Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stupidity regarding paying for an upgrade then not accepted.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

I need help and BA in tthe UK is useless when I try calling them on Skype or my mobile.

My friend has a booking DXB-LHR-YYZ return in WT+. I paid for an upgrade to CW on the flights to YYZ and apparently the BA call center fellow said it went through - this was after Skype kept dropping off and I finally got through.

NOW there is a letter saying the card has expired and they want me to confirm card details. ...?? The card is good until 10/21 and I have been using it for about 2 weeks with no issues.

Skype gets cut off (I am calling from Qatar) and when I call the UK on my mobile BA does not answer and puts me on hold. Apparently the BA call center cannot call back.

HOW in the world can BA call me and get this payment situation sorted out? My friend flies on the 15th to LHR and then YYZ.

I hesitate to give my Qatar mobile number on a public forum and there is no way I can trust calling with Skype or my mobile to the UK center for BA any more.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there a BA customer service number for some other country that you can call more easily? It probably would have shorter hours than the UK call center(s).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Try sending a direct message on twitter.

As for the card, as the payment was not processed within a set time frame the CVV number will have been erased and so the payment can not be processed, hence why they require your card details again.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:33 am
Original Poster

I live in Qatar and the standard boilerplate answer (here and in the UK call centers) is that I have to call BA in the UK because call centers cannot call back.

Like I said, BA and whoever set this system up is quite ignorant of reality in ciommunicating through mobiles (BA puts me on hold or does not answer) and by Skype (which keeps dropping off).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 am
Original Poster

The basic problem is contacting BA reliably - which I cannot do. I don't use Twitter etc. Also due to "privacy issues" BA will not address this issue in the complaint/concerns emails I have sent. their re[ply also comes from an email "call center" that cannot call me back either.

I still need them to call me from the UK.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
I still need them to call me from the UK.
It's really not good that this situation is caused by BA's failure to process the payment on time, and that they cannot/will not call you back, or indeed answer the phone. It's poor customer service and there are numerous accounts on here of similar things.

Bottom line is that if you want this to go through, you will have to find a way to contact them. Don't count on their calling you back - it's not likely to happen.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Was the transaction in US or Canadian dollars? In which case it may not be quite as portrayed, depending on the timelines. If there was a gap over 6 days between submitting the credit card number and getting that message from BA then it's just a CCV data expiry issue. When you do get back to BA it will be a fairly short call so long as you have the information to hand. Alternatively do a DM via Twitter and someone will call you back within a few hours.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by tmac100
Apparently the BA call center cannot call back.
BA do call back for payment details - I've had it a couple of times. Were you talking to the India call centre, which can perhaps be confused on these things ?

I can see it being a bit of a challenge for their procedures to access the booking unless you have had yourself added as a nominee. My wife and I have same if it's a booking for one of us paid with the other's card. We then have to do booking security for whoever is flying before handing over the phone to whoever is paying. Can you set up a Skype 3-way call if needed?

I recall Japan being quite insistent at trying to get through for payment details:

Telephone: 03 3298 5238
Monday - Friday (except national holidays)
09:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00
My top tip is to call and be relaxed. Start with a simple statement that you've had a message asking to complete the payment, not a rant about how hard it all is.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 6, 2018 at 2:51 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Don't forget, Skype officially is blocked in Qatar so I'm not surprised you have issues to contact BA. Most likely you are using some VPN solutions which is not good for real time media. I'm not sure why you can't use your mobile phone and why are you on hold and never connected. As others suggested you might able to call a different regional BA office. I'm not sure if there is any VOIP provider in Qatar where you can reduce you phone bill so unfortunately you might need to use a landline phone to have a stable connectivity. The length of the call should be short if just the CCV expired. I would not count on BA to call you, but keep trying the twitter channel.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

The booking was paid in AED and it seems upgrade is too.
When my friend called from Dubai on her mobile she was on hold for 10 minutes and then the conversation with BA was garbled so badly that she had to hang up. With a mobile...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
BA do call back for payment details - I've had it a couple of times. Were you talking to the India call centre, which can perhaps be confused on these things ?

I can see it being a bit of a challenge for their procedures to access the booking unless you have had yourself added as a nominee. My wife and I have same if it's a booking for one of us paid with the other's card. We then have to do booking security for whoever is flying before handing over the phone to whoever is paying. Can you set up a Skype 3-way call if needed?

I recall Japan being quite insistent at trying to get through for payment details:

My top tip is to call and be relaxed. Start with a simple statement that you've had a message asking to complete the payment, not a rant about how hard it all is.
I call the UK call center. God knows where it is actually located. I start out calmly, but the bottom line is they have security issues and they won't call me back (to my mobile) from a call center.
They have NO IDEA what British telephone number is not actually switched to overseas...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krisz
Don't forget, Skype officially is blocked in Qatar so I'm not surprised you have issues to contact BA. Most likely you are using some VPN solutions which is not good for real time media. I'm not sure why you can't use your mobile phone and why are you on hold and never connected. As others suggested you might able to call a different regional BA office. I'm not sure if there is any VOIP provider in Qatar where you can reduce you phone bill so unfortunately you might need to use a landline phone to have a stable connectivity. The length of the call should be short if just the CCV expired. I would not count on BA to call you, but keep trying the twitter channel.
I use a VPN and Skype works because i call canada all the time with NO disconnections. This issue with UK is frustrating - especially when they don't answer my mobile calls and place my friend on hold for 10 minutes when she used her mobile in Qatar.

As I said, I don't have twitter nor facebook.

Looks like BA will lose out on a bunch of money for an upgrade.

By the way, I'd like to express my concerns about the poor customer service and lies about payment going through when in actuality it does not. Willie Walsh has a postal address. Anyone know what it is? I will be polite, BUT will give details as I have my Skype log and the names of BA customer service personnel with dates of conversations....
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Did you try the Qatar numbers?

Telephone: +974 44321434

Telephone: +974 44321435

Telephone: +974 44321436
Saturday - Thursday
08:00-13:00, 16:00-19:00
Closed on Friday
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

The Qatar numbers were tried. Just another "call center" with the boilerplate answer: You have to call BA in the UK to solve this issue... yadda. The lady also stated they cannot contact the UK for me and relay any numbers - security issues.

Willie walsh has to know about this kind of stupidity with BA "customer mis-service".
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:51 am

Have you tried using landline with a calling card option ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.