Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA269 to LAX immigration customs time frame

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Amex Premium Plus, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP

We will shortly be traveling to LAX on BA269 arriving at 19:20 in the evening. Any feedback on the time frame involved to clear immigration/customs. Any tips to speed things up as I've heard from friends that over 2 hours is not unusual. If it helps all 4 of us (UK passport holders) will be in first which we've been able to achieve via two Amex 2-4-1's and all the fantastic advice received over the years from this forum^
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Depends on who lands ahead of you. If you come in just after the Chinese a380 and the New Zealand 773, you could be waiting well over an hour. Other times, it's been less than 20 mins. All I can suggest is to try and sit as far forward as you can to get off ahead of the other passengers. If you're using your 241 for a J ticket, go for upper deck near the front door, you'll deplane without having to wait for First Class.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It should be under an hour really, and hopefully shorter, the biggest factor is whether your aircraft is on time and/or the movements of other aircraft, about which you won't be able to do very much. Clearly a rapid passage / brisk stroll to CBP will help since it will take a while for the main WT cabin to get to CBP. If you have been to the USA on ESTAs before then reading up on the kiosk process / videos on the TSA website will perhaps help, but since thousands of people get through CBP every hour without watching videos, it probably won't make much difference.
Freddie Laker likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:36 am

You could check historic data here: https://awt.cbp.gov/
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback.

creflo, that link is great and has some interesting data.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BA, VS
Not a recent experience, but we did this flight a few years back, just after the A380 started on the route. We were late leaving LHR and landed after the Chinese flight. It seemed to take an age for each group of passenger to pass customs, plus customs booths started to close down which really didn't help. It was at least 2-hours, then a massive queue at car hire it was gone 11pm before we were on the road. Then to top it all off, Interstate 405 was closed for roadwork with non-existent diversion signs!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mjuler
Not a recent experience, but we did this flight a few years back, just after the A380 started on the route. We were late leaving LHR and landed after the Chinese flight. It seemed to take an age for each group of passenger to pass customs, plus customs booths started to close down which really didn't help. It was at least 2-hours, then a massive queue at car hire it was gone 11pm before we were on the road. Then to top it all off, Interstate 405 was closed for roadwork with non-existent diversion signs!
That sounds like the days before the kiosks were introduced. Now those on ESTA bypass the main immigration lines and head to the kiosks. Much quicker than of old.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Definitely use the toilet before landing rather than after landing before joining the immigration queue and don't stop on the way to the queue, so that you are ahead of most of your aircraft's passenger load. That is a good idea anywhere in the USA

USA immigration these days is greatly improved by their automated kiosks, one really can't compare experiences from years ago before they were introduced. They're a genuine paradigm-change for US CBP.
PETER01, Freddie Laker and BAMuc like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:38 am

There is little consistency, unfortunately. I had a few horror experiences when travelling on one of my passports which is not eligible for Global Entry and no SS picking me up. In one instance a couple of months ago I was in the queue to the kiosks for about 1 hour (ie: 1 hour to get to the kiosks plus then another 20 minutes to get stamped and exit). Other times I was in the baggage hall within 5 minutes.

One key variable is whether anyone in your group will get the dreaded “X” on the kiosk’s receipt. That can happen even if you are on ESTA and can depend on a variety of factors. That would mean another - usually long - queue to see an immigration officer, which could take AGES. So, my advice would be to build generous contingency if you have other plans afterwards.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjuler
Now that does sound like a nightmare that I could do without.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That sounds like the days before the kiosks were introduced. Now those on ESTA bypass the main immigration lines and head to the kiosks. Much quicker than of old.
I didn't know there was a different line for ESTA passengers. I assume the "ESTA" line is clearly identified as I've not been to LAX for over 20 years.

Originally Posted by flying_pig
There is little consistency, unfortunately. I had a few horror experiences when travelling on one of my passports which is not eligible for Global Entry and no SS picking me up. In one instance a couple of months ago I was in the queue to the kiosks for about 1 hour (ie: 1 hour to get to the kiosks plus then another 20 minutes to get stamped and exit). Other times I was in the baggage hall within 5 minutes.

One key variable is whether anyone in your group will get the dreaded “X” on the kiosk’s receipt. That can happen even if you are on ESTA and can depend on a variety of factors. That would mean another - usually long - queue to see an immigration officer, which could take AGES. So, my advice would be to build generous contingency if you have other plans afterwards.
Only plans afterwards are onward travel to our hotel in Universal City via a pre-booked shuttle service. Hopefully they'll wait for us if we're delayed
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Freddie Laker
... I didn't know there was a different line for ESTA passengers. I assume the "ESTA" line is clearly identified as I've not been to LAX for over 20 years...
You will almost certainly be directed there, if not you will find the kiosks to the left of the Immigration Hall. There is always an agent barking instructions.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Jun 5, 2018 at 5:09 am Reason: Fat fingers
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
We flew into BOS on WTP so we were off the plane sharpish. There were 3 flights that landed around the same time and the queues were something else. Took an hour to get to the kiosks. I found the biggest problems with the kiosks was the fingerprint scanning so we both got the dreaded X. Then had to join another queue to see a human face which took another 30 mins. If you can ensure your fingers are pressed down at the right place....

Our last trip to the States, we went from Dublin. Ten mins to get through the US pre-check. Bliss! Dublin now preferred route to USA!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:16 pm

Took that flight in April. Immigration was far quicker than we expected (using those machines), even though two other flights were coming through at the same time. But baggage delivery was slow and Avis pick up (even in the preferred area) was hopelessly disorganised.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well done on the 4 x F using 2-4-1 ! That is a great success to LAX
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
LAX 269 Data Point

Did the trip last year on October on the same flight...

4 PAX
3PAX in CW 1 in WT+ All on upper deck
Special Baggage (Bike)
Total of 8 pieces of baggage.
Landed just over 15 minutes late
Was in Hotel Room by 21:30 @ Renaissance Inn
This included a 30 min wait for the hotel shuttle bus

I was rejected by the machine which had a hissy fit, but I was quicker than those who where accepted straight away.

Last edited by SWISSBOBBY; Jun 7, 2018 at 2:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.