OpUps as Gold vs Silver

Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
OpUps as Gold vs Silver

I am on 1245 TPs with 6 months to go till my TP year expires, for the first time after a number of years of hitting 600-800 TPs. So I am very likely to hit Gold or maybe even GGL at a stretch.

As a Silver, the single most valuable occasional benefit has been OpUps from WTP to CW (averaging 50-75% per year on 10+ sectors).

But I read so many stories of people who turned Gold and then saw the OpUps dry up significantly.

Is this the general consensus and do we think this is linked to how DUTs algorithm works?

I am not sure GF, First Wing, the nice QF & CX F lounges are worth going for Gold for, if it means I am much less likely to get OpUps.

I know I should not expect anything more than the cabin I pay for yada yada - the informal perk is still a perk.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Ive only ever had Opups as a GCH - didnt get any as a SCH.

Your track record sounds exceptional. I certainly wouldnt avoid Gold on the based on maybe getting more Opups as Silver.
TPRun, rockflyertalk and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
As an add-on question, does BA just not have a CIV score for me as IB platino but someone that obviously flies BA quite a lot?

I've got a flight this week in B class and I'm really hoping for some sort of op-up as it seems to be rammed full in general.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
I am on 1245 TPs with 6 months to go till my TP year expires, for the first time after a number of years of hitting 600-800 TPs. So I am very likely to hit Gold or maybe even GGL at a stretch.

As a Silver, the single most valuable occasional benefit has been OpUps from WTP to CW (averaging 50-75% per year on 10+ sectors).

But I read so many stories of people who turned Gold and then saw the OpUps dry up significantly.

Is this the general consensus and do we think this is linked to how DUTs algorithm works?

I am not sure GF, First Wing, the nice QF & CX F lounges are worth going for Gold for, if it means I am much less likely to get OpUps.

I know I should not expect anything more than the cabin I pay for yada yada - the informal perk is still a perk.
What's an OpUp?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I had one op up in 4 years of Silver and none as a Gold in 6 months. Not sure what that means.

I’ve always had the mantra book the class of travel you want however and then you won’t be disappointed.

The First Wing check in and security and Galleries First, the extra Avios and extra reward availability for me are features of Gold that are worth it as opposed to the hope of an upgrade,
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Never had a single op up.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
As a single passenger flying in W on traffic heavy routes, I suspect you stand a reasonable chance of being upgraded as either a silver or a gold. I wouldn't worry about it personally as it sounds like your travel pattern is going to take you to gold anyway. Enjoy the First wing and the lounges, they are a definite step up from the Galleries Club offerings.
FlyingGames and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
The problem with this topic is that pretty much all of the evidence is anecdotal (and there is reams of it on this forum!).
My sense , both personally and from reading quite a bit of it over the years, is that it is much more route and cabin dependent than specific status level. I would not worry about this question, just go for gold if thats what you want and enjoy the benefits.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Foofighter69

I would guess it is more route/load specific than silver or gold. My boss and his predecessor have enjoyed a similar rate of Op-UP on LHR-BOS as you have had.
However for me ive had 2 op-ups in over 250 BA flights,
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have definitely noticed the OpUps dry up (WTP to CW) as Gold as opposed to Silver. And this has not been due to the lack of full cabins. I never pre order a meal and am usually travelling for business on my own.

I think there may be many factors that mean you can be ignored for an OpUp though including the seat you have chosen and if you have SSSS on your card.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
As an add-on question, does BA just not have a CIV score for me as IB platino but someone that obviously flies BA quite a lot?

I've got a flight this week in B class and I'm really hoping for some sort of op-up as it seems to be rammed full in general.
B will help and you may have a low CIV hidden in the system thanks to previous bookings. CIV isn't the only criteria, nor is B, but a busy WT / WTP may sometimes lead to a a lot of movements.

Generally speaking Golds should get more upgrades than Silvers but "generally speaking" covers a multitude of things.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilge, Air Canada Aeroplan
I definitely found that mine dried up when I was Gold for a year. Like you as a silver around 50% of my flights attracted one. When I became gold I had no OpUps for a year, and they resumed again when dropped down to silver!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lolbert
What's an OpUp?
Operational Upgrade - if the cabin you're in is oversold they look for people to move up a class.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by babats
Operational Upgrade - if the cabin you're in is oversold they look for people to move up a class.
Lack of familiarity with the term is understandable if you only fly first....
ThatT1Feeling and awestphal like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Never had a single long haul upgrade on BA as years and years as GGL and years as GCH and previously SCH before that. Getting fairly frequent short haul upgrades which make little difference to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.