Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled - option please?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Flight cancelled - option please?

We have just received an email to say our flight from YVR to LHR on 27th March 2019 has been cancelled. We'd booked two seats in CW with an Amex 2for1.

Before I call BA I'd just like to understand our options. I've checked availability and the only reward seats out of YYC in March are 31st (too late), so am looking at alternative airports. YVR only has economy reward seats that week, so I'm looking further afield to SEA which has two reward available in First on 28th March which we could stretch to.

Please can someone refresh me on the rule of rebooking a different airport at no additional cost, does it have to be within a certain number of miles?

Given the flight has been cancelled do BA have any obligation to get us to another airport?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'm guessing this is a flight from YYC, not YVR. I'd wait a couple days for BA to provide more options, stay put. There's another thread around here about this route suspension.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by saskew
We have just received an email to say our flight from YVR to LHR on 27th March 2019 has been cancelled.
Which flight were you booked on? I can see BA84 YVR-LHR on 27 March 2019 is still in the availability displays and still showing 9s across all cash booking classes (according to EF) - and it is still bookable on ba.com. So the first thing to do would be to check that the email wasn't simply a mistake, and to ask whether the flight has actually been cancelled.

If, however, it is a YYC-LHR flight (as BA6501 surmises), then I think that this is the thread: Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
I'm guessing this is a flight from YYC, not YVR. I'd wait a couple days for BA to provide more options, stay put. There's another thread around here about this route suspension.
My error I should have typed YYC sorry
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
(removed text, the original post had the wrong airport)

See Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18

and in particular the advice to wait until BA have sorted out some re-accommodation policy which has an option of not going via the USA.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Which flight were you booked on? I can see BA84 YVR-LHR on 27 March 2019 is still in the availability displays and still showing 9s across all cash booking classes (according to EF) - and it is still bookable on ba.com. So the first thing to do would be to check that the email wasn't simply a mistake, and to ask whether the flight has actually been cancelled.

If, however, it is a YYC-LHR flight (as BA6501 surmises), then I think that this is the thread: Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18
Thank you I had looked before posting but overlooked this thread
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Remember in cases like yours BA will open up reward seats to accommodate you so don’t worry if you're not seeing any CW seats or only economy.

whilst you wait a couple of days for BA to sort themselves out I’d spend a little bit of time looking at other flight options that suit yiu.

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:08 am

I thought there might have been a mix-up between YVR and YYC in the initial post...
The advice above to see what options BA offers is probably pretty solid advice. In the case of a cancelation, my experience is that BA open revenue seats for an alternative. I've never dealt with something this far out, though.
If you can make your own way to YVR, that will probably be the best solution here... as noted above the BA84 is wide open.
If it's important that you fly from YYC instead, then you can always ask if they will put you on an AS flight to SEA and connect to BA48, but that would involve a long layover in SEA.
Do think about what you really want before you call in and/or agree to a reroute, as you will probably only get one change without cost.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
I thought there might have been a mix-up between YVR and YYC in the initial post...
The advice above to see what options BA offers is probably pretty solid advice. In the case of a cancelation, my experience is that BA open revenue seats for an alternative. I've never dealt with something this far out, though.
If you can make your own way to YVR, that will probably be the best solution here... as noted above the BA84 is wide open.
If it's important that you fly from YYC instead, then you can always ask if they will put you on an AS flight to SEA and connect to BA48, but that would involve a long layover in SEA.
Do think about what you really want before you call in and/or agree to a reroute, as you will probably only get one change without cost.
Thank you that's good to hear they will open revenue seats. I'm sorry can you explain what an AS flight is please?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm sorry can you explain what an AS flight is please?
AS = Alaska Airlines.

It's the two-character IATA code for the airline, just as "BA" is for British Airways or "CX" for Cathay Pacific.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Thank you that's good to hear they will open revenue seats. I'm sorry can you explain what an AS flight is please?
Alaska Airlines
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Alaska Airlines - they do some codeshares with BA.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
AS = Alaska Airlines.

It's the two-character IATA code for the airline, just as "BA" is for British Airways or "CX" for Cathay Pacific.
Ah thank you. Can I expect to be charged for this flight or will BA cover it?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Typically, BA are among the bad guys when it comes to cancellations - not the only bad guys but bad guys nonetheless and worse than many competitors. They will rebook you on any ba service in the same class of travel, however, they will prefer to make you waste entire days rather than reaccommodate you in the same class of travel on competitors (arguably their ec261 obligation as it doesn’t specify airline) or on a ba flight in a higher class of travel (common sense which most decent airlines implement if there are no seats in your travel class on your original travel date). They will also avoid paying you ec262 regulatory compensation if they can find a loophole and will not inform you of your rights proactively though obliged to do so according to the regulations.

In short, do not expect them to play ‘fair’, they aren’t, and be ready to fight for your rights if need be.
Tiger_lily likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.