Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Vs CX - £350 Difference

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
BA on this route every time - the midday departure and early morning arrival into HK is not good for jetlag.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by CX828
So this will be AMS - BKK

BA 777 via LHR or CX A350-1000 via HKG
a superior airline, better food, better seat, better aircraft, cleaner aircraft and avoiding the Heathrow misconnections experience (and nor so much difference in timing to be a clincher) then CX anyday over BA for £175 each way.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
You do know what 350 quid in Bangkok will buy you ?
10 x GBP35
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Also remember to factor in any cabin bonuses depending on your mileage program and oneworld status. As a BA Gold/Silver, those status + cabin bonuses by flying BA do rack up the avios points (though probably not £350 worth). If all things are equal, including the price, then I would choose CX. But if CX is slightly more expensive, then I would personally look at flight timings/connections/arrival/departure times and go with what suits you best.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Travelling in J is by definition an unnecessary frivolous expense, and so given that I would definitely pay what I'm guessing is 10-20% difference to fly CX over BA. I do know the Europe - BKK route quite well and I've never seen CX to be even slightly competitive, so I am a bit surprised. I normally end up on QR or a cheaper (worse) option, but if CX would ever have me I would consider it (despite the detour - I'd probably see if I could spend some time in HKG).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Travelling in J is by definition an unnecessary frivolous expense, and so given that I would definitely pay what I'm guessing is 10-20% difference to fly CX over BA. I do know the Europe - BKK route quite well and I've never seen CX to be even slightly competitive, so I am a bit surprised. I normally end up on QR or a cheaper (worse) option, but if CX would ever have me I would consider it (despite the detour - I'd probably see if I could spend some time in HKG).
CX offer very competitive rates out of AMS. There have been a few other gems in the past like OSL-SYD or AKL around the £2K mark, and MAD-SIN recently at £1400.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Cymro
BA on this route every time - the midday departure and early morning arrival into HK is not good for jetlag.
OP could also look to take the CX flight via LHR, meaning the OP can benefit from the range of CX flight times offered out of LHR. This is a reasonable point, however, and the only one that might sway me to consider BA here.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above, what are the departure/transit/arrival times?
For me schedule is more important than (smallish) price differences.
Great Circle Mapper
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:37 am

CX without question, and only a small premium in the grand scheme of things to avoid the terrible BA 777 product.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
OP could also look to take the CX flight via LHR, meaning the OP can benefit from the range of CX flight times offered out of LHR. This is a reasonable point, however, and the only one that might sway me to consider BA here.
That's unlikely to be a permitted routing on CX for the cheaper fares - it would probably work from GOT, HEL or BUD, for example, and the prices can be similar. Even then, long layovers are not generally possible.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
BA 777 in J - no thanks, given that you're not even considering a direct flight option. That ranks somewhere near the bottom of options for travelling east. So CX it would be for that price difference (although of course the price differential means very different things to everyone).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Just had a look at the timings and surprised me that despite the backtrack, CX gets you there quicker. i.e. quickest connection:

CX 270 AMSHKG 1310 #0620
CX 705 HKGBKK 0800 1005
vs
BA 431 AMSLHR 1135 1155
BA 9 LHRBKK 1600 #0940

Anyway, my answer is that i'd fly BA and use the £350 to book another economy flight to Bangkok later in the year!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm the opposite; i prefer the early arrival and being snapped into a full day.

Anyway, 350GBP is worth it imo. The A350 really is a nice place to spend a few hours, the new CX J seat is vastly superior to Club World, you have onboard WiFi, and HKG is a far nicer transit point than LHR. If you were talking something like 1k extra i might reconsider.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I used to fly A LOT with CX and I have now been a BA regular for the past 2 years.

Of course this is highly subjective, but I would definitely pay (out of my own pocket) 350 quids to fly CX. I find the seat to be better, with far more privacy and storage space than BA. I also dislike the BA "ottoman" you have to pull up/down to sleep and no direct aisle access. CX seat is another world.

Food I remember preferring CX, but don't quote me on this one as I rarely eat onboard anyway.

Champagne is far better on CX.

I do agree though the 777 is incredibly noisy...

That said, once on the ground CX lounge experience is another planet compared to BA. CX Business lounge is another planet compared to Galleries First, I leave up to you to imagine with CX First is...
NoY likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I find the CX seat to be not that comfortable. It's nice, but lacking that certain something. The privacy aspect over the BA seat is a plus though.

I personally could find a better use for £350 than a CX over GF lounge but as with everything, it's your money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.