Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Willie [Walsh] doesn't want to fly on non-stop flights to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Willie [Walsh] doesn't want to fly on non-stop flights to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Calum
Wile
Wille
Thread title updated. Third time lucky.
orbitmic, Calum and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
BTW, shouldn't the title be :

"Willie [Walsh] doesn't want to fly on a BA non-stop flight to Australia" ?

And who could blame him, eh ?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Thread title updated. Third time lucky.
Jet lag has been getting the better of me recently but I'm sure Willie won't mind
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:48 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

I was watching a YouTube video of someone who did LHR-PER-SYD-AKL-DOH-LHR B2B in 72hrs... in economy... I don’t even know what to say about him but at least he enjoyed himself
Give them a medal. I’d not do that for all the tea in China. Nope. Just nope.

On the topic I suspect BA’s market share is going to slowly erode with the introduction of non stop ultra long hauls. Especially on airlines who have far superior J and F cabins, and Y cabins that feed you and have legroom and good IFE. It’s just a matter of time.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The real innovation would surely be a plane that can get there much faster.
We're using propulsion technology that is 70 years old, and nothing is likely to change in the near future.

It's a bit like all the money that gets wasted exploring the universe. The need is for speed, not a big telescope.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelwithross
Give them a medal. I’d not do that for all the tea in China. Nope. Just nope.
I would 100% do it for all the tea in China, even if it was B2B in the middle seat of a BA 788.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
We're using propulsion technology that is 70 years old, and nothing is likely to change in the near future.
Shows how good the technology is/was. Not to mention that engines have improved considerably.

Originally Posted by travelwithross
On the topic I suspect BA’s market share is going to slowly erode with the introduction of non stop ultra long hauls.
I suspect that many ultra long hauls won't be around for long.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Qantas were also recently discussing removing windows from planes so they could fly faster. I can't help thinking these ideas have come from a position of wanting to break new ground with ultra long haul.

I side with WW at the moment, I think BA would do better opening up new stopping services to AUS. Cargo and Passenger demand will shoot up if this free-trade deal goes ahead post-Brexit.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
When are the suborbital flights coming, the ones that fly NYC to SYD in two hours? Mind you, I'm still waiting for vacations on the Moon that we were 'promised' back in the 60s.
Branson will claim he's working on it and the first flights will be in three months time. Then he'll continue saying that every three months for the next twenty years.

His"space" flights are finally beginning in three months time though...
Calum and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there are enough J passengers around willing to pay the premium to fly non stop then BA will eventually do it.Whether the quoted 20% premium is anywhere near enough to make it worth BA's while is another question.

After eight hours on an aircraft even in J I just want off.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by email2markt
Cargo and Passenger demand will shoot up if this free-trade deal goes ahead post-Brexit.
stewardo likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
<snip>.

After eight hours on an aircraft even in J I just want off.
Well, I’ve managed fine on a 12h sector (LGW-CPT) ... and certainly felt a lot better at the end of it than some of our ‘creatve routings’. After Tuesday’s DUB-PHL-PHX (12 hours airborne) I felt totally knackered!

No idea how I would react to 20h + on a direct flight, and unlikely to ever discover either ... very TP-inefficient!!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I find it's a much easier journey taking a break for a night each way somewhere in the Far East (depending on carrier and route). I certainly wouldn't want to try it nonstop, even in J/F. I'd hate to think how bad it must be further back.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I was watching a YouTube video of someone who did LHR-PER-SYD-AKL-DOH-LHR B2B in 72hrs... in economy... I don’t even know what to say about him but at least he enjoyed himself
If you mean the guy behind Inflight Video, yes. He's a friend but I'd certainly want more time between! He was on the inaugural to Perth as well.

signol
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Agent69

It's a bit like all the money that gets wasted exploring the universe. The need is for speed, not a big telescope.
I think you are wrong there Agent69 the need is for both massive earth based telescopes and a really large visible light telescope in space not to mention probes to Neptune and Uranus.
We need that feeling of exploration and discovery to set our minds and imaginations free, the 13 billion dollar cost of the latest American aircraft carrier would pay for all of these things with only a few dollars over probably but think of the knowledge we would gain

DMF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.