793362]mr_moon[/MENTION] Awesome news! Happy days eh! Thanks, I didn't realise that it was a downgrade from First to Club Europe! Your 100% right that's a massive downgrade, I really don't want to end our family travels in Club Europe! So I defiantly want to change my plans now and find another way back home.

[MENTION=442575]haroon145[/MENTION] Thank you for that bit of info, I hadn't thought of calling YouFirst, I was thinking of calling the gold line... But that makes sense. Could I check when you were offered a reroute was this a reward flight?

[MENTION=262802]corporate-wage-slave[/MENTION] Thank you for the welcome... That's useful advice to look at some options prior to calling without looking at availability. Do you think I need to keep under the mileage band for the multi-carrier reward or just have alternatives on hand?...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
. Do you think I need to keep under the mileage band for the multi-carrier reward or just have alternatives on hand?...
I wouldn't worry in the first instance, make your preferred suggestion and see if they can make it happen. The only key thing here is not to accept something you're not really happy with, just say you'll need to think about it / check with someone. You should get through to YouFirst quite quickly so it's no big deal if it takes a couple of calls to resolve.
etiene likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:10 pm

Checking expertflyer it appears to be the CW A321 on all three flights still (including the new SVO frequency although curiously the CW seatmap is already under "airport control")

Although I would keep an eye on this as it wouldn't particularly surprise me to see Moscow downgraded to CE A320s at some point
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:23 am

Hi all,

Thank you for your advice.... Some useful info...

Cheers!

[MENTION=793362]mr_moon[/MENTION] Awesome news! Happy days eh! Thanks, I didn't realise that it was a downgrade from First to Club Europe! Your 100% right that's a massive downgrade, I really don't want to end our family travels in Club Europe! So I defiantly want to change my plans now and find another way back home.

[MENTION=442575]haroon145[/MENTION] Thank you for that bit of info, I hadn't thought of calling YouFirst, I was thinking of calling the gold line... But that makes sense. Could I check when you were offered a reroute was this a reward flight?

[MENTION=262802]corporate-wage-slave[/MENTION] Thank you for the welcome... That's useful advice to look at some options prior to calling without looking at availability. Do you think I need to keep under the mileage band for the multi-carrier reward or just have alternatives on hand?...
it was a few weeks ago, I would call youfirst as you will get through quickly... also you would need to keep under the same mileage band as far as Im aware do you know what your looking to change too?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

[MENTION=604252]sammyg901[/MENTION] Thanks for the update, I hadn't thought about the ex-BMI planes... That's a blast from the past, memories of my last BMI flight to Washington DC! But considering no first, which was the point of the stop over in the first place and saving 100+ in visa fees, plus time for getting the visa in person from Manchester... I'm thinking a change is the best approach if BA is willing.
[MENTION=262802]corporate-wage-slave[/MENTION] and [MENTION=442575]haroon145[/MENTION] Thanks for the advice I will hopefully try to call YouFirst tomorrow and I will update here with the outcome. I currently have the following legs booked for the three of us:
MAN-HKG - CX (Business)
HKG-TPE - CX (Business)
TPE-ICN - CX (Business)
GMP-HND - Separate reward ticket - JL (Business)
NRT-DME - JL (Business)
DME-LHR - BA (First)
LHR-MAN - BA (Club Europe).

GCMAP has the above route at 13813 and this was in the multi-carrier reward band at 10,001–14,000.

So assuming that a) I don't need to worry about BA first availability b) I need to keep under 14,000 c) would still like to fly a 'first' flight on the way home
Then PEK looks like a good option, JL reward availability to PEK as well.... If BA say no to this I may ask about Tokyo-London direct in business.

Any other options or ideas? Everything else I can think of takes me over the 14,000?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
[MENTION=604252]sammyg901[/MENTION] Thanks for the update, I hadn't thought about the ex-BMI planes... That's a blast from the past, memories of my last BMI flight to Washington DC! But considering no first, which was the point of the stop over in the first place and saving 100+ in visa fees, plus time for getting the visa in person from Manchester... I'm thinking a change is the best approach if BA is willing.
[MENTION=262802]corporate-wage-slave[/MENTION] and [MENTION=442575]haroon145[/MENTION] Thanks for the advice I will hopefully try to call YouFirst tomorrow and I will update here with the outcome. I currently have the following legs booked for the three of us:
MAN-HKG - CX (Business)
HKG-TPE - CX (Business)
TPE-ICN - CX (Business)
GMP-HND - Separate reward ticket - JL (Business)
NRT-DME - JL (Business)
DME-LHR - BA (First)
LHR-MAN - BA (Club Europe).

GCMAP has the above route at 13813 and this was in the multi-carrier reward band at 10,00114,000.

So assuming that a) I don't need to worry about BA first availability b) I need to keep under 14,000 c) would still like to fly a 'first' flight on the way home
Then PEK looks like a good option, JL reward availability to PEK as well.... If BA say no to this I may ask about Tokyo-London direct in business.

Any other options or ideas? Everything else I can think of takes me over the 14,000?
Personally Id worry about what you want first, and let them bring up the mileage band. Theyve changed your plans for their convenience, so hopefully theyll be flexible. I assume this priced at the business level of the multi-carrier chart?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I have one of those multi-partner tickets myself and my view is that youre not owed anything. Theres no extra Avios to pay for having that sector in F instead of J so theres no compensation due.

Others could argue that you are entitled to 75% of the Avios spent as youve been downgraded after the ticket was issued.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:27 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
It seems that the “Your seat has changed” emails we are receiving of late have been meaning a lot more than just a simple seat change. I got one two weeks ago and going into MMB found that the actual flight had been cancelled (again LHR-DME route). Never did receive a flight cancellation email notification. Is it intern season?

S
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Hi I just thought I would post the outcome so it helps anyone in a similar situation.

I called YouFirst and I was told that the change was due to issues with the Rolls Royce engines and that multiple flights have had swaps. I was told that their would likely be limited options as the route had no first cabin either side. I was advised I would receive a call later on as the agent had to check the policies which would apply for my booking.

I received a call later on advising that the agent had spoken to the supervisor and given this was a reward booking no alternatives would be offered, the booking was considered a business class ticket. The only option offered was to cancel and refund at no charge! I explained that I was not happy with this and would like to speak to the supervisor. I was promised a further call back.

On the third phone call (by the same agent) she explained that her supervisor had now given her two further options. a) 20,000 avios each and to keep the existing booking or b) re-booking direct Tokyo - London in club world. I accepted option b).

Overall I'm satisfied with the outcome and option b), the only reason we were coming back via Russia was due to no availability direct... The first class segment was a bonus and a nice way of ending the trip. I think ultimately if the reward flights direct were available at time of booking I would have booked this anyway rather than via Russia.

Hopes this helps others
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:57 am

Thank you for updating on this, and glad to hear a reasonable outcome seems to have been achieved.

I'm a little unfamiliar with these multi-carrier reward bookings... how does it end up that you can book a segment in First when the underlying ticket is Club/Business? If there's a thread that explains all this, I'm happy that someone point me to it.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mario
Others could argue that you are entitled to 75% of the Avios spent as youve been downgraded after the ticket was issued.
Very happy the OP came to a positive outcome, and well done to BA on this occasion.

Hypothetically speaking: If OP had gone for the 75% refund - would that have been for the DME-LHR leg or for the entire itinerary? The regulation seems not very clear - has this ever been tested in court?

If the latter, it sounds like an excellent money maker on complex multi-segment itineraries...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.