Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

24 hour Cancel and Rebook for cheaper fare? Allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar

So I booked flights last night.
They have reduced in cost by 70 quid now.
Can I just cancel and rebook?

Do BA have any issue with this?
I don't want to jeopardise my status with them.

Cheers!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
So I booked flights last night.
They have reduced in cost by 70 quid now.
Can I just cancel and rebook?

Do BA have any issue with this?
I don't want to jeopardise my status with them.

Cheers!
Wont be a problem. You can cancel for a full refund within 24 hours for whatever reason. Although, I would book that fare and then immediately call to cancel the other one, rather than cancel and then book... in case something happens with fare buckets while cancelling
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck

Wont be a problem. You can cancel for a full refund within 24 hours for whatever reason. Although, I would book that fare and then immediately call to cancel the other one, rather than cancel and then book... in case something happens with fare buckets while cancelling
Will that work? Can you have two bookings for the same person on the same flight for a while before you cancel the unwanted booking?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks! But I didnt mention I booked through expedia and it says so on the BA website, so refund looks unlikely. Lesson learned I guess!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Will that work? Can you have two bookings for the same person on the same flight for a while before you cancel the unwanted booking?
For a brief period, it's no problem.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:48 am

So, one could create a rolling 24-hour cancellation by buying a new flight and cancelling the old one every day until the price of the one you're about to buy goes up
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:50 am

Thanks! But I didnt mention I booked through expedia and it says so on the BA website, so refund looks unlikely. Lesson learned I guess!
Expedia allows cancellations by midnight on the same day of purchase.

If it's within 24 hours, you could just try and see what they say. Often they will follow the airline's policy rather than their own.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Absolutely critical. Fares available at one moment may be gone by the time one hits the "SEND" button. Then one is stuck with having to purchase new tickets at a perhaps vastly higher price.

While BA's COC prohibit impossible tickets, that is part of an ongoing "sweep" process which may take days or weeks. Here, this will all be accomplished in a minute or two.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
So, one could create a rolling 24-hour cancellation by buying a new flight and cancelling the old one every day until the price of the one you're about to buy goes up
Hmmm.... Maybe..... but maybe such an unusual usage pattern would trigger some anti-fraud measure of which one would not want to be on the receiving end!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Expedia allows cancellations by midnight on the same day of purchase.

If it's within 24 hours, you could just try and see what they say. Often they will follow the airline's policy rather than their own.
Tried to cancel with Expedia. Agent insists its a non refundable fare?! I argued regardless that BA has no fees within 24hrs of booking.

I suppose I could phone again to get another agent...but they charge a £25 change fee anyway so...meh

Thanks all!!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Delete

Last edited by Newbtravelle; Jun 5, 2018 at 12:54 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Tried to cancel with Expedia. Agent insists its a non refundable fare?! I argued regardless that BA has no fees within 24hrs of booking.

I suppose I could phone again to get another agent...but they charge a £25 change fee anyway so...meh

Thanks all!!
Are you sure you can't just cancel it online when you view your reservation on expedia.com (did that a couple of times in the 24-hour window). Think it explicitly says whether you can still cancel for free or not.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnargel
Are you sure you can't just cancel it online when you view your reservation on expedia.com (did that a couple of times in the 24-hour window). Think it explicitly says whether you can still cancel for free or not.
Hmm really? I've used expedia for ages and never seen this. Just had a proper search and saw no cancel option.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Hmm really? I've used expedia for ages and never seen this. Just had a proper search and saw no cancel option.
Don't have an active Expedia booking right now, let alone one I booked within the past 24 hours, so I cannot check. Maybe that only works with expedia.com though (not sure if you used the .com version)?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by gnargel
I think that's the US website only (expedia.com). Expedia.co.uk (assuming this is the site OP has used) doesn't say it, BUT the same cancellation policy does apply.

OP, I would HUACA. I've cancelled expedia UK bookings within 24 hours (usually on the same calendar day, though) without any issue. Push them on it!

Edit: And tell them it's nothing to do with the fare rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.