FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1912765-another-787-route-casualty-calgary-route-curtailed-w18.html)

YYCCL3 Jun 5, 2018 5:56 am

Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18

Heard unofficially that the YYC route will be suspended for 6 months over the winter. Disappointing if that's true. Anyone have the inside scoop?

I am curious to see what I will be offered as an alternative as I have a trip booked over this period already.

Calum Jun 5, 2018 5:58 am

It is quite shocking but yes, it is off the books for this winter.

florens Jun 5, 2018 6:22 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 29830720)
Heard unofficially that the YYC route will be suspended for 6 months over the winter. Disappointing if that's true. Anyone have the inside scoop?

I am curious to see what I will be offered as an alternative as I have a trip booked over this period already.

Probably a reroute via DFW/ORD on AA, as the Westjet codeshares don't exist anymore?

Tiger_lily Jun 5, 2018 6:22 am

Well that’s a complete and utter PITA 😡.

Tiger_lily Jun 5, 2018 6:24 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 29830793)
Probably a reroute via DFW/ORD on AA, as the Westjet codeshares don't exist anymore?

That’s the most likely.

makin'miles Jun 5, 2018 6:50 am

Ugh already booked for December... :(

Ldnn1 Jun 5, 2018 7:02 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 29830793)

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily (Post 29830803)

That’s the most likely.

It's entirely possible BA will agree a rerouting option with WestJet (or even Air Canada) via other Canadian gateways, and/or AS via SEA. We'll have to wait and see. Remember that finalised rerouting options usually take a few days to emerge after initial news of a cut.

Tiger_lily Jun 5, 2018 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 29830907)
It's entirely possible BA will agree a rerouting option with WestJet (or even Air Canada) via other Canadian gateways, and/or AS via SEA. We'll have to wait and see. Remember that finalised rerouting options usually take a few days to emerge after initial news of a cut.

It’s not official though yet is it? So options and info will be limited at this time.

BA will sell WS flights as connections to cities in AB and BC, for example, DUB-LHR-YYC-YLW could be booked on BA.com with the final segment on WS, so I think that they could offer up alternative gateways with a WS add-on. It’s just painful that there’s now a massive gap between YYZ and YVR without BA service in the short term.

Calum Jun 5, 2018 7:39 am

Although it might not happen in time for this winter, I think Westjet has a very real chance of joining OW connect. Canada has awful OW coverage so I’m sure it’s something the bosses at all the airlines are interested in.

makin'miles Jun 5, 2018 7:40 am

I'm curious if this is more related to the 787 shortage or the commercial viability of the route. Air Canada and Star Alliance carriers generally do a lot better out of Canada, and the relatively low value of the CAD can't help either.

That said, anecdotally I find the YYC-LHR to often have decent loads, including up front (the yields, however, I do not know).

I certainly hope rerouting other than via DFW is offered... that adds hours and hours to the trip.

Tiger_lily Jun 5, 2018 8:27 am

Every time we’ve done YYC it’s been rammed up front, although how many of those were op-ups I don’t know.

That said, BA were always way cheaper than KL or *A in the J cabin

Calum Jun 5, 2018 8:47 am

Only been to YYC once, it was fully loaded in Jan.

Tiger_lily Jun 5, 2018 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 29831261)
Only been to YYC once, it was fully loaded in Jan.

Our trips are always in winter

YYCCL3 Jun 5, 2018 10:10 am

Looks like for my trip in December YYZ is our best connection if this is offered - adds only 4 hours each way instead of 8 via DFW. A bit disappointed as one of the reasons I picked BA for this trip was due to the excellent flight and connection times.

cornishsimon Jun 5, 2018 10:27 am

Like others when I did the route a couple of years ago I had specific dates we. We’re to fly and as such had to go via DFW which was fairly painless. Our touting was due to the direct being full up front.

cs