Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lucastrand
Thanks I did notice the post. Out of interest is this information re bookimg with Air Canae published on the ba site?
It's on the travel trade site here https://www.speedbirdclub.com/en/all...yycsuspension/

Just select "I don't have an IATA number" and pick any country, I usually go for Netherlands.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It's on the travel trade site here https://www.speedbirdclub.com/en/all...yycsuspension/

Just select "I don't have an IATA number" and pick any country, I usually go for Netherlands.
tm
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:05 am

Thanks very much. I am now booked on a direct Air Canada LHR YYC.flight in busines class
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

I was looking at potential trips for later this year and see that the route is still designated as seasonal - last flights are on 25 October 2019 for the year. Looks like it may not be RR engine related, but a commercial decision? Anyone have any insight ?

If it's going to be purely a seasonal route, I'll admit that I'm a bit disappointed. The BA102/103 flight times were great.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:39 pm

I flew BA recently, they had a star by Calgary saying ‘seasonal’. I was also under the impression this was caused by the engine issues but now not so sure...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by feist
I flew BA recently, they had a star by Calgary saying ‘seasonal’. I was also under the impression this was caused by the engine issues but now not so sure...
Perhaps a combination of that and more profitable routes elsewhere? Although you can't really use the RR excuse when BA have been launching a lot of new routes recently on the 787.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I was looking for next winter in the current sale. The only route offered was LHR-DFW-YYC.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:15 am

Westjet will be flying their brand new 789 on the YYC-LGW route from 28 April. Looks very nice too with Super Diamond seats in J. Premium eco also available.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...on-from-april/
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I was looking today at travelling to YYC just before Xmas and coming back just after new year. BA.com could not even find a routing, it was claiming that all flights via DFW are sold out.

The article above also says that WS will be operating the 789 to DUB. I might look at prices...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:06 am
Suspended

I understand from a 787 captain that the de-icing costs to BA at YYC is what makes the route unviable in the Winter, on the return sector he was told that they had spent $10,000 already that week. He mentioned other carriers at the airport putting BA at a disadvantage somehow in relation, didn’t elaborate.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:13 am

The only thing I can think of is WS and AC hogging all of the equipment
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The Calgary and Alberta economy is in the crapper....that’s why the route is not viable year round. De-icing is definitely a new excuse! May as well write off Canada altogether!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Westjet will be flying their brand new 789 on the YYC-LGW route from 28 April. Looks very nice too with Super Diamond seats in J. Premium eco also available.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...on-from-april/
Probably that will kill any chance for BA to fly back to YYC with their crappy CW seats when compared to what WS and AC are offering on that route
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The only thing I can think of is WS and AC hogging all of the equipment
I believe both AC and WS own their deicing equipment at YYC. It's WS's main hub and a reasonably good sized hub for AC. BA would have a contractor doing deicing for them, but I'm pretty sure it's WS and AC's own employees doing their planes.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:45 am

Westjet don't have any scheduled direct flights on the dreamliner to the UK after October 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.