Flight cancellation LHR-JFK

Old Jun 6, 18, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC-Plat/OWE, MPC, BAEC
Flight cancellation LHR-JFK

Hi all,

I was trying to get myself a seat over the phone when I was informed by the agent that the flight has been cancelled. It's AA6144, operated by BA as BA179, leaving on the 9th June. The strange thing is that I didn't receive any notification from either AA or BA about the cancellation. In general, do you get an email explaining the cancellation? How long before the flight will they issue this email? And then I was aware that the EU261 regulations will apply here, if I am offered an alternative that will bring me to JFK but will require me to arrive at LHR more than 3 hours earlier, will I be compensated? Thank you!

Cheers,
Kelvin
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 10:37 am

Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR View Post
Hi all,

I was trying to get myself a seat over the phone when I was informed by the agent that the flight has been cancelled. It's AA6144, operated by BA as BA179, leaving on the 9th June. The strange thing is that I didn't receive any notification from either AA or BA about the cancellation. In general, do you get an email explaining the cancellation? How long before the flight will they issue this email? And then I was aware that the EU261 regulations will apply here, if I am offered an alternative that will bring me to JFK but will require me to arrive at LHR more than 3 hours earlier, will I be compensated? Thank you!

Cheers,
Kelvin
Hi kelvin

Would you mind mentioning how things were left with the agent on the phone . If the cancellation was advised during a call with BA , what did they say with regards to it, as itís not very far off.

I think this might help responses to your questions.

Old Jun 6, 18, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post

Hi kelvin

Would you mind mentioning how things were left with the agent on the phone . If the cancellation was advised during a call with BA , what did they say with regards to it, as itís not very far off.

I think this might help responses to your questions.

Hi Woodbinerich,
I was trying to get myself over the phone a seat for the flight, because it is showing normally on the AA website. The agent provided me with alternatives though they are either more than 5 hours before original scheduled time of arrival, or requires departing the next day. I was quite shocked when they told me the flight is cancelled, they didn't give me a reason for that, just said they saw it on the system. They said I'll have to phone AA for rebooking, because I booked it on a AA codeshare in the first place.

Yeah it is 3 days before departure but I was not informed until this call, I am assuming the rest of the passengers are not informed at this moment.

Thank you!
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I was trying to get myself over the phone a seat for the flight, because it is showing normally on the AA website.
It's possible that the cancellation has only just occurred, because the flight's now no longer showing on the AA website. If it's one of those things that takes a few hours to propagate through the systems, then it may be that you coincidentally called soon after the cancellation had been effected.
Old Jun 6, 18, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
It's possible that the cancellation has only just occurred, because the flight's now no longer showing on the AA website. If it's one of those things that takes a few hours to propagate through the systems, then it may be that you coincidentally called soon after the cancellation had been effected.
Oh that could be why. Though I still see the flight in manage my booking with the aa website. I'll see how it goes! Thanks @Globaliser!
Old Jun 6, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Depending on what Class you're in then the AA107 @1700 has good availability in Business and Economy. BA flights have all become very full that evening so I suspect many passengers have been rebooked on those.
Old Jun 6, 18, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geo772 View Post
Depending on what Class you're in then the AA107 @1700 has good availability in Business and Economy. BA flights have all become very full that evening so I suspect many passengers have been rebooked on those.
Thank you, im calling aa for that
Old Jun 6, 18, 12:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Thank you, im calling aa for that
If your flight is booked with BA on a BA ticket you will need to call BA. AA cannot touch it until under airport control. Even then they are unlikely to touch it unless there was already an AA flight associated with the booking.

Old Jun 6, 18, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish View Post

If your flight is booked with BA on a BA ticket you will need to call BA. AA cannot touch it until under airport control. Even then they are unlikely to touch it unless there was already an AA flight associated with the booking.

forgot to mention, I booked it through aa with aa ticket stock, operated by ba
Old Jun 7, 18, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
forgot to mention, I booked it through aa with aa ticket stock, operated by ba
as a general rule the company you book tickets through is responsible for advising passengers of any changes to their flights so in your case AA should be the ones to have to,d you. If it was Expedia it wou,d be them and so on.

And they should be the ones to handle rerouting etc

Old Jun 7, 18, 2:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Call AA, they'll be happy to put you on the AA flight. There are few problems rerouting due to cancellations with AA tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: