Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 787 route casualty - Calgary route curtailed W18

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:34 am

AS via Seattle has just been added as an option:

Rebooking Allowance on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Rebook onto Alaska Airlines (AS) services between Seattle (SEA) and Calgary (YYC) or v.v. as close to the original travel date as possible between 28 October 2018 and 30 March 2019

Use the following classes: Club World - Use F or P class
World Traveller Plus - Use Y/S/B/M/H/Q/L/V class
World Traveller - Use S/B/M/H/Q/L/V/K/G/T/R class

Then rebook a connecting British Airways operated service between Seattle (SEA) and London (LHR) or v.v.

Rebook into the same class as original or if not available the lowest class in the same cabin

Must add:
OS AS INVOL SKED CHG
OS AS PSGR or Agents Telephone Number

Additional Information
Redemption tickets, staff personal and duty tickets are not included in the rebooking agreement.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

I can't copy and paste well since I'm on my phone but there was an update to the policy today. Last alternative option being AS from SEA to YYC . Redemption tickets not included. The line stating that they are still in contact with other carriers has been removed .Looks like that's it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Not covering redemption tickets is pretty tight
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by makin'miles
AS via Seattle has just been added as an option:
They have also removed:

Rebooking Allowance on other carriers

We are in contact with additional interline partners for a possible involuntary rebooking guideline onto their services. These will be published as received.
BA has a requirement to make reasonable efforts to avoid additional connections, and the total travel time should, if possible, be as reasonably close as possible to the scheduled travel time of the original journey.

If they can do it for revenue tickets, I don't think they have made reasonable efforts etc for redemption tickets and therefore are not providing re-routing under comparable conditions. There is no exclusion in the regs for redemption tickets.

The only option I have been offered is rebooking via DFW, resulting in the journey time increasing from 8 hours to 17 hours.

How do you think I should proceed?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Since it appears there are no more options forthcoming without a fight, I decided to rebook using the DFW transfer - it actually works out not too bad in one direction as my final destination is CDG and I'm able to hop the AA CDG-DFW on the way home. Me and my family all have GE so hopefully CBP isn't too painful. 4.5 hours extra on the outbound and 6 extra on the inbound. Not great but not the worst either. Will have a chance to try out J on AA's 77W which I haven't been on before.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Since it appears there are no more options forthcoming without a fight, I decided to rebook using the DFW transfer - it actually works out not too bad in one direction as my final destination is CDG and I'm able to hop the AA CDG-DFW on the way home. Me and my family all have GE so hopefully CBP isn't too painful. 4.5 hours extra on the outbound and 6 extra on the inbound. Not great but not the worst either. Will have a chance to try out J on AA's 77W which I haven't been on before.
I've experienced J on the AA 77W LAX-SYD and walked through BA J. I'd say AA J on the 77W is far and away a better hard product than BA J.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by drakepassage

How do you think I should proceed?
Perhaps try pushing for an AC connection from YVR-YYC? They have already said YVR is allowable, and that avoids your problem of transit through the USA. I believe under EC261 they are responsible for delivering you to your ticketed destination, and if you can't get a visa then through the USA is an illegal routing.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, BA AMEX
There does appear to be a late YVR - YYC flight leaving at 20:25 but landing at 22:45 at YYC with two small children is not going to be any less hassle than going via DFW where the times are a little better. So I will call today and see what happens.

I have 2x Amex 2for1 bookings at Christmas. If I get nothing but the miles back and no rebooking, I will not be impressed. If I had know this I would have been able to book WS in Jan when they were substantially cheaper!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, BA AMEX
So there is no option to be re-routed to Calgary. Is this legal under EC261? The call centre is claiming that they have no obligation to reroute to Calgary because the route is no longer an active route they fly. She said this is true even for cash tickets.

There is no availability via DFW because no onward availability on AA.

They will force open cash seats to YVR but then we are on our own with awkward connections to YYC from there.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by goap
The call centre is claiming that they have no obligation to reroute to Calgary because the route is no longer an active route they fly. She said this is true even for cash tickets.
That is complete codswallop.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

BA really doesn't appear to be doing all that they can here. I'm OK with my re-route - I like to try different J cabins and I never have any other reason to transit to EU via the US

Put this situation in contrast with WestJet who a few months ago cancelled a route that I was booked on; the morning of the cancellation they had me rebooked on a UA flight as close to the originally booked time as possible. I didn't have to do anything except confirm the change.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
So there is no option to be re-routed to Calgary. Is this legal under EC261? The call centre is claiming that they have no obligation to reroute to Calgary because the route is no longer an active route they fly. She said this is true even for cash tickets.

There is no availability via DFW because no onward availability on AA.

They will force open cash seats to YVR but then we are on our own with awkward connections to YYC from there.
What utter garbage. Have you tried tweeting them?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'll pile in too and say this isn't the case. If they can't get you to Calgary on the day, or at a pinch the next day, and assuming the offer of a cancellation refund is unhelpful, then you need to formally request to BA that they provide a particular alternative, and then pursue them afterwards for any losses. Also, if YVR/YYZ does work, I would accept it "under duress" and then bill them for the flight to YUL. Make copious notes of what is offered, note the name of whom you are speaking to, and ask them to anote the PNR with your requests.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Also, if YVR/YYZ does work, I would accept it "under duress" and then bill them for the flight to YUL.
Hmm, that's maybe just a tad cheeky if the original booking was to YYC.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Also, if YVR/YYZ does work, I would accept it "under duress" and then bill them for the flight to YUL.
I assume you mean YYC, not YUL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.